Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which school for me....please help

Hey guys,

I know you must get this question a LOT as I have read through all that is archived and all that is still present, but I seriously need help on this one. The Great Bald One said that I would be most comfortable in DeCheng's school, and I was happy with it until I picked up this month's issue of KungFu/Qigong, in which it listed the top 3 schools in DengFeng after their annual "A" tournament. DeCheng's school was not in there, in fact, the only school I had even heard about before was "Taguo". For those of you who haven't read the article, they placed as follows:

1: "Shaolin temple Taguo Martial Arts academy under Grandmaster Liu Baoshan"
    2: "Shaolin Temple Shi Xialong Martial Arts School under Grandmaster Chen Tongshan"
    3: "Henan Dengfeng Shaolin Epo Martial Arts Professional school under Grandmaster Liang Yiquan"

I have also heard very good things on this forum about YangZang's school (sorry if I did not spell it corectly), and I am also interested in that. I would like suggestions as to which school would fit me given the information below:

I am 14, will be 15 by the time I actually go. I currently weigh about 95 pounds and am 5'4". I am in fairly good physical condition, I have trained MA for a culmitive year and a half now, and when I actually go, it should be around 26 months. I am looking for a school that trains constantly, prefferably somewhere around 6 hours a day. I would like one that focuses on weapons training too. Here is where it gets interesting. I am looking for a challenge. I would kill myself if I went to China and went to a school where I could almost do the stuff after a few days. I want something where I will have to work my ass off, where by the time I leave, I will understand it and be in top physical condition. Oh, and I will be staying for approximately 2 months, a few days after school ends to a few days before it starts again.

Thanks in advance to those who reply,
    Ilya

All these views and no one can help?

Comment

Be careful what you read, and, how you interpret it. Also remember, everyone has a purpose. Everyone has a motivation. Magazines have to sell to make money. Even this one, which I feel is a very, very good and respectable martial arts magazine. Gene does an awesome job of putting this thing together every month. I've got a great deal of respect for him and his abilities.

I don't say that about many martial arts magazines, lol.

Yes, he's right, Tagou is the best. It's also the biggest. It's also in the process of moving to one hell of a small city of a new school. But it's not for you. You'll get lost there.

Why don't I recommend what you read in this magazine? These schools don't cater to foreigners, though, they do accept them. They primarily exist and cater to domestic Chinese students. They may take foreigners, but, for example, at Tagou, with over eight thousand students, you'll get thrown into some small room with a bunch of other kids, and get some seventeen year old gong fu coach that will teach you wushu. A coach who may never have ever seen a white kid before in his life. Tagou, I've heard, does a good job with foreigners, but, remember, you'll get some young coach, who graduated from Tagou, who will teach you what he learned. Good wushu. No Chan, less and less traditional stuff. Why go all the way to Shaolin, to get lost in some huge wushu oriented school?

So, yes, these are incredible gong fu schools. But, if you want more personalized, more traditional training, you go where you've been recommended to go. With the monks.

God, I'm jetlagged to hell here, lol. Sleep? What's sleep...
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

O.K. Thanks doc, however, this brings up the question:

DeCheng or YangZhang?

Comment

When are you going?

Decheng travels a lot. If he's not there, you're going to get the same experience at either school. He'll be here in Las Vegas for November/December period.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Haha Doc, I could've sworn we went over this....

I'm going in late June. You reccomended DeCheng but there was a thread on YangZhang's where everyone (including you) highly reccomended him

Comment

Not sure where Decheng will be in June. He usually goes to France then.

I'd recommend that you start at Yanzhang's for a few weeks to get the basics down. (it's cheaper too). Then head over to Decheng's and get some traditional forms in. But I'd only go to Decheng's if Decheng will be there. It's too early to tell right now. He might possibly be here for that matter.

russbo.com

Comment

Oh....well thanks for replying

What's the difference between him there and if he was in France? It's not like he would teach me personally, is it?

Comment

If he was in France and you were in Dengfeng, it wouldn't be much help now, would it. But, if you live in France, you could save yourself one hell of a trip. Problem is, I don't know what school he teaches at over there.

russbo.com

Comment

Ummmm no thats not what I meant. I don't live in France.

I meant to ask why he would have to be personally over there in DengFeng when he probably wouldn't personally teach me anyways

Comment

He would personally teach you, from time to time. That's the benefit of going there.

russbo.com

Comment

Wow cool!

Are there any bonuses for knowing the great Doc?

Comment

Working...
                        X