Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly to Zhengzhou or Beijing

Hi,
    Im planning a trip to Shaolin. I heard Zhengzhou is close and has an airport.
    Can anyone whos been there recommend whether to fly to Beijing, or try and fly directly you Zhengzhou ? Or pickup a domestic flight to Zhengzhou from Beijing ?

Cheers

Jay

You can't fly to Zengzhou from international destinations. Either fly to Guangzhou, Shanghai or Beijing, and then fly or train it to Zengzhou.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Cool thanks for that..

Do you know much about the VISA status. So far ive gathered that one can only get a 3 month toursit VISA.
      Im quite interested in leaving my ticket open when i get there, on the chance I really like there and decide to stay longer than 3 months (you never know).
      Do you know of anyway to extend that VISA without leaving the country. I wouldnt want to overstay and risk ruining any chance of returning.

But if theres some sneaky way I could stay longer.. hmmmmm

thanks for your info as always

Comment

Embassies usually grant thirty day visas. You can get longer than that if you demonstrate that you're going to need it, ie, be a student, or something like that. Ninety day visas can be granted upon request. Longer than that, I'm not sure. Best thing to do is ask your local Chinese consulate; it might be different for people in Europe than it is for Americans. Also, once youi're there, you can usually extend your visa at the local police station, though, that option is not guaranteed.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

What the majority of foreigners who visit Shaolin do is get a 3 months visa from their local Chinese embassy. Unless you train at Tagou or EPO, it's very difficult to get a long-term student visa in China. When the 3 month period encroaches, get a letter from your school saying you're a wushu student, and go register at the Dengfeng police station (located in some back alley that is difficult to find). You'll need 2 passport size photos, letter from school, your passport, and a smile. I recommend going with a translator, as that will make things run a lot smoother. Then go to the Zhengzhou PSB, and be real sweet and charming to the woman who hands the one month extensions. She deals with all the laowai around Shaolin, and I've heard can be harsh at times. I have the fortune of having a very friendly and intelligent conversation with her. Don't go in there and be the brash laowai, it won't get you nowhere. Voila, now you have a one-month extension.

So that's 4 months time in Shaolin. Ready for more? Gotta go to Hong Kong. It's gonna cost you time and money, but it seems to be the most popular choice. Go to Hong Kong, go to a big travel agency, and if you pay around $100, I believe, you can get a 6 month visa for mainland China. I've heard they stamp it on the spot without wait. Or you can go to the Chinese embassy, wait in line, and cross your fingers when you come by the next day. The first choice will save yourself from the headache of red tape.

Take care,
          Hanguo Lao Hu

Comment

Thanks for the info and experiences...
            practice wu de

Comment

Working...
            X