Shi YanZhang's School in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hei Hu,
    I tried the number 0086-371-285- 2077 and was not fortunate enough to get through. Maybe I have the wrong number? I am very interested in this school. Is there another way or another phone number to call? I appreciate all your help.
    Blessings,
    Missa

Comment

That phone number is also used for a fax, so maybe someone was using the fax. You have to keep in mind the time difference, and the office closes at 8:00 pm Dengfeng time.

alternate phone numbers:

0086-371-286-0229
      0086-371-285-2285

School email address: shaolinyingshi@sina.com

Shi YanZhang email (it's OK to email him direct): yegege@sina.com

Tell them Nur Khan told you to call or email so they accept the call if they don't understand you. They'll probably run around the school to try and find someone who speaks english. It also may take a little while for them to translate the email, so give it a little time. I spoke to a friend and he said the translater may not be there at the moment. If you have more problems, I can call my friend there and find out the best way to speak to them. Again, remember the time difference.

let me know if you have any problems.

ps. the translater's name is "Lee lauw Sha"" that means teacher Lee in Mandarin, and I have spelled it the way it sounds. That way if someone Chinese answers the phone, they will automatically try to find someone who speaks english for you
      Last edited by Hei Hu; 08-15-2003, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Do you mind if i drop your name also when it comes time for me to go there next year?

Comment

That was quick!! No problem!!

Comment

Do you want me to set anything up for you? I'm here in Dengfeng.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

If you all already in Dengfeng (sp) then would you be able to let the folks know I am wanting to be there by the end of October or November. I need to know how much it will cost for a 3-6 month visit to start with. And then hopefully, if all goes well, I will extend my stay. Also need to know if I can get a student visa or if I have to get a visitors visa? I am a vegetarian, so eating rice, vegetable and bread are fine with me. I also am comfotable in cold weather. Living in Alaska has taught me to love of the cold winters. I am very happy to have found this web site and message board. Looking forward to your reply and to going to China. After 30 years of dreaming about doing this I now feel like a little kid in a candy store.
              Blessings
              Missa

Comment

I've written about winters in Shaolin before, somewhere on the site. Remember, many, if not all, of these schools close for January and February. The presence of foreign students during these times "put these people out", as the coaches cannot go home to their families, as they might wish to. You should re-evaluate your plans, and come in March. Besides, training outdoors during this time is arduous at best, regardless of how much you like the cold weather. They don't particularly care for it either.

There's more to this discussion in the Shaolin FAQ, or in the Archive, or in this forum. Winters are generally not the best time to come for many reasons.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

if you have the opportunity, train in warm/hot weather- you'll gain much more in the heat as far as your stretching goes than in the cold, where you'll spend alot of time just warming up your muscles and keeping them that way.
                  "Arhat, I am your father..."
                  -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I can truly see why people would not want to train in the winter and can appreciate folks wanting to go home for those months. Part of my reason for wanting to be there in October is that the lease is up on this house at the end of September. I do not mind going for 2-3 months to begin with. Then I can either come back to the states for the month of Jan-Feb. or can find lodging in China and become more familiar with the culture and the languageand have time to get some writing in.
                    I emailed one of the email addresses Hei Hu suggested and I got a response right away. However, it was in chinese and my computer, for whatever reason, is not downloading the proper tools to translate it. I am seeing if one of my friends can translate it for me on thier computer.
                    Blessings
                    Missa

Comment

I'll head over to Yanzhang's school tomorrow and set this up for you. October through December, potentially into Jan-Feb if someone will be there to teach you. Tomorrow or the day after. I was going to get some video of the place and put it on the site so that people can see what it's all about anyway.

