Clear All

• Shaolin Ulysses PBS Special

Another review that was sent to me:

Variety

Posted: Thurs., Jul. 11, 2002, 5:46pm PT

Shaolin Ulysses: Kungfu Monks in America

(Docu)
    A Lotus Film production in association with the Independent Television
    Service. Produced, directed by Mei-Juin Chen, Martha Burr. Screenplay, Burr.
    With: Shi Guolin, Li Peng Zhang, Shi Xing Hao, Shi De Shan, Shi Xing Hong.
    Narrator: Beau Bridges.

By SCOTT FOUNDAS

Mei-Juin Chen and Martha Burr's "Shaolin Ulysses" is a brisk portrait
    of five "kungfu monks" attempting, by various methods, to transfer the teachings of
    China's famed Shaolin Temple to American soil. Peppered with delightful archival
    footage from decades-old informational films produced about the temple, with
    onscreen demonstrations of such hair-raising martial arts techniques as "iron
    stomach" and "iron crotch" (just what it sounds like), pic is bound to entertain
    festival audiences far and wide with long ancillary life to follow.

Based in such disparate American outposts as New York City, Houston
    and Las Vegas, Chen and Burr's subjects are united in their wide-eyed infatuation
    with America, and there's a raucous innocence to that love affair that makes "Shaolin
    Ulysses" instantly charming. A highlight is the story of ex-monk Li Peng Zhang and his
    very Catholic wife, who live happily in New York and proudly proclaim their son will be
    raised "half-Catholic, half-Buddhist." Chen and Burr put the emphasis on character -- in less than an hour, we feel like we really get to know these monks -- but there's still
    enough high-flying, high-kicking action to keep genre fans happy.

Camera (color, digital video), Teodoro Maniaci; editor, Mei-Juin Chen;
    music, John Zorn. Reviewed at Los Angeles Film Festival (competing), June 26, 2002. Mandarin and English dialogue. Running time: 56 MIN.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

the flavor of that review seems kinda...sarcastic, no?

Comment

Hmm, sarcastic is one way to describe that review. Pretentious, arrogant, and belittling would be another way to describe it. Maybe the reviewer was having a bad day.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Hello Friends and Family!

For those of you who haven't caught a screening yet of Martha and Mei-Juin's
        documentary SHAOLIN ULYSSES: KUNGFU MONKS IN AMERICA, it will air on PBS'
        Independent Lens show tomorrow night (Tuesday 10/28) at 10 pm on most PBS
        stations across the country. Some cities may vary, so do check local listings...or
        set your TIVO...
        And check out our PBS website on the doc with lots of cool pics from our
        shoot, Shaolin history, q&a, links, and more at pbs.org (search: Shaolin Ulysses)

Thanks so much to everyone who supported us and helped in so many ways!

Martha Burr & Mei-Juin Chen
        Attached Files
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Doc,

I guess it was not shown in all areas. In the Chicagoland area schedule, it shows now for November 3 at Noon. They had a frigging auction on last night instead.

Uwe

Comment

Well it aired in LA, and it was pretty good as far as documentaries go.

I did have one qualm with, and no doc it had nothing to do with you, but with the director in stead. There were a few rediculously stupid shots where the cameras did a closeup of a monks face while he was performing a form, so closeup that you couldn't see what the rest of his body was doing. This type of cinemetography ruined the footage of an otherwise beautiful twohanded straightsword form.

And by the way doc, you never mentioned you live in a royal mansion...... christ your "house" dwarfs the apartment complex I live in. By alot.
            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

We've been added to the Independent Lens' (http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/shaolinulysses/) web site:

This Web site, created and maintained by Las Vegas physician Rich Russell, who is featured in SHAOLIN ULYSSES, includes lots of information on Shaolin, the temple and more. (Note: this site is fairly unstable and may crash your computer.)

Dissed again...
              lol

russbo.com

Comment

Uwe, in Las Vegas, it was shown at 5 AM.

Rick and Steve watched it. Talk about loyal russbo webbies.

(I didn't bother...)

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                  Uwe, in Las Vegas, it was shown at 5 AM.

Rick and Steve watched it. Talk about loyal russbo webbies.

At least some are.

Uwe

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                    We've been added to the Independent Lens' (http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/shaolinulysses/) web site:

This Web site, created and maintained by Las Vegas physician Rich Russell, who is featured in SHAOLIN ULYSSES, includes lots of information on Shaolin, the temple and more. (Note: this site is fairly unstable and may crash your computer.)

Dissed again...
                    lol
                    I have yet to manage to crash my box when logging on to your site.

Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by Uwe
                      I have yet to manage to crash my box when logging on to your site.

Oh well...
                      Tell them that. There's a feedback section ("Talkback") on their site.
                      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Originally posted by Uwe
                        Doc,

I guess it was not shown in all areas. In the Chicagoland area schedule, it shows now for November 3 at Noon. They had a frigging auction on last night instead.
                        Correction: Monday, November 3, midnight
                        Shaolin Ulysses: Kungfu Monks in America

Sorry!

Comment

Doc, they love you, they really do.....

(copied from the pbs independent lens site, talkback section)

10/29/03
                          Martha Burr
                          Los Angeles, CA
                          Filmmakers reply -- As longtime friends of Shi Yan Ming, we warmly invited him to participate in our film, but due to schedule conflicts and other personal reasons he regretfully declined. We are sorry not to be able to tell his fascinating story in this film, but look in back issues of Kungfu magazine, or visit his website listed in our Learn More section here.

Russbo.com is now listed in that section as well -- it was omitted due to a glitch before! Rich was fantastic to work with, a great host, and now we are thrilled that his school is taking off in Vegas with so many top monks visiting -- don't miss next month's seminars. And his site is great, go there!

A big HI to Brian O'Shea who wrote in below -- Brian helped us out greatly on our China shoot as he was visiting Shaolin Temple at that time -- thanks again Brian!

Martha & Mei-Juin
                          Don’t take life too serious, as you won’t get out of it alive anyway.

Comment

Miracles do happen on occasion.

Uwe

Comment

Some funny feedback from Kungfu Online

Gene sent me the link to this. Some interesting commentary from that link, lol....

All in all a cool show, though. But what was up with that gal that was all about the fame and getting on tv so her friends could see her? I also found it a little funny for the doctor with the Ferrari and big house in Vegas to be speaking of shaolin principles and the monks after having such an extravagant lifestyle. (I'm not too critical; I'm a capitalist as well)
                              xxxx

That's Doc for you. He runs www.russbo.com, and is affiliated (finacially, I think) with the Las Vegas Shaolin Temple branch. He may be an @ss sometimes, but he's a genuine student of Shaolin
                              xxx

An @ss. The least he could have done was spell it correctly.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X