Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad decisions while hopelessly in love...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad decisions while hopelessly in love...

Hey man,

As one of the few true 'Mr Experienced' I know, this one's for you.

I have a friend, one of my very best friends, who has this girl. In a couple of months he's preparing to move to Israel to study for a few years to follow this girl who's doing the same. He's nuts about her. Really nuts. Which is fine, if that's what he wants. The only problem is that a few people have told me that she likes him alot, but doesn't feel the same way and just doesn't have the heart to tell him so and hurt him. I've seen him pretty down when he thinks she's pushing him off, so I can just imagine his reaction to her ending it. Anyway, my problem is that if she's not that interested she shouldn't be letting him follow her round the world and messing up his career, life routine, whatever you want to call it. Cos if she does break up in Israel, it will mess him up for a couple of years trying to settle down again. And imo that's the last thing he needs right now.

So what do you think. Do I stick my oar in and try to make her tell him she's not that interested if that's really what she feels [if not then it's all cool], or do I stay out of this one? I don't wanna see him waste his time for the next couple of years for nothing...

bleh, I think he's waay to obsessed with this girl anyway, he never has a second to himself...meh, I dunno....can't meddle too much....

thanks Docta

Now there's a question from hell. Especially after a night of dealing with completely irrational women in church. Have I got a headache. It's all Steve's fault....

OK, lots of issues here. And, lots of questions. As is always the case in these situations, there are far too many unknowns for comfort.

We've got a situation where one individual has deeper feelings than the other. When complicated by an upcoming forced separation, these things just don't always work out well. They're difficult to deal with, and difficult to figure out what to do. But, before we get into it some more, let's complicate the issue even more.

We really don't know what her true feelings are about him. It's your impression, and your friend's impressions, that she does not care for her boyfriend all that much. But, is it really that clear, that she doesn't care about him? Is it always easy to figure out what a woman really wants or desires? (Ha!) It is quite possible that she is just hiding her real feelings when around his friends, and that she really does love him, though, from my experience, hiding feelings is not common behavior with women. Usually, a friend's impression of a relationship can be fairly accurate, for friends are external to the emotions of the relationship, and see it in more rational terms. Let's assume, for argument's sake, that your impressions are correct, and she's looking forward to going to Israel without him.

We also really don't know, what would happen if he did follow her to Israel. It's quite possible that his following her would demonstrate a love and devotion that she didn't expect, a demonstration that actually might cause her to strengthen her feelings for him. Also, being alone in a foreign land, might cause her some consternation, which could cause the two to actually get closer together. Then again, the new environment, with new and interesting men, might cause her to want to "explore" a bit, activity which would just rip your friend's guts out. It's just too hard to tell, what the future will bring for her. And for him.

The whole idea of him uprooting his education and career, to travel to Israel, also has positive and negative connotations. The move might actually be good for him, it might open up some doors in his career that he might not realize at home, and the travel to a foreign land would most definitely be a worthwhile educational experience in and of itself. But, it could be a very painful one, especially if he's watching his beloved whore herself in this newfound land of fresh masculine meat. I've been there before, and it's not a pleasant experience. So, again, good and bad things can happen with this move.

One could counter with the whole idea that he shouldn't be selfish and throw away a possibly fantastic love relationship with his girlfriend, just so that he could continue with his career. I could counter that with the concept that she's only one woman. There are over two billion of them on this planet, why get hung up or ruin one's career plans because of one? Again, two ways of looking at the same problem.

Well, when you're in a situation where there are too many variables to really make a decision, the best thing to do, is to get more information. And the only way to do this, in this situation, is for your friend to sit her down and have a real discussion. One in which final decisions need to be made. It's not fair to her for him to accompany her to Israel, when she might not want him to go (she actually might be partially leaving to get away from him). It's not fair to him to travel across the world to a strange land, and uproot his life and plans, for a woman. Or, for a woman who may or may not love him). They have to talk. He has to be strong, and basically let her know how he feels about her, with the understanding of course, that she has to reveal the same. They have to make this decision of his, of whether or not to go with her, a mutual one. She has just as much input into it as he does. And she has to be strong, by being honest in her discussion. If there's any sense of hesitancy, or any question of her feelings, he's got to let her go. Women are great, I truly do love them. But, they're more hampered by emotions (and hormones) than we men are sometimes. Unless there's a strong feeling present, with strong evidence of a desired continued devotion, then the hell with her. Let her go. There are two billion of them out there, he's bound to find another. And no doubt, a better one at that. He'll look back at this as a learning experience. If he goes, and finds out that he left for nothing, it will be far more than a learning experience. It could end up being a nightmare.

Personally, I never follow a woman anywhere. My life is my life. I've yet to meet one woman that was worth disrupting my career path, education, or plans. And had I changed my career path for a woman, I most definitely would not be in the place I am today. Now I've had some pretty serious relationships in the past, all of which never really amounted to anything long term, and, that, is a bit unfortunate. But, it is telling also. It tells me that none of those relationships were worth altering my life for. One day I might meet someone that will change my life, though, at this stage, I kind of doubt it. I think that it's unfortunate that these events and decisions have to be made, but, in a way, they are also very telling. It's obvious that this is causing your friend a lot of pain and grief, but, in a way, that very pain and grief is giving him the answer to his question. Relationships should not be work. They should not be hard. They should not cause pain and grief. If they do, get rid of them. Relationships should be enlightening, educational, fun, comfortable, enjoyable. They should not be "work". This one, obviously is not the former.

