Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I want to use material on your site for my book!"

Hey Doc,

How are things? Hope the new school in Vegas is going well, I can now really appreciate that starting and running classes and courses is not as simple as I once thought it would be. In fact the actual teaching part is a very small aspect of the work involved, and that gradually it becomes systematic and easier, but doing everything for the first time can really get frustrating.

I am in the process of writing a document about Shaolin history, in particular how it relates to our lineage from the southern temple, but as part of it I obviously need to cover the northern temple, as it is the birth place of the Shaolin Arts. I was looking on the new and very nice looking russbo.com for information on lineage of the monks, and some idea of a timeline of events for the past century, in fact I have looked in a lot of places but a lot of websites seem to have some very fanciful and biased accounts of the last century of the northern temple, often written creatively to give them some sort of self generated official-ness. I was wondering if you could point me to any particular area of the site, or article that might help me with some of this info, you certainly seem to be the best informed about the older monks, and I am very interested in the 13 (or was it 14) who ‘returned’ and the De and earlier generations. None of the Yan generation monks’ sites seem to touch the subject and their disciples and students are a bit defensive over the issue.

I hope all is well for you in business and pleasure and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards
    xxx xxxxx

Yes, running a school is far more headache than I ever imagined. The "behind the scenes" stuff takes far too much time. And with the explosive growth of the school here in Las Vegas, it's been absolutely crazy. I'm currently working on a computer system to keep track of our ever growing student base. It's the only way to stay on top of things.

There is lots of information about Shaolin history scattered throughout the site. No, I can't remember exactly where I've written about things, but, I did do one thing that will make life easier for you. I installed a google like search engine on the server. It does incredible searches of the russbo.com web site. You can find it in the Java menu (which I just fixed, and now works like a dream), under, "Search". Imagine that.

Also, the Forum Archive, and the Forum, have their own search features. I also installed other hacks to the new Forum which cross reference items, to better allow you to find things.

Don't forget to look in the Journals too. I've written about things in my Journals, found both on the site and in the Discussion Archive and Forum.

If you reference anything from the site or from my writings, I'd appreciate your making mention of that in your work. I've been told by others that they are planning on writing a "definitive book" on Shaolin history, and that they plan on using a great deal of the material found in my writings. Remember, everything on this site is copyrighted. The last thing I need at this point is more work with attorneys. Please keep my life simple. It's easier for all of us that way.

Good luck with your project. Let me know if I can help.

doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Working...
X