No one has posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one has posted

Since no one has posted, I'll start something.

What's the deal with these dudes? I think they're crazy. These guys and Muay Thai guys are the nutty.

These fights are so brutal and bloody, I can hardly believe it's legal. . . is it(in the states)?

The whole art just seems totally barbaric to me and totally unrefined. . . maybe I'm a priss though. It seems like both Muay Thai and BJJ are just going to be huge bad asses and have no true art form to it. Isn't the point of the both systems to desensitize your nerves? That's disgusting.

How about the old myth that one Muay Thai Master could kick the asses of 100 Shaolin Monks? NO WAY!

Maybe flipped? Haha, nah, I'm not that cocky, but I would be very confident in a Shaolin monk's skill in a fight with a Muay Thai fighter. They go on their tip toes all the time and their kicks are so awkwardly high, I would think a clean sweep would take them down, but their legs look like tree trunks.

http://www.bjj.org has some pretty hardcore stuff on BJJ.

nothing brutal about bjj

muy thai is for people that are warriors..fighters

there are differences between real muy thai pracs and "martial artists"

even though muy thai pracs are definately martial artists..they are more extreme

muy thai pracs train to fight..its what they do

fighting is brutal, the pracs can be brutal, the art is simple and not as elegant as shaolin kung fu..

but it is definately not something to be brushed aside as if its lowely or barbaric..

is shaolin kung fu a superior art? imho yes, because it is so much more then just fighting..

but..i dunno where you got these crazy ideas about NHB

you sound like a senator though..better watch it you might end up being labeled an ignorant bastard...

o.O

heheheheheh
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

yeah, i feel that sometimes the attitude that's given off by a lot of these hardcore competitions is pretty stupid, but i wouldn't denounce the arts themselves. muay thai has some amazing conditioning going on. and bjj is really not much different than judo...well, actually it comes from judo, it just emphasizes ground work which is usually reserved for more advanced practices in judo. it just so happens the gracies are extremely good at what they do, but i wouldn't call the art itself revolutionary.

paz
      -Jesse Pasleytm
      "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Muay Thai does have some amazing conditioning going on, but as far as being an elaborate martial art, IMO, it's pretty simple. Basically five maneuvers, and then, variations thereof. I enjoy training in it when I'm in Thailand; it's fun, it keeps you in shape, and it's effective. But, remember, the emphasis of the training is on "sport fighting". Muay Thai, in Thailand, is not for "warriors" anymore. It's purely a sport; emphasis is on "getting points" as opposed to incapacitating your opponent. We've just bastardized it, like we seem to do everything else, with our American UFC nonsense.

I've done a little BJJ, and I agree with Paz. It's fun stuff, but it's very similar to the holds and throws in Judo (and Chin Na for that matter). If you really want to take it on that path, as my Seidokan teacher (Eddy Schumacher) showed me years ago, you can take many of the Seidokan maneuvers (and kempo, etc), and "put them on the floor", that is, move them from a vertical orientation to a horizontal one, and some of these "standing" maneuvers end up being very effective "ground fighting" maneuvers. BJJ therefore is not "revolutionary"; this stuff has been done before in other arts, just from a different perspective.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

they dominated in the nhb comps for a number of years. Now it's a little different because it's so mandatory to train it before you compete. Alot of the pure BJJ guys are getting killed in PRIDE because their stand up is weak. But I never really got the anti-grappling propaganda either. I mean what if you slip and fall? I lost the link, but there is a brazilian Ju jitsu school in Beijing. Could be something interesting
          "I'm like Tupac: Who can stop me?"

Comment

Thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
            X