Did you choose the right BJJ academy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, stop bitching Doc...

You've already taken all the good ones; jaded cynical mother****er, self absorbed idiot, real live asshole, fat old baldie, to name but a few...

You wanna leave something for someone else?

Comment

Yes, I realize that I have all the good ones, but, "pretentious and evil" just sounds so good. I like it.

It's so, so fitting...

Sniff.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

real live asshole has always cracked me up, as opposed to a real dead asshole which is not so funny. I guess it's the qualifier.
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

oh doc..

oh doc..didnt you know i would surpass you?

THE CIRCLE IS NOW COMPLETE!! WHEN I MET YOU I WAS BUT THE LEARNER NOW I AM THE MASTER

heheheheheehe
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Ok so I just got back from the pub and started reading this thread from the begining. I skipped a few post towards the middle and end, but the point is i'm going to try something radical here. I'm a bit inebriated so I'm going to try to actually reply to the original post. Wish me luck.

So guy who started thread, i hope you're reading. Well frankly I know very little about BJJ but I know about martial arts, i know alot about judo and i know about what its like being in an absurdly competitive club. I started judo at the age of 9 and by the time i was 12 we were going to compete in a different tournament 3 out of every 5 weekends of the year with regular annual trips to the AMCAN's (American Canadian Games) Liberty Invitational (a national multiple sport invitational in philly) and USJA/USJF nationals whenever they were less than a 20 hour drive from Connecticut.

So heres my advice about BJJ schools. You do not owe it to a poor teacher to keep attending his classes. If you are practicing martial arts properly your body should be getting stronger and not more and more injured. If the students you train with are trying to hurt you then you're in the wrong place. Once you find a truly good teacher be prepared to enter his/her dojo carrying nothing. This means you leave ego, knowledge, and everything you've ever learned at the door and become open to learn from this sensei/sifu. When you leave the dojo, incorporate it all. If you are angered by words you have a long way to go in martial arts. Competition is not the greatest thing in the world. You destroy your body for nothing. Even if you are a champion you destroy yourself for nothing. For me there was no art in competition. I had to stop competing to understand shen. I had to stop competing to become happy with life and reality as it is, a perfect manifestion of the Way.

But as far as I know, the only way to learn that is to compete. So do whatever you will, i offer only suggestions and ask only for open ears and eyes. Peace to you all.
            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

drunken typos

Dah, thats Liberty Bell Invitational, not liberty invitational.

Comment

Dao, that's pretty good for being inebriated. I never got into this competition shit either. Never thought it really proved anything.

Won't anybody call me "evil and pretentious"? Not just once...?
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

I'm sorry...

...I will only call you 'once,' and from now on. Not much of a thing to say but I know the repetition will get you eventually.
                  "Arhat, I am your father..."
                  -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

A reduntant once and much more...

I was trying to come up with something for doc.. however I think most of them have been covered..

As far as BJJ schools are concerned.. You picked the right one if it helps you towards your goal...
                    practice wu de

Comment

i disagree!

"Competition is not the greatest thing in the world. You destroy your body for nothing. Even if you are a champion you destroy yourself for nothing. For me there was no art in competition. I had to stop competing to understand shen. I had to stop competing to become happy with life and reality as it is, a perfect manifestion of the Way."

i disagree with..all of this

for one thing i disagree with your understanding of "the way" there is no way..there is no tao, when you see the buddha..kill the buddha

theres no such thing as good or bad or harm or health they are all manifestations of duality, they are a form of condition

to call one thing bad..or wrong..or to label something as a waste of time or "nothing" as you call it, is just another form of conditioning you mind to accept things your way, not "the way" as you call it..but yours

there is no art in competition? is that because you say so?

even still..no art, who cares arts art..is art the highest achievement known to man..is art the center of the universe..of all mans thoughts..is art what we aspire to achieve in all our daily goals..

i dont think you have a sound understanding of what your preaching, and it is detrimental to your spiritual and mental health

the world is black and white, we as martial artists..and some of us *cough* doc *cough* as shaolin disciples aspire to achieve a better understanding of what "the way" is, and how to walk it

i have a hard time discussing these subjects because im just a lowly infidel whos still subject to emotions so..please excuse my rants

what remains is my oppinions which as far as i can tell are right on..of course i could always be wrong...

Comment

kill the buddha

Yeah, when you see buddha kill him... he's a few thousand years old, he needs to go...
                        practice wu de

Comment

A feeble attempt to clarify myself.

