No announcement yet.

Shi YanZhang's School in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They all teach "some traditional". The basics are traditional. All schools still teach some basic traditional forms. Emphasis eventually is on competition though. (Wait until you see some of the video I have from this last trip, lol). Decheng teaches the foreigners a lot of traditional forms. You'll find traditional being taught at Hengjun's school also. Yanzhang teaches some traditional, to what extent I really don't know. It's a risk when you go to Dengfeng. You could go to a really good school, with usually really good training, and get some **** coach who doesn't care about you, all leading to a horrible experience.

I guess that's what makes it fun, in a way.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

• i was under the impression that what made it fun was the thai hookers.

Comment

• those are while you're on the WAY to China, no?

Comment

• Thai hookers?

No.

LBFM's and FLW's?

Yes
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

• One more question about the school!!!!

Hi guys,doc,hei hu,all of you,

First congratulations for this website.Then i introduve myself quickly,i'm French and live in UK near London.I wish like many of you to go to China and train.

I have one question after reading about Shi YangZhang's School.Is there a training hall that can be used in case of rain?Can we train inside?Is there any soft ground for the acrobatics? Because some train on hard floor and this is too much for me as i'm a real beginner on acrobatics and i want to learn.

That's it,or else i think this school is good even if this story of woman who was sexually harrassed is a bit sad...But unfortunately i'm not surprised,we all know that there is a big difference between here and...there.As this young woman is safe and wasn't injuried i'm happy for her.

I hope somebody could reply,
            Thanks a lot
            The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

• Last time I was there, there was not a training hall. IN fact, the only schools that had any sort of interior training places, of any significant size, was the Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan. Shi Heng Jun's old domestic Chinese school, which was in a factory, had large interior training areas, but, they've moved. Shi De Cheng was thinking about building one, but, the cost is kind of prohibitive.

Unless the school finds itself in a large old factory, more than likely they won't have interior training of any significant size.

Now, I must correct myself, as some of the newer, larger schools that have just been built in Dengfeng, have some interior spaces for training, but the one I found, was kind of small, and used for sanda (and not gong fu). Kind of hard to put a few thousand kids inside a facility.

russbo.com

Comment

• There is grass, and indoor facilities. You can train wherever you want. If you live near london, you can go talk to Shifu Shi Yanzi, at Shaolin temple UK, (where I used to train). He specializes in Sanda though, and training is extremely tough! You won't get wushu though with him, if that's what you're looking for. you can get excellent training with him if you decide not to go to China, and trust me, I've trained with many different shaolin monks.
                Yan Zhang is his Gong Fu brother, and he can tell you about him and his school also. Not sure how true that story of the girl at YanZhang's school was. I have a hard time believing that, as I lived in the room next top YanZhang and his wife for 7 months. There musty have been some misunderstanding, or communication problem.

Comment

• Ok very instructive, thank you so much.

I'm actually coming from "full contacts sports" that's why i'm totally new to any kind of acrobatics but very curious about it.I'm sure that with the Arts it's possible to go much further than boxing,if you know what i mean.

So i understand that over there there're so many people it's hard to find a place indoor to put everyone.But i'm sure there is a way to find a place,maybe on grass first...Apparently it's possible to train when it rains...That is important for me.

I'm very interested about going to Shaolin UK,even if the prices are quite high i'm sure the quality of teaching is great,even more than it.

But i have a question,you say they only teach sanshou here?No forms?How is a lesson approximately going there?Could you describe a bit?Is it always the shi fu teaching?Damn!It'a already more than one question!

Thanks doc for these informations,i'm sure you know dengfeng like your pocket.
                  Thanks hei hu for your reply as you studyed there for quite long.Would you mind telling a bit more about London?

Gracie mille,cpaciba,Xie Xie,Merci,Thank you!
                  The East? The West?

Comment

• ok i see a little bit further now

Ok very instructive, thank you so much.

I'm actually coming from "full contacts sports" that's why i'm totally new to any kind of acrobatics but very curious about it.I'm sure that with the Arts it's possible to go much further than boxing,if you know what i mean.

So i understand that over there there're so many people it's hard to find a place indoor to put everyone.But i'm sure there is a way to find a place,maybe on grass first...Apparently it's possible to train when it rains...That is important for me.

I'm very interested about going to Shaolin UK,even if the prices are quite high i'm sure the quality of teaching is great,even more than it.

But i have a question,you say they only teach sanshou here?No forms?How is a lesson approximately going there?Could you describe a bit?Is it always the shi fu teaching?Damn!It'a already more than one question!

Thanks doc for these informations,i'm sure you know dengfeng like your pocket.
                    Thanks hei hu for your reply as you studyed there for quite long.Would you mind telling a bit more about London?

Gracie mille,cpaciba,Xie Xie,Merci,Thank you!
                    The East? The West?

Comment

• shaolin temple uk website is shaolintempleuk.org check it out. The training is hard work, you will learn a few forms, but the focus is on san shou/Sanda. It is not expensive, and all teachers are shaolin masters. Shifu Yanzi teaches all the upper level advanced classes (Sparring).

Comment

• Ok great to hear that.Thanks for informations,i think shaolin uk is a good place and the training sounds real intensive.It's surely the best preparation before going to China,i really need to learn the basis of Shaolin technique more than the physicall stuff.