As to what to do, ie, should his friends talk to him and tell him, well, most definitely yes. That's what friends are for. When I look back on my life, I still have some of the friends I had in grammar school. But then again, I'm just that kind of guy; New Yorkers tend to have friends for life I can't say the same thing about my ex girlfriends. They're in someone else's bed. Or some football team's bed. They move on; friends don't. My point is, in two years, you're probably still going to be friends with this guy; she's going to be married to some moron who will cheat on her and divorce her in a few years. (Oh, the choices that women make, now that's another discussion). It all boils down to needs. But, this is another discussion.

You need to sit down with him and basically tell him that you're not sure he's doing the right thing. You need to strongly advise him that he should have a real heart to heart with his girlfriend, and try to ascertain what it is that she really wants. And if he doesn't do this, then I think you have the right to advise him that, in your opinion, from your observations, you don't think that she has the same feelings for him that he has for her, and that you think he's making a terrible mistake. Now, if he's really obsessed, he might tell you to go to hell, and go to Israel with her. Well, we all make choices in life, and we all have to live with them. He'll make his, and he'll learn from it. And one day, you might be friends again. Then, you might not. But, no loss. We all move on. And we all have to move on living with the decisions that we all individually make.

My decision in this case, is to try to educate him. Education is the key when the situation is murky. Explore, question, research. Make him do the same. That's what relationships are all about, whether they be of a friendly nature, or of a serious deep love relationship. It's all about mutual education. Help your friend or your partner learn. If he does, he might come to a different conclusion regarding this situation, and make the appropriate choice. Then again, he might not. But at least, you did what you should have done for your friend. He is, after all, your friend.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

via private messaging....

Thanks so much man, you're a gem.

Never let me down.

Well, I know that he's not obsessed to the point of insanity, so he shouldn't be too hard headed when I have a word with him. And he's said before that his close friends are more valuable then a lovey dovey relationship; I don't think he'd tell me to go to hell over a girl. I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks again....

Tell him to dump the bitch. Get a younger one with bigger boobs and a better body. Hell, I'm done obsessing over these nut jobs. Oh, by the way, they're all nut jobs to some degree, lol. It's just not worth it.

doc

Rofl, and there I was thinking that the great bald one is actually capable of delicate thought.

lol

That was delicate. I didn't call her a ****ing bitch, did I? LOL
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

The follow up....

You remember the guy I wrote to you about with girl troubles? Well, he's going to Israel in the end, but he's convinced me that it's really to study for himself. He's not expecting to stay with this girl; he says it'll be nice if they do, but he's come to terms with the fact that they probably won't (as they'll be in pretty different places, different circumstances).

But he bought her a car yesterday. LOL. Talk about landing one on her. She kinda looked shellshocked. I think I saw kinda the opposite of what you described in your post. She didn't really jump all over him for such a display of devotion, she really just looked like 'sweet jesus, I wasn't expecting this, wtf have I got myself into?' Lol, a sight to behold. But naturally, it seemed to be completely lost on my friend. Oh, the joys of infatuation...

So I think I was right, she ain't as nuts about him as he is about her. And after this, I'm wondering where it'll go. My guess is they'll probably say their tearful goodbyes at the airport.

Rofl, nearly all my friends have split up just after giving their girl an expensive present. These chicks really know how to rinse a guy....

Well children, welcome to doc's neighborhood. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, won't you be my neighbor? Children, can you spell "***** whipped"? Can you spell "moron"? Oh, your mommies told you not to use that word? Don't worry, we can use that word for guys like this. You see, guys like this just don't think. No, no thought processes at all. All they can think about is love. Children, one of these days, I'm going to tell you about love....

Oh, and any of you little bastards want to buy a rarely used almost new car? We might see one in the Classifieds section, any day now.
      Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

Oh, and any of you little bastards want to buy a rarely used almost new car? We might see one in the Classifieds section, any day now.
        Yes Lipster might need a new one, as the kids in his neighborhood like big bonefires....
        Don’t take life too serious, as you won’t get out of it alive anyway.

Comment

HEY!

How is it "my fault"??

Welcome to Mister Russell's Neighborhood?
          Hey Kids, can you say "34F's"?
          I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
          "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
          "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
          "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

How is it "my fault"??

Looking for 10 minutes at a female chest is just as healthy as half an hour physical exercise for men. This has been revealed by a German study which was recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine. The heartbeat is accelerated and the blood circulation activated by the sexual excitement. The risk for stroke and heart attack is reduced to 50%. The average man can increase his lifetime about 4 to 5 years, by looking regularly at big breasts.

Steve, don’t let him blame you for the nightly visits at church, as it is just a friendly turn that you are making.

Comment

It's all Steve's fault. Submitting me to the psychological terror and mental stress caused by psychopathic women with "issues", all in the name of "improving my health".

I shall have to discuss this concept of increasing my longevity with him.

russbo.com

Comment

This all reminds me all too well of the time I came to russia with my ex girlfriend and she dumped me on the second day of the trip ;-). That was two years ago, and (luckily) only for a month. Talk about hell.

Well I'm here in russia again, but this time on my own.

I'm not going on any trips with any girls ever again, at least not unless we are married with children, and have a subscribtion to the columbia record's club. Can't have a comitment stronger than that.

Comment

Submitting me to the psychological terror and mental stress caused by psychopathic women with "issues", all in the name of "improving my health".
                  Oh Steve how could you forget about doc’s sensible nature. Exposing him to such a stress can only end in a trauma for him. A “Bingo Night” would be more appropriated for his mental health.

Comment

Bingo night.

YEA!

russbo.com

Comment

As much as I hate bingo and old people, I got a date with at a bingo night one time.... more than I can say for most of the "churches" I've been to.... maybe I'm just not going to the right places.
                      practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                      X