Choy Lay Fut Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choy Lay Fut Newbie

I've just begun training in Choy Lay Fut; just myself and a couple of other students who've been training with our instructor for about 1.5 years and 1 year, respectively. Our teacher, who has told us about his teacher in Florida has told me that I shouldn't refer to him as Sifu. I've had a little training in other systems; Korean and Okinawan, and I've never encountered this admonition. He only charges us a minimal amount and is very flexible as far as availability. He's also motivated and enthusiastic about Choy Lay Fut. Can anyone help me understand this request? Of course, I'll honor it, just wondering.
    Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

dingodog1

Ask him.

My guess is, they had a falling out or (hopefully) he sees little point in grafting Eastern tradition into 21st century USA.

After all, will what you call your teacher's teacher have any impact on how you learn and perform?

Mark
    Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

I'm impressed with this guy's attitude. Very humble. Very genuine.

Very different from the usual US martial arts school, where you'll find some twenty year old kid that demands to be called "master"....
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
        I'm impressed with this guy's attitude. Very humble. Very genuine.

Very different from the usual US martial arts school, where you'll find some twenty year old kid that demands to be called "master"....

Dingodog1

I second that motion.

Seems like you will be able to learn quite a bit there, so if you like it, stay with the person.

Uwe

Comment

There is also the chance he never had that sifu name given to him by his teacher... which could either mean a lot or nothing...

It does seem he's got a good attitude, good luck with your studies.
          practice wu de

Comment

Choy Lay Fut

Thanks guys, He is a very impressive guy. Definitely a character and fortunately for me he also has it. He's a former USMC grunt and a current bondsman.
            Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

Working...
            X