No announcement yet.

Shi YanZhang's School in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The grounds are nice, the facilities are typical (and better than typical), the work out areas are not as clean and extensive as others, but they most definitely are more than acceptable, and the training appeared to be the usual stuff. I was impressed with it. That was a westerner that was in there; that was the "foreigner area". Not bad. I'd recommend it.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Im planning on heading over to Yan Zhangs school at the start of July 04. (all going to plan that is...)

Was wondering if anyone else gonna be in Dengfeng around the same time? Or interested in going to Yan Zhangs school ?

Cheers.

Comment

I'm also goinig to go there soon

Comment

Is any one of you people going to be there this Winter/Spring?

Comment

Doc, what kinda vaccinations am I gonna need for China?

And is yellow fever one of them? And if i catch it, will it make me fall in love with every chinese girl i see?
            hehe *joke*

Comment

I started a new thread re innoculations in the Announcements and Technical Support section.

And I assure you, you won't be falling in love too much in Dengfeng. Get it now while you can....
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG), except travelers to Japan.
                Hepatitis B, if you might be exposed to blood (for example, health-care workers), have sexual contact with the local population, stay longer than 6 months, or be exposed through medical treatment.
                Japanese encephalitis, only if you plan to visit rural areas for 4 weeks or more, except under special circumstances, such as a known outbreak of Japanese encephalitis.
                Rabies, if you might be exposed to wild or domestic animals through your work or recreation.
                Typhoid, particularly if you are visiting developing countries in this region.
                As needed, booster doses for tetanus-diphtheria and measles. Hepatitis B vaccine is now recommended for all infants and for children ages 11–12 years who did not receive the series as infants
                Few quick questions.

Is the Shaolin area considered "Rural"? In reference to getting Japanese Encephalitis?

Rabies? Am I likely to be bitten by any crazy animals?

Should I get all of the above regardless?

Is there any big ass spiders in shaolin ? or snakes? ( yeah I come from a country that has no poisonous ****. so give me a break )

Comment

There are big ass scorpions. They hide under rocks. If you want to catch them, do as the locals do.

Use chopsticks.

I wouldn't worry about rabies. Getting rabies vaccination is not recommended unless you get bitten by a rabid animal. You won't find many wild animals in Dengfeng, outside of the massage parlors.

I personally recommend the Hepatitis A vaccinations, and B, if you can get it. They're safe, and they're effective. Hepatitis A is not prevalent there, but, why risk it.

Japanese encephalitis is not an issue, same for typhoid.

Yellow fever and malaria used to be an issue. Best thing is to bring mosquito repellent, and use long clothing in the mosquito months, (spring). I personally have not found them to be an issue, but, I haven't been there in late spring, so I'm not sure. No need to take preventative medicine for these diseases though, they are not that prevalent in Dengfeng.

HIV is becoming an issue in China. Like the SARS outbreak that I wrote about, back when I was in Beijing surrounded by it, they have a tendency to "talk down" what's affecting them. HIV is not that prevalent, but, be careful.

russbo.com

Comment

There are big ass scorpions. They hide under rocks. If you want to catch them, do as the locals do.

mortal scorpion?

You won't find many wild animals in Dengfeng, outside of the massage parlors.

what sort of wild animals can we find?
                    martial way is mine, death one is yours
                    call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

Scary ones.

The very scariest and wildest of all....

russbo.com

Comment

ok but what are their name? yong xin? lol
                        call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

No.

Women.

russbo.com

Comment

saying yong xin was sort of an humorisic things lol
                            no seriously, are there really wild animal? (not afraid, just curious)

Comment

about the training

To those of you who have trained in this school - how was the training?
                              Like the hard type, where the teachers runs behind you with a whip?
                              Much acrobatic training? etc...

I'm planning to go around feb/mar 2005 to somewhere in the Shaolin - Zhengzhou area,
                              and train there for 4-5 months, but I have not yet decieded which school to train at, although I've been strongly recommended a school in Zhengzhou.

Anyway..
                              I cannot do anything but join with the many people being forever thankfull for the information on this site.

Blessings from Norway.

Comment

No one's running around with whips, unless it's a form you want to learn. look at my initial post about this school.
                                Great master, great teachers, and just very pleasant people to be around. You want acrobatics? You got it. You want traditional you got it. You want Tai Ji, Chi Gong, Chi Na? Whatever you want. Just let them know what you're interested.
                                I wish I could have stayed longer than 7 months, but I had commitments to deal with. I highly reccommend it!

Comment

Working...
                                X