Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan

coffeebite is offline Registered Member: no custom title Registered Member
    Hi
    Is the perennial learner fee of US$7900 an annual, all inclusive fee?
    Who is considered a perennial learner?

Thanks.

That's what you call "poor English", but it's what they sent me. A better term would be "per year". That price, as of a year and a half ago, includes one year of training, including food and housing.

Few things to remember here:
    • It's an old price; I don't have a current one
    • I'm not sure he even has his school in China anymore; he travels a lot now
    • You don't want to spend a year there; winters are not fun, and training usually does not occur in Jan Feb March, for holidays.
    • Weather after November is cold, and not conducive to outdoor training
    • Shi De Cheng is not there all year (if he even has his school there at all now). He's usually only there in the summers, as history tells me.

I haven't spoken with him in a while, last time he visited with me was when my son was born, and things were not going well at the school at that time. Lots of politics in the Shaolin arena which were hurting these independent monks.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Ah .. thanks very much, doc. The shortlist for potential shaolin schools in China keeps getting smaller and smaller.

I wouldn't discount this school, at least not yet. Decheng has been very successful teaching foreigners for one reason: he's very good at it. Much better than most of the others that I've trained with, and there are hundreds, if not thousands, all over the world, who will back up my claim. I would consider looking into it (I can for you, but I'm not sure when I'll get a response), the school is still there because I had a friend call it, but Decheng is usually only there during the late spring through early fall months. You might want to reconsider the amount of time that you're willing to spend in one place. I have always recommended that people NEVER sign up for one year. Do a few weeks at first, or a month. Never make a long term commitment, especially with a mainland Chinese. Don't expect to see a lot of honor when it comes to money with these people. Decheng however, is an exception, and I can stay that because we've been close friends since 1995, and I know him well.

Remember something, and this happens to be important with everyday life too. When doing business with people, whether it be business that entails goods or services, or, a relationship that entails sex and love (it's all business, LOL), you are basically dealing with contractual relationships. Contracts are the key to any sort of transaction. And there are basically two things that you really need to understand about contracts:

• You need to know how to get into them:
      • That is, what you will spend
      • What you get in return
      • What time period is involved
    • But most important, you need to know how to get out of them.

Herein lies the problem when dealing with most, if not all, mainland Chinese, and their schools. You will have no trouble getting into a contractual relationship with them, you will have a world of bullshit to deal with if you need to get out of one. To put it another way, sign up for a year, and a month later, after they make you completely fucking miserable through nonsense, mistreatment, or downright lies, you'll never get your money back.

So, when looking for a school, or a girlfriend for that matter (this applies to just about everything), keep your options open, and ALWAYS, keep a "way out". Always keep in mind that you might, for whatever reason, have to get out of this contractual relationship, and do so in a way that avoids the most pain. Forget about lawsuits in China (or anywhere for that matter, it's the fucking attorneys that win, not you), as in China, you just won't stand a chance of winning anything in court, nor would you want to bother.

Again, monthly is better than yearly. Keep your potential losses at a minimum. You might discover a better school somewhere else, you might get sick, you might get disgusted with being there, you might have to return home to a sick family member. Keep the options open. You can spend the summer with Decheng and have a wonderful time; you could spend the miserable Chinese winter in beautiful Thailand learning Muay Thai, or at a different Chinese school in southern China, where the weather would be better and more consistent with good training conditions.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Hey doc. Thanks very much for this reply. What you say makes a lot of sense. I won't make any long term commitments to a school or myself. If you don't mind, could you tell me a bit more about the school - i.e. the location - is it in the city, or is it secluded from the city?

Decheng's school is in Dengfeng, a small sized chinese city located about ten kilometers from the Shaolin Temple disneyland complex. There are no schools within the complex, other than the ones that Yongxin has created for himself. All the other schools moved outside the complex to nearby Dengfeng. Decheng's school is on the outskirts of the city, north of it, right across the street from Taishishan, (Mt Taishi), so it's close to the "wilderness". It has indoor training areas, western toilets, and heat, which is useful from October through March. I think he even has showers with hot water. So, it's not too barren, not like the days when I used to go. You'll find it comfortable, yet, out of the way from the main part of Dengfeng proper, yet close enough to restaurants and stuff, things that make life a little easier over there.

russbo.com

I've updated Shi De Cheng's school link in the "Teaching Affiliates" section.

For those of you too lazy to cruise over there, here's his new school website: http://www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.net/

Attached are current prices for this year.
    Attached Files Attached Files

russbo.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678