Topic Thirteen: Exclusive rights to teach Shaolin Gong Fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topic Thirteen: Exclusive rights to teach Shaolin Gong Fu

Topic Thirteen arrived completely unexpectedly by email, from a close friend of mine. It raises an interesting topic, one which is horribly thought provoking, with, interesting and, in my opinion, possibly dangerous connotations. The email is as follows (the initial sender, and the sender to me, shall remain anonymous, as is usual and customary on this web site):

Updates: USSD's lawyers and our lawyer are fighting over which court to use...
    What ever happen to the concept of 'a man's word was his bond'?

USSD are making the claims that they are the only ones authorized to teach the Shaolin System in North America. This seems odd since there are at least 3 monks already teaching in the States and a number of related Masters in Canada. What do you know about this claim of USSD's? I understand they have paid the Shaolin Temple moneys for photos etc., but what "rights" do they really have?
    Once again it seems like a lot of 'smoke and mirrors'.
    I'm excited about having the Monks come over. Government bureaucracy is amazing. Keep me informed please.
    xxxx

Interesting. Two important points here. For one, the mention of "which court to use" suggests to me that the decision is based upon going through either state or federal court. A decision in federal court would have jurisdiction over the entire US, which is probably what they might want to do. A decision in state court, would only have jurisdiction in that state; they would have to entertain a lawsuit in every state to "protect" their claim, that is, if they win.

Second, who exactly do they plan to sue to prove their point?

Very interesting. And very important. This topic will be with us for a long time. Do I sense lawsuits in the future?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

very interesting. do i sense myself throwing pies in damasco's face when i get back to america?

and i wonder....can they sue me in japan for threatening to throw pies in his face?
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

My only comment on the USSD mess

The ones more involved in this know that there is a big hoopla going on here. But lets look at something different here for a moment.

Doc, you surprise me that you have not brought this one up before.
      If you have an issue with the image (it's the combination of the two into one, because I did not want make it too complicated), you can remove it. I don't want you to get sued. It can be seen under http://www.ussdkarate.com/home.htm. Go under the news section to see the ambassador image.

The ambassador certificate. First of all it is in English and not even writtent correctly (honorable Ambassador is bunched up together), and is corrected. I do have some certificates from the Shaolin temple myself. I do not boast with them or anything, but the main thing is that they are in Chinese.

The study certificate, which misses the study time.

The Shaolin temple would omit something like this? Makes me wonder.

I do not make any claims to their authenticity or lack thereof. You will be the judge.

Uwe
      Attached Files

Comment

There is a huge difference between ambassador and grand master...
        practice wu de

Comment

Hey Doc.

Hey Doc,
          While you are still in Beijing, Can you go down to the Gift Shop at the Hotel and get one of those Certificates for me too?
          I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
          "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
          "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
          "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Re: Hey Doc.

Originally posted by Steve
            Hey Doc,
            While you are still in Beijing, Can you go down to the Gift Shop at the Hotel and get one of those Certificates for me too?
            Steve,

let Doc enjoy the pleasures. Just go to the next Office supply shop get an Asian paper and have some Chinese lady copy the characters. Even better if you have a chinatown in your area.

PS: Make sure to put a good looking signature and a fancy stamp on this to make it look good and don't do any typos, as in the example shown.

Uwe

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
              There is a huge difference between ambassador and grand master...
              Yes, a cultural ambassador and a Grandmaster is quite a difference. Very politely phrased.

Uwe

Comment

The ambassador stuff (and the other comments) are old news; and besides, it did not grant any of these people any sort of legal rights to anything. But I felt there was no need to "go there", as in my opinion, it was not a worthwhile issue to discuss. Actually being in the process of filing lawsuits concerning this alleged "right" is totally another beast. A far more important and relevant one, which is why I brought it up.

The certificate is interesting. "Head abbot"? Haven't heard that one before. Didn't think there was more than one. The stamp used is important, one needs to look at that very carefully. The temple stamp used on my book, in the Fugue / Vows section of the site, is official. The stamp on this certificate does look similar, but I haven't had the time to compare the two carefully. Also Uwe, what's written in Chinese is significant, and could be telling.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

http://www.ussdkarate.com/shaolin0.jpg

I think he gave the abbot a fruit basket to get that certificate.

Comment

I'd absolutely LOVE

to see Demasco try and sue Yan Ming or some of the other monks teaching here.

What a crock of shit that certificate is.
                    "Arhat, I am your father..."
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

My Certificate

I got this tonight from Bunny. Does this mean I own the Rights to teach Late Night Entertainment Arts in Las Vegas?
                      Attached Files
                      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

you better believe it Steve! now get out there and start sueing the pants off of people!!!

i mentioned to doctm during DOC-TOUR 2003tm that generally jerks like demasco(r) and that other professor guy he covorts around with usually shouldn't demand our attention. there will always be fake, fruads, and all-around pussies in martial arts, and they always do a better job at degrading their image than i can ever hope to. but now, knowing that if years from now that if i'm good enough to open my own gongfu school, i might have these jerks peeking in on me, i think we need to call these guys out. boys, i'm going to my closet, it's time to break out the groundhog costume...
                        -Jesse Pasleytm
                        "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

This is just for comparison! The upper part show’s the stamps in doc’s “monk book”, and in the lower part you can see the stamps from Demasco’s certificate.
                          Attached Files
                          Don’t take life too serious, as you won’t get out of it alive anyway.

Comment

Stamps

Cheyenne,

thanks for putting this up. I was getting ready to put mine up, since there are some, let's say inconsistencies there.

Uwe

Comment

Interesting comparison.

The two stamps on his student book (that's all it is) are not at all similar to the stamps in my book. (The stamps in my book were obtained by Shi De Cheng, stamped in the Shaolin temple). The student book is just that, it's given out to anyone that trains at the wushu guan. Probably wushu guan stamps. Completely meaningless in my opinion, you can train for one day and get one of those books. I never bothered to get one years ago, as I never really gave a shit about getting a "grade", lol.

The ambassador certificate, in my opinion, looks like something that you can get at one of those outdoor stands. Not in Chinese? Handwriting corrections? "Head abbot?" (What's a head abbot? I know what a head nurse is. She's the one with the dirt on her knees. Do head abbots have the same?) No official Chinese stamps? (They stamp every damn certificate I've ever seen, with at least one and usually two stamps). In my opinion, it's pretty hokey. For such an important position, as its been described publicly in god knows how many magazines, I'd expect something a little better than that.

Something, more on the line of Steve "the long haired one's".

LOL. ****ing classic.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X