Congratulations Maestro, you're learning. Frankly I hope we're all learning, the day I stop learning I hope someone punches me in the face until I start again.

You disagree with me, that's cool. But i'd like to know whether you're disagreement lies in a misunderstanding of what i was trying to say or a difference of opinion. If it is the first I'd like to help you understand what I'm saying, but it doesn't matter if i can't. The message of a speaker is not what he/she was trying to convey to the listener, but what the listener interpreted as the message.

As for dualities. No such thing as dualities. To see things as a manifestation of a duality (though such things may well be) is to recognize the existance of a non-existant duality, to do that is to lie to oneself. You say there is no right and wrong and then you say the world is black and white.

Frankly I'm happy you are where you are. I'm in a similar position still trying to free myself from emotions. I've had some minor success but we both have a long long way to go.

As for the "no art" thing. I wrote, "For me, there was no art in competition." This is as honest as i could wright that sentence, I can't say what anyone else drew from competition experience. I never said that
                          "there is no art in competion" and furthermore i never said anything about art being some supreme goal of man, I simply said I found no art in what was allegedly martial arts competition.

As for the Way, you're entirely correct. I live by my Way, not the Way of Heaven. However my Way is to try to live by the Way of Heaven. I've succeeded in parts and failed in parts. I'm learning and growing and changing. That in my opinion, is what matters.

There is no right and wrong, there is no black and white, there is no highest and lowest, the center and the periphery are one and the same and nothing.

And by all means, if something I say seems to be a symptom of a beleif which you think is detrimental to me, help me free myself from that beleif, dont just say you disagree with it. Help me out if you think i'm in the dark.

I think thats enough for the moment. Rant complete.

May peace be within you brothers and sisters.

Comment

yahah

misunderstanding..of a sort hahahaha

anyway..i understand duality is an illusion..i was just using the word to belittle your post because it came off as duality gone mad, i got annoyed at all the comp bashing(even though im not into ma comps! lol) and such..

anyway..the only thing i have a problem with when it comes to religion and such is when people go crazy...

they start talkin all weird..actin wierd..gettin crazy ideas

my goal is to become like buddha..hahahaha...the evil pisser buddha!! ahhaha

anyway..its just wierd..people talk about sitting under trees..peace to brothers and sisters and such its just wierd..even describing someone as a brother or sister is a form of duality and thus its detrimental

all i wanna make sure is im not deceiving myself, i want to remain genuine throughout the whole meditation or whatever experience...not static..i know change is constant, but its just important i dont loose sight of my goals and what they stand for

and its annoying when people talk like they are on the same path, but turn around and do shit that is totally unreal, and then they go on to say they arent in the wrong etc

to me deceiving yourself like that is one of the worst things you can do..i know i insult people or im sarcastic or whatever from time to time..but still atleast i know what im doing and im man enough to admit..

maybe i should steer clear of the baloon headed martial artists for awhile..

whatever..anyway dao, was a misunderstanding not an attack at you obviously..more so an attack at your train of thought..which is obvious to you and everyone now...is something that pisses me off royale

probably because i fear becoming them..either way

rant over!!

ahahaha

Comment

A question to daodejin and maestro (and anybody else)

What is wrong with being "victims" to your feelings (notice the the ""). Emotions is what makes humans different from animals (some might say it makes us worst than anmials, but I don't beleive so, we are what we are and nothing or no one can be essentialy bad or evil). Life without emotions is like...death. Aren't you practicing MA for the love of it? Isn't the lack of emotions just an other emotion?

Like the neutral jedi dude said in "Knights of The Old Republic" : Passion is the danger a jedi must face, not emotions.

I dunno, my opinion might change as I learn more about buddhism, but I have never understood why enlightment must come without the beauty of emotions. For even unhappy emotions are usefull and necessairy in one's life.

Comment

listen to this song by jane's addiction. it's called "of course". here's the lyrics:

of course this land is dangerous
                                all of the animals
                                are capably murderous

when i was a boy
                                my big brother held on to my hand
                                and he made me slap my own face
                                i looked up to him then, and still do
                                he was trying to teach me something

and now i know what it was
                                now i know what he meant
                                now i know how it is

one must eat the other
                                who runs free before him, shove him right into his mouth
                                while fantasizing
                                the beauty of his movements
                                a sensation not unlike

slapping yourself in the face
                                slapping yourself in the face
                                like slapping yourself in the face...

god i love that band.

Comment

Working...
                                X