October is a nice time to come, warm during the day, cold at night. November and December start to get a little rough, but it's doable. January and February is just bad. I strongly suggest you go to Thailand and enjoy the heat and the sun, come back to Shaolin in March. Or, take that time to travel some in China; I strongly suggest Yunnan province, where you can easily spend two to three weeks exploring all the interesting areas. There's lots to see in China, just not much to see in Shaolin in the winter.

russbo.com

Comment

Doc,
                        If you were able to help set this up for me I would be greatful, and since you are right there, and seems easy enough for you to do, you have my go-ahead. I can still continue trying to call if I need to speak directly to you or someone in the school. You and Hei Hu are being wonderful to help me with this. I can't thank you enough. I still need to know what type of visa to get. If I am going to be there from oct-dec. a visitors visa might do but then again a student visa would work well too. Please let me know which one. Hei Hu wrote with two alternative numbers to call and two different email addresses. I tried one of the email addresses and it came back to me as a failure. I haven't tried the other eamil address nor have I tried the other phone numbers yet. I figure it was best to wait until the weekend was over. So, hopefully I will hear from you today and will go from there as to what to do next.
                        Many blessings,
                        Missa

Comment

Although I'm from NYC, I don't know the visa situation for the states, as I am currently living in London. Here in London, it's very easy to get a 3 month visa, and difficult to get a student visa. I got a 3 month visa here, and then went to Hong Kong and got a 6 month student visa overnight, no problem. It was 450 yuen, which is probably about $50 bucks. It's very easy to get over there.
                          Being from the states, Doc can probably let you know what the best way for you to handle this situation would be. I believe YanZhang (and a lot of his instructors) leave on the 19th (tomorrow) to come to London for their Millenium Dome show this weekend. FYI Doc, in case you are planning on catching up with them at YanZhang's school to film, the key players will be here in London. Maybe you already have?

Comment

YanZhang and many of the gang have left already for the show in London. I went to the school for a visit today.

Interesting place. Old military base. Quite a good layout. The domestic Chinese are packed into small rooms, the foreigners get their own room on the other side of the "street" within the complex. Not bad. They have a computer room (in the old radio room), which is connected to the internet, so internet access is within the school. There is no western toilet, so practice that mabu. Also learn to like cold showers. Well, at least they have showers.

I spoke with them about your coming. They are expecting you sometime in October. The usual price is 1100 Yuan (8 Yuan to the US dollar) per month which includes housing and training, no food. Food costs an extra 200 Yuan per month. They will charge you, for a six month stay, 5000 Yuan, includes housing and training, no food. Just show up, it's all arranged. You can stay through the dark period, January and February, as not all the coaches go home for the holidays.

As for visas, you have to check your local Chinese consulate. I usually get a 30 or 60 day visa; I've heard that you can extend at the local police station. But, I've also heard that sometimes that doesn't work too well. If you've got friends in the Dengfeng police station, they might be able to do it, otherwise, forget about it. The Hong Kong method to get a longer stay is one option, the other, is just to explain to your local Chinese consulate how long you're going and why. These things are always best taken care of before you leave.

Got video of the place so others can see what it's like. I'll get that up on the site once I get home and get it processed.

russbo.com

Comment

Im keen as hell to check out that video!
                              Cant wait to hit that school in April! mmmmmm yeah!!

Comment

Some interesting tidbits about YanZhang's school:

As it is predominantly a domestic Chinese student school, expect an emphasis on more contemporary wushu stuff, though, there is some teaching of traditional forms. Again, remember the trend. DeCheng and DeYang seem to be emphasizing more traditional stuff to their students in their schools, this is a bit different than most. (I'll visit DeYang and his school tomorrow).

Just about all training is provided by coaches. Which, in my mind, also means more contemporary wushu. But YanZhang is available at times from what I hear. But, with over three hundred domestic students, I wouldn't expect much personalized instruction from him.

The price for training is the cheapest I've seen in my travels here. Shi Heng Jun's 400 Yuan per month is cheaper, but I don't think it's a good option at this time.

On the sign outside, there is a devotion to Shi Yongxin, something about Yongxin being responsible for Shaolin Buddhism and gong fu now. Also, Shi YanZhang describes himself, on the main sign, as being a disciple of Yongxin.

More and more Yongxin disciples seem to be appearing... (Even Yanming now, from what I've heard?)

Truly very interesting.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X