Most of the kung fu schools i've seen have looked like crap for me in Europe,the training is not intense and mostly not efficient,they just teach like robots...That's why i chose boxing which gives you physical and practical knowledge very quickly.But i am still sure of the power of Kung Fu!

Thank man
                        The East? The West?

Comment

• You'll be miles ahead of the game if you learn shaolin, before going to china. You'll learn the chinese names for all stances kicks etc., beofre you go, if you go to shaolin temple uk. I guarantee you if you go see train with Yanzi, you will be in shape for China training.

Good luck.

Comment

• Hi All,

and a hello to Hei Hu in particular. Yan Zhang's coaches and the alumini in England speak of you warmly!

I'm currently out here with Heng Xuan, based at Yan Zhang's whilst we work out how to get him back into England.

I figure I'm gonna get some flack from a few corners for getting romantically mixed up with one of the monks. Those of you who have been out here know how it is: many do get married and have children. Whether it has always been like this I'm not aware, but the intolerance and oppression of the monks in the last century possibly accounts for why it is currently so prevelent amongst the warriors.

And before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I'm trying to score free gongfu tuition, I've no real intention to practise gongfu despite Heng Xuan's every inducement to get me to spar with him (it hurts when you hit / kick them!), but I do find Shaolin quite enthralling and I am very interested in the cultural / spiritual aspects.

So just to recap, I'm currently staying at Yan Zhang's old training base. We are here with a younger sister of Yan Zhang's parents and younger sister and her family. The school has moved to a new training base about half a mile from DengFeng's bus station, literally off a beaten track. As such its very peaceful, well as peaceful as a school full of 200+ kids can be. Its another ex-army camp, and so very well suited as a venue for training martial arts. The rooms are more roomier than at the old base. They are waiting to get their electricity supply upgraded so that airconditioning can be installed, i.e. it probably will never happen.

I was at the dinner a couple of weeks ago, when the coaches were introduced to the new ShiYe (Grandad Shifu) who is shoring up the coaching whilst Yan Zhang is out of town.

Training acrobatics, they use crash mats. As for indoor training facilities and rain... well it doesn't seem to rain here much, very infrequently in the summer for sure. The coaches and the past students I have come to know, only complain about the heat and the cold. They appear to like showering in heavy rain... its such a relief when its been over 40C for over 2 weeks!

A friend of mine just got 1 on 1 tuition for a couple of weeks. Heng Xuan trains with the classes....

I've been coming out to China since 1991, and one way or another have lived quite an international life. I've observed its hard for different cultures to relate to different sexual nuances and boundaries, so I also find the comments made about Yan Zhang's wife interesting. Arranged marriage and life-long monogamy is the norm by and large here. I think any half attractive female (and a few guys too) who went round openly stating that they were into threesomes would get passes made at them.

Also, its the norm for Shifus and coaches to appropriate anything of a students or younger martial brother's if they so wish. I was quite amused when on first meeting Guoyin he walked off with a brand new pack of cards, I brought with me from England. Heng Xuan pointed out I could go into his room and retrieve them and anything else any time I fancied. I now refer to GuoYin as "The Card Thief", he calls me "Chicken" his brain appears to short circuit on KT (my name over here). I've a lot of time for GuoYin.

Also on the subject of children being beaten for stealing. That's how it is here and still is in many parts of the world. If you are a child and you get caught stealing, you get thrashed. If you get caught stealing in most parts of the world as an adult you get incarcerated, and worse still. Both my father and my brother (who is 30) were regularly thrashed at English boarding schools for much less than stealing. Corporal punishment was only outlawed in the UK in the last 10 years or so. Are there any schools over here that do not physcially punish the children?

Heng Xuan says its part of the training to endure physical punishment... he says the worst punishment for the worst misdemeanours is now 20 strokes with a guan (staff). He thinks that the students do not progress as much because there is much less physical punishment metted out then before. He was regularly thrashed, mostly for not training hard enough and fighting. His worst punishment was for maintaining he didn't buy an ice lolly, when a coach said he had. He still maintains that he didn't buy the ice lolly and that the coach was really angry... he got 40 thrashes.

I've been warmly accepted by everyone here. I've not observed an ounce of trouble the whole time I've been here. Its possible that they are putting on a show for me, but actually I'm not sure that they're capable of being false. Deceit doesn't appear to exist at the school, I presume Shaolin doesn't tolerate it.

I will recommend Yan Zhang's school to anyone who is serious about learning Shaolin Wushu and experiencing Shaolin culture, and whilst I'm here am happy to help anyone sign up here and at other schools if preferred.

Chicken

Comment

• Thanx for the personal hi Chicken. Nice to meet you, ha! You've got yourself a good man in Heng Xuan "Wang" as I called him. Please give him my warmest regards, and tell him I miss him very much, while I am here in new York. Also tell him I still regularly train in Sanda here in new York. Not where he thinks though. At a different place, with a professional Sanda team.
                              Please say hi to YanZhang's wife, and Da La "Tommy" for me. You are with good people there, no matter what the person said on this website. My being there with YanZhang, Heng Xuan etc. was the most special time of my life! Unfortunately i am to busy now, and probably will never get an experience like that again.

Best Wishes, Hei Hu (Nur)

Comment

• I think it's great that you are sharing with everyone and are willing to help and translate for people being that they are in the same area...but this is...

Deceit doesn't appear to exist at the school, I presume Shaolin doesn't tolerate it.

tricky tricky.............
                                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                                X