No announcement yet.

Shaolin monk lineage names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be a stupid question but you never know until you ask, As I'm a practicing Shaolin monk, I have my born name but was wondering if I could use the name Shi Ming?

Thank you
    YF

Comment

No question is too stupid.

You can call yourself whatever you want. But, I suggest that you come up with a "generation" name to put between Shi and Ming.

Why did you pick "Ming"?
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

It's my uinderstanding that a chinese surname can be chosen in several ways, I selected it from the Ming Dynasty period. How can one choose a generation if you've not been taught by a master.

Thank you

YF

Comment

So, your a practicing shaolin monk but have never studied with one before? Have you ever been to a buddhist temple? taken the vows? know any martial arts? how did you learn of shaolin? how long have you been practicing it?
          The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

I live by the laws of Shaolin and practice Buddhism, I have been to a Buddhist temple many times in my country. I've studied martial arts for over 15 years. I originally heard of Shaolin through the silent hand system.

Comment

The laws of shaolin eh. What would those laws be exactly? Im seriously curious. Also, I dont think you can claim to be a monk unless youve gone through the proper ritual and all that jazz. Have you done this? Ive never heard of the silent hand system could you tell me a bit more about it?
              The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Required to respect the master, honour the Moral Way and love fellow disciples as brothers and sisters.
                Required to train the Shaolin arts diligently, and as a pre-requisite, to be physically and mentally healthy.
                Required to be filial to parents, be respectful to the elderly, and protective of the young.
                Required to uphold righteousness, and to be both wise and courageous.
                Forbidden to be ungrateful and unscrupulous, ignoring the Laws of man and heaven.
                Forbidden to rape, molest, do evil, steal, rob, abduct or cheat.
                Forbidden to associate with wicked people; forbidden to do any sorts of wickedness.
                Forbidden to abuse power, be it official or physical; forbidden to oppress the good and bully the kind.
                Obliged to be humane, compassionate and spread love, and to realize everlasting peace and happiness for all people.
                Obliged to be chivalrous and generous, to nurture talents and pass on the Shaolin arts to deserving disciples.

Comment

Well, there are others out there just like you.

With the name "Ming" too.

What a coincidence.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

what about shi "yan" ming? that sounds like a good one...!
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Those are some interesting rules. I dont think i've heard of any of them before as being official shaolin monk rules. Could you answer the other questions i brought up?

Comment

these "laws" were taken from one of WKK's sites:

i don't see them anywhere else, which, is to say, it's probably a good indicator of where this is going.........
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                        X