Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have another guy who is going in March from Australia. You'll run into him, if he ever gets his visa.

Decheng had planned on coming to Thailand to visit me soon, but, my life has just turned to hell, and this is probably not a good time. I'll have to catch up with him at another time.

Have a great time.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

That would be me! now with visa in hand.

Hi James, I'm arriving in China on the 19th of March and should be at DeCheng's either the same day or the next. Nice to know there'll be another foreigner to train with. I'll give you a pm.

Comment

School's pretty legit, the food is really good actually, although they don't really have heat. It was like 45 degrees last night in my room, I could see my breath lol. They gave me one of those heat fans but it doesn't really do anything. I had a one on one with Shi de Cheng and went through some basic moves for 2 hours, it was really good.

Comment

Updated price list:

Songshan Shaolin Wushu release Tak-sing
          Foreign students fee schedule

School
          (Accommodation, learning) Unit: USD
          One day 1 --- 10 days 11 --- 30 days 30 --- 60 days
          1-5 people 57 U.S. dollars 50 U.S. dollars 43 U.S. dollars
          6-10 people 50 U.S. dollars 43 U.S. dollars 36U.S. dollars

Hotels (accommodation, learning) Unit: USD
          Person days 1 ---- 10 days 11 ---- 30 days 30 --- 60 days
          1 --- 5 86 U.S. dollars 79 U.S. dollars 72 U.S. dollars
          6 --- 10 79 U.S. dollars 72 U.S. dollars 65 U.S. dollars
          11 or more 72 U.S. dollars 65 U.S. dollars 57 U.S. dollars

Note: perennial learner, school fees, 7900 U.S. dollars;
          (B) Zhengzhou pick their own expense;
          (C) Travel expenses from their own;
          (D) 20 dollars an hour to learn Chinese.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

prices seem ok, but 20USD an hour to learn Chinese? that's insane!
            136.53RMB would, in beijing, get you a top rate Chinese teacher knocking at you front door and staying for two hours. maybe even a happy ending...

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
            Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

My experience with "learning Chinese" has always been abysmal in Shaolin. I avoid it. You're better off with a Lonely Planet book and just playing with it. I have not been impressed with any language teachers there so far.

russbo.com

Comment

Will Shi De Cheng be there in March 2010?

Any possibilty to study Sanshou there, if I'd only stay for one month?

Comment

Yes, you can get some sanda training along with the traditional gong fu. But Decheng usually goes to Europe in March / April time; I'm not exactly sure when he's leaving. He was supposed to come and spend Christmas with me, but he did not get his visa on time (major delays with visas now, thanks to the Almighty One).

russbo.com

Comment

Has Shi Decheng already been to Europe this year? If yes, when will he come again? If no, when will he come to which places in Europe?

Amituofo

Comment

He's already been there. He usually goes in October/November, and then again March/April/May time periods. I usually see him over the winter period, and he's usually in China at his domestic Chinese school in the summer. The European trip usually encompasses parts of Italy, Switzerland, France, sometimes Austria. It changes from year to year.

russbo.com

Comment

Hi
                        Is the perennial learner fee of US$7900 an annual, all inclusive fee?
                        Who is considered a perennial learner?

Thanks.

Comment

That's what you call "poor English", but it's what they sent me. A better term would be "per year". That price, as of a year and a half ago, includes one year of training, including food and housing.

Few things to remember here:
                          • It's an old price; I don't have a current one
                          • I'm not sure he even has his school in China anymore; he travels a lot now
                          • You don't want to spend a year there; winters are not fun, and training usually does not occur in Jan Feb March, for holidays.
                          • Weather after November is cold, and not conducive to outdoor training
                          • Shi De Cheng is not there all year (if he even has his school there at all now). He's usually only there in the summers, as history tells me.

I haven't spoken with him in a while, last time he visited with me was when my son was born, and things were not going well at the school at that time. Lots of politics in the Shaolin arena which were hurting these independent monks.

russbo.com

Comment

Ah .. thanks very much, doc. The shortlist for potential shaolin schools in China keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Comment

I wouldn't discount this school, at least not yet. Decheng has been very successful teaching foreigners for one reason: he's very good at it. Much better than most of the others that I've trained with, and there are hundreds, if not thousands, all over the world, who will back up my claim. I would consider looking into it (I can for you, but I'm not sure when I'll get a response), the school is still there because I had a friend call it, but Decheng is usually only there during the late spring through early fall months. You might want to reconsider the amount of time that you're willing to spend in one place. I have always recommended that people NEVER sign up for one year. Do a few weeks at first, or a month. Never make a long term commitment, especially with a mainland Chinese. Don't expect to see a lot of honor when it comes to money with these people. Decheng however, is an exception, and I can stay that because we've been close friends since 1995, and I know him well.

Remember something, and this happens to be important with everyday life too. When doing business with people, whether it be business that entails goods or services, or, a relationship that entails sex and love (it's all business, LOL), you are basically dealing with contractual relationships. Contracts are the key to any sort of transaction. And there are basically two things that you really need to understand about contracts:
                              • You need to know how to get into them:
                                • That is, what you will spend
                                • What you get in return
                                • What time period is involved
                              • But most important, you need to know how to get out of them.

Herein lies the problem when dealing with most, if not all, mainland Chinese, and their schools. You will have no trouble getting into a contractual relationship with them, you will have a world of bullshit to deal with if you need to get out of one. To put it another way, sign up for a year, and a month later, after they make you completely fucking miserable through nonsense, mistreatment, or downright lies, you'll never get your money back.

So, when looking for a school, or a girlfriend for that matter (this applies to just about everything), keep your options open, and ALWAYS, keep a "way out". Always keep in mind that you might, for whatever reason, have to get out of this contractual relationship, and do so in a way that avoids the most pain. Forget about lawsuits in China (or anywhere for that matter, it's the fucking attorneys that win, not you), as in China, you just won't stand a chance of winning anything in court, nor would you want to bother.

Again, monthly is better than yearly. Keep your potential losses at a minimum. You might discover a better school somewhere else, you might get sick, you might get disgusted with being there, you might have to return home to a sick family member. Keep the options open. You can spend the summer with Decheng and have a wonderful time; you could spend the miserable Chinese winter in beautiful Thailand learning Muay Thai, or at a different Chinese school in southern China, where the weather would be better and more consistent with good training conditions.

russbo.com

Comment

Hey doc. Thanks very much for this reply. What you say makes a lot of sense. I won't make any long term commitments to a school or myself. If you don't mind, could you tell me a bit more about the school - i.e. the location - is it in the city, or is it secluded from the city?

Comment

Working...
                                X