Potential Las Vegas Thanksgiving Seminar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Las Vegas Thanksgiving Seminar

Some questions have arisen concerning the Thanksgiving weekend event at my house, for the monks and their students. Nobody seems to have any problem with the food part, as expected; the problem seems to stem from what else is going to happen that weekend.

My original thoughts were to have an open seminar, where the invited people who came to visit us, could train with whatever monk masters that showed up, and, that were interested in teaching. At this point, I know that Shi Xing Wei and Shi De Cheng will be available to teach. Now, I've gotten emails from some of the other monks in the US; I have not offered their services, though, if they wanted to do something with us, they would be more than welcome. Also, this event is NOT open to the general public.

The question is, the following: Do we make this event open to the public (excluding dinner at my house)? Do we create an organized seminar for that weekend, in a local hotel, with a real schedule? And, of course, charge fees to the general public?

I need to know what you want to do. At this point, I'm pretty busy with all sorts of other stuff, but if there is a demand to make this into a general public thing, with the participation of the invited monks, I need to know soon.

Please respond. Give me your thoughts.
    Keep it private, open only to Shaolin monks and their students, with non-scheduled, free, open participation training at the Chan Wu Xue Yuan
    23.08%
    Open it up to the general public, with a seminar taught by Shi Xing Wei and Shi De Cheng; private dinner for invited people only at doc's house Saturday night
    23.08%
    Organize a large seminar, taught by various monks from all over the US who agree to come, open to and advertised to the general public for a fee, with proceeds going towards the participating monk's schools
    7.69%
    Don't tell anybody, train at doc's, eat dinner at doc's, pray with doc....
    46.15%
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Carpooling from LA?

Well to be perfectly honest Rich, I don't think I'll be able to make it up to chan wu xue yuan in october here, the idea of the trip fell through with everyone else involved. So now I have to go to Big Bear mountain with a bunch of particularly cute girls and climb trees. Then rapel out of said trees. Oh darn. But anyway, with this in mind, if I can make it to the whole thanksgiving gala, (I'll try but it's not looking good) I wouldn't be a registered student unless I registered on say, thursday or friday. So in my biased opinion, opening it up to the general, or perhaps just the specific public, would be nice.

On that note...... (assuming Doc is going to allow me to attend this event, which is a big assumption) Is anyone else planning on going from the greater Los Angeles area? Preferably someone who owns a car that can make it through the desert? I'd be more than happy to split gas money, etc.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

If you do decide to open it to the public, I'll see if I can get some people from my school to carpool down there. Unless you have a problem with rowdy TCM students. But seriously we're not all that rowdy, except for the girl with the gambling/drinking problem....... but I don't think she's interested in gongfu.

Comment

Just FYI: I'm hearing that Shi Xing Ying, Shi Xing Hao, Shi Yan Ming, and, incredibly, possibly Shi Xing Hong (from Hungary) are considering coming to this shindig. Could be quite the adventure..

Need feedback on this seminar thing though. I'm researching the feasibility of putting it together.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Apparently, everybody want's to come and eat dinner at doc's, and then pray...

What happened to the gong fu training concept?

We're currently looking into changing this into a real seminar, which will be open to the public. More details as they become available.

russbo.com

Comment

Cool keep us posted doc....
            Unfortunately it is opening day at my favorite ski area too.... Errr, my winter dilema, train or ski .

It seems to be an interesting proposition though doc. How long of a seminar are you thinking?
            practice wu de

Comment

It would be a weekend long thing, if we do it. I'm still looking into the costs and stuff. More details soon.

Where you going skiing?

russbo.com

Comment

Taos, NM...
                My sister and brother-in-law are down there, we ski opening day (and about 15 other days) together every year there.
                practice wu de

Comment

I think that considering the fact that it's Thanksgiving, it's going to be difficult to run a real seminar. Plus, for those who are spending the time and money to come visit Shi Decheng and Shi Xingwei, it probably wouldn't be fair to have them tied up teaching a seminar. I think it might be best to just stick with the original plan of having a nice little get together. There will be plenty of time to get everyone together, and have seminars out here in the future.

russbo.com

Comment

Plus, if you are there, you know some training is bound to occur.
                    practice wu de

Comment

Unless we all develop a spastic bronchitis. Nothing makes a holiday memorable quite like living through an upper respiratory hell.

Comment

Yes, it's been memorable. I've developed one hell of an empathy for all those hundreds of people that I've taken care of with serious asthma problems. It's not a fun way to live.

russbo.com

Comment

It looks like we might have a "special visitor" for this Thanksgiving get together....

We'll see.

russbo.com

Comment

Shifu said that when he mentioned going to Vegas to the students, the parents all glared at him and said, "YOU?! VEGAS?! Do you know what is in Vegas?!"

Yea.

Doc is in Vegas....

LOL

russbo.com

Comment

Doc, I am sure that it is not you who everyone fears. It is those organisms commonly known as "hotties" that has them worried. ;-)

Don't worry. you shall all be safe. I have the hotties under control.

Lately, for some reason, they have all been fearing me...

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X