This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan

The official Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan, which is owned and operated by the local Henan government, is undergoing some tremendous renovation. I was privy to the new architectural plans, and what they're going to have in the next few years, is just mind boggling. Talk about a nice hotel.

But at present, the wushu guan training area has been completely, or, almost completely renovated. New floors, a new performance hall, new hallways, new exterior, but, the same old paint and broken mirrors in the training halls. The old hotel is planned for major renovation this year; I've seen the plans, and it's going to be a corker, as you British say. Within the next three years, a new 100 room, three or four star hotel will rise, in the area behind the present day restaurant. The present day restaurant will be torn down to become a parking plaza. Oh, and to the west of the grand staircase to the wushu guan, will be another entrance way, flanked by two tremendous waterfalls.

They've got some grand ideas for this project.

Training takes place indoors, which is a major plus, especially on those rainy days (which, every day was during my last three week trip), or on those cold days in October/November. Being indoors is a major plus, something which no other school in the area does well. The hotel is much better than any local school accomodation, but is inferior to most local Dengfeng hotels. Training is usually one on one, with an actual monk (wushu guan performance team member), so, you know he's good. Problem is, sometimes their knowledge is limited (I recently discovered on this past trip, that I know more forms and applications than these guys. Can't do it nearly as well, but, their knowledge of traditional stuff is limited). Still, it's good training, you'll learn some basic traditional stuff, and a lot of contemporary Shaolin forms, including the Shaolin basics.

Food is included at the local restaurant. The quality depends upon the chef that they have that year. As I've said before, the restaurant is coming down, and the new restaurant will be in the new 100 room wing that will be built over the following two years. Expect it all to be finished by 2005.

Don't expect hot water all the time, also, sometimes water is a rarity, depending upon the current situation in the nearby reservoir. Rooms are air conditioned, electricity is usually reliable.

Cost is 50 USD a day, includes everything (hotel, food, training).

Overall, a very worthwhile experience, especially for those who have never trained in Shaolin.

Doc Discount: If you are interested in training at the official Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan, contact me. I can arrange much less expensive rates.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

wu shu guan

Hey doc, are you talking of the wu shu guan or about shi de cheng's wu shu guan???
    martial way is mine, death one is yours
    call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

This thread is for the Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan, not the Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan.

The Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan is also affectionately known as the "wushu guan".

Wushu guan just means "hall where you do wushu", lol. So, it's a bit of a poor identifier. Theoretically, all these schools are "wushu guans", but, those of us who have been to Shaolin, generally refer to the Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan, as the WUSHU GUAN. The other places are just, for example, Decheng's school (which he calls the Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan), or, Deqian's school, (which he calls the Shaolin Temple International Wushu Guan Institute, or some shit like that).

Understand?

Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

about WUSHU GUAN

Doc, refering to :"Doc Discount: If you are interested in training at the official Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan, contact me. I can arrange much less expensive rates."

I´m so interested in training there, but having alot of money is a big issue for me right now... So I wonder, how much less expensive rates are we talking about? Is it really so that you are teached by a monk. And that it´s your own instructur? Is the school located in DengFeng? Can they teach weapon skills?

Thanks again/ Andreas

Comment

Yes, you are taught by a performance monk, who is well skilled in the basics, some traditional stuff, and some awesome contemporary stuff. He will be a personal instructor, depending upon how many people you go with of course. (go alone, get your own, go with a group, you share him). The school is located in Shaolin village, about a kilometer from the temple. It is the only school left in Shaolin village. They teach weapon skills too.

As far as money is concerned, when you're ready to go, let me know. I'll have to make some phone calls, and it will take some time. But I can get the price down, more for the longer that you go.

russbo.com

Comment

Doc, Thanks again for helping me.

Comment

Doc, what is the price for a native Chinese?
              Last edited by shaolin_disciple_fei_hung; 10-30-2003, 10:55 AM.
              call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

You won't get it.

The domestic Chinese kids that train at the Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan pay a completely different price structure. They also live in completely different dormitories and environments. That option is not availabe to you.

Nor would you want it.

I don't know exactly what they pay at this point. No doubt it's similar to the other schools; I talked about domestic Chinese students fees in the site, I think, under Site Content/Shaolin/The Monks/Shi Xing Hong. I think.
                Now that the menu is working, you should be able to find it.

Prices actually vary at these schools. Most monks take students on a "pay as you can" basis. So the fee structure is not always fixed. In my travels, I've found it to be highly variable.

(Just checked, I did discuss student fees in the Shi Xing Hong page).

russbo.com

Comment

Y wouldn'tI want it? the confort ? pfou, the principal is the training

Comment

They won't let you. That "facility" is not open to foreigners, from what I've seen.

Now, if you want to live in the absolute ****s, other Dengfeng schools will let you live with the domestic students. But even then, the prices tend to be different, and the living accomodations somewhat better. But the Wushu Guan tries to primarily cater to foreigners. They're not going to put you with the domestic students.

russbo.com

Comment

Even when we are young? imagine a foreigners of 10 years old (I m not 10, just an exemple) ask to train as a native Chinese, they would still dont accept? Is it the skin's colour?

Comment

I've seen young Hong Kong kids come with their families, and stay at the Wushu Guan hotel (they had money). The domestic section is for the domestic kids. It's the absolute ****s man. Check out the pictures of their facilities on the site.

Somewhere on the site. Use the Search feature, it should find it.

russbo.com

Comment

Domestic students => do you mean children that were born next to it or true domestic that wash the floor and all these things?
                          If it is that, Shi xing wei was not born in this province and many other monk dont ether...

Comment

The wushu guan apparently has upgraded their hotel at this time. I mentioned a few years ago that they were going to do a major renovation. I'm not sure if what they have accomplished is what they wanted to do, but I'm told that at this time, the hotel there is now a 4 star hotel, and that all the renovations have mostly been completed.

Take that 4 star hotel comment for what it is worth.

People interested in training there, can stay at that hotel. I do not know what the current training prices are, however, a standard room there now goes for 680 Yuan per night.

russbo.com

Comment

Hey Doc.
                              Got a few small questions about schools in the Dengfeng area. Maybe you know, maybe you don't.

1st. Tagao has their main school on the Shaolin grounds. I know that. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's where foreigners live and train if you stay at Tagao. BUT, they also have a school on that main road as you enter Dengfeng from Shaolin. Is that school in operation too. If so, I knoew they had a lot 8000 students or so, but DAMN.

2nd. You know the second Shaolin village also on the enterance to Dengfeng from Shaolin.... Well I was talking to a girl at one of those shops and asking where most of the foreigners she sees train. She said Tagao, of course, and the smaller "Xiao Long Shaolin Xuexiao". You know that one ? Located right across from this other Shaolin village. (I call it that because I cant remember the name they gave that area) Right behind the "Song Shan Shaolin Wu Xue Xiao" Do you know anything about this school (Xiao Long Shaolin), do they have monk's, performance or other ? Just curious..

3rd. There is another large school right behind this second Shaolin village. I couldn't translate the whole name from my limited knowlage of Chinese. It has a Small version of Shaolin's entrance gate as their entrace gate. Her's a pic I took.
                              http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=SANY1250.jpg

If you know anything about it, please talk. I was awed by the imposing gate.

I will spend a month or so at some point in Dengfeng of Shaolin training before my stint in China is over, so I thought I'd ask. I rather not pay the outrageous prices for the Wushu guan ot for Tagou.
                              Thanks...
                              "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Working...
                              X