Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training in Thailand

G'day.

Was wondering if any of you guys have done any training in Thailand.
    Im considering going there for 2 months on the tail end of my China training. Im quite keen to do a couple months Muay Thai.

Has anyone here been there to train in Muay Thai. If so, is it expensive. Whats the living conditions like?
    Are there similar schools as to china, where you can live and train? Or would I have to stay in a hostel for the duration, and travel to the gyms.

Cheers

Talk to doc.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

There are as many Muay Thai schools in Thailand as there are McDonald's in Beijing. Only difference is, at McDonald's, you usually know what you're going to get. And I won't answer that.

I don't know anything about Muay Thail schools in Bangkok. Been to a few fights there (I've got this hysterical picture of me and the "champ" I'm going to have to dig up) but never trained there. I don't tend to spend a lot of time in Bangkok; to me, it's a great place to visit and see once before you die, but to spend time there, well, that's another story.

I personally like to go to Phuket. I spend a lot of time in southern Thailand, because the weather and clean air suits me a lot better now. There are a few training opportunities in Phuket, all good in their own little ways, all different to some extent.

Some of the bigger gymnasiums are just that. Big gyms. Kids get together, don't really undergo much formal training, and just work out and hit the bags. They tend to pick up the art from watching the other guys, which, if you've got a lot of time, is not a bad way to go. I like to have a more personalized approach, which is why I train with Master J, on the northern/western part of the island.

His family has been teaching for about two hundred years; he used to fight professionally in Thailand, and currently teaches in Thailand and in some other parts of the world (usually Switzerland and Italy, as he has some students there). He has a small gym in his house, with a professional size ring (under a roof) outside. When I'm in Thailand, I try to train for one hour each day, one on one, at his gym. He tends to focus not only on the theory and principles behind it, but also the physical training itself, which I tend to like. I've been training with him now for over a year, when I'm there, and I have found him to be a good teacher, and an excellent Muay Thai coach. His kids are quite the thing to watch in the ring. At ten years old, they'd make a good effort to embarrass you in the ring, lol.

I've spoken with him about coming to the US to teach at our school. It's in the works, once we get on our feet a little more here, I've also spoken with him about teaching some of the russbo webbies here, and he has no problem setting up weekly, monthly, or otherwise training events.

If you were to go to Phuket (I recommend it; hell, I'm jealous), he could set you up at a nearby hotel for about half the usual price. Training would consist of at least two intensive hours per day, more if you want. The fees are very reasonable, though, expect to pay a little more per day there than in Dengfeng. There is no opportunity to live at the school, as it is in his house, though, he is looking into the possibility of building a small dormitory.

For foreigners, it is probably the best way to go. (He speaks good English, which you probably won't find at these other gym places). He has also trained foreigners for years, which is a good thing. And, with training two to three hours a day, that would leave you lots of time to do other things. Important things.

Like, go to the beach. Eat seafood. Chase little Thai womens.

Oh, what am I doing here in Vegas, lol...
      Attached Files
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Cheers.

Thats sounds sweet aye. Im not too worried about getting the BEST training possible. If all goes to plan, ill be there for a month or so after a 6 month (hopefully) stint in Yan Zhangs school.

Would like to do some casual training and hang out on the beach before I head home. And maybe catch up on a few things I wont have been able to in China mmmmmmmmm

I was thinking of going to Phuket. I heard its nicer. A few of my friends have been through there.
        Ill definately be keen to check out Master J.

So cheers for any info

Comment

I'll set you up. I'll post some information the site. I can't find the pictures that I took in the past (they might be in the Photo Library).

Let me know when you want to go. I can arrange discounts at a nearby (good) hotel also. I can also arrange the training. You'll have to find your own women.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Once again, you tha man!
            Cheers! Ill update you closer to the time. Im planning to hit China in July. So Thailand will probably be Dec/Jan. A while away yet. Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
              Cheers.

I was thinking of going to Phuket. I heard its nicer. A few of my friends have been through there.
              Ill definately be keen to check out Master J.
              Good Choice.

Uwe

Comment

OK, here's the link to the hotel that we can set you up at. Expect a good discount, if I remember, at least thirty to forty percent off the regular price. Might be able to get it even cheaper for you long term. I'll have to work on that.

Got pictures coming.

Definitely go to Phuket. Don't bother with Bangkok. Trust me on this one.

russbo.com

Comment

Cheers for that.
                  But it looks a bit expensive for me even with such a generous discount.
                  Im really on a tight ass budget for my trip. Im looking to pay around US$10 a night at the most.
                  I dont quite travel in such style. Generally sticking to hostels.

Thanks anyway, maybe second time round ill hit that place.

Comment

We could also find a house for you to rent, depending upon how long you were planning on staying. Just need to know when you're going. It's very doable.

russbo.com

Comment

Here's some pictures of Master J's training center. Here's me with a dog.
                      Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

Here's me with Master J. Don't ask what the dog is doing.
                        Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

Here's me looking really stupid. Nice legs, eh?
                          Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

Master J's kids getting ready to kick my ass.
                            Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

The ring outside. I think the black thing in the corner is part of my worn out prostrate body.
                              Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X