da mo yuan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• da mo yuan

who is this "da mo yuan", uwe, u talked of him in many of your post so...
    martial way is mine, death one is yours
    call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

da mo is usually bodhidarma or po ti da mo or for short, da mo, damo, tamo, or any other spelling. There is a lot of info on this individual throughout the internet and this site... try a search.
    practice wu de

Comment

of course I know da mo is bodhidarma, but uwe post a picture of a guy call da mo yuan in the picture library
      look it's him
      Attached Files
      call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

oh... sorry...
        practice wu de

Comment

That might be a different transiliteration of Da Mo Quan. Which would mean damo fist, or bodhidharma style. In that case the heading would not be the name of the man but the name of the form or style the man was executing in the photo.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

the damo yuan...

as far as I know, and as far as I know what Uwe is referring to, the Damo Yuan is not one monk, but a group of monks.

There are several formations, I guess, for the lack of a better word, of monks within the ranks of the Shaolin temple monks. Such as the Lohan Tang, for instance. This was a group of 18 monks that were the best fighters from each of the 5 Shaolin Ch'an families. For instance, you may have noticed that Shi Wan Heng does not have a generational name taken from Fu Yu's poem, and that is because he is not of the same "family"- Fu Yu, and most of the monks today, are Cao Dong, while Wan Heng was Linji, if memory serves me right. The Da Mo Yuan was a group of four fighting monks who were charged with specifically protecting the abbot. There was also the San Jing Gung, a group of three fighting monks who protected the manuscripts in the library.

At least, I think this is what Uwe was talking about.

P.S. Uwe- you will be happy to know that your old master is doing very well in Vienna- Heng Xin reports of him stretching and kicking as always- even joining in when the young students train to do kicks. He is able to stay in Vienna now, and not have to go back to China, where it was felt his position would not be comfortable, for lack of a better word...I think you catch my drift.
            "Arhat, I am your father..."
            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

what was the "use " in the temple, of the da mo yuan?

Comment

well...

...the 'use' beyond the obvious stated use, that of being sort of bodyguards- which begs the question why would an abbot need to be protected by body guards, so I think they were more just sort of attendants- is, and now you are getting into the storied history of Shaolin's past, and I honestly do not know the true historocity of this info, this is what is handed down to us, but I don't see any reason to *not* believe it, was when you were deemed ready to leave the temple, you had to undergo certain tests, legends of which have been presented in infinite permutations in movies, TV series, and books- but one of the things you had to do was fight your way through the Lohan Tang, the Damo Yuan, and the San Jing Gung, and if you were able to defeat these gentleman, who might look upon you favorbaly and so 'take it easy' on you as Shi Yan Ming has said, then your task was to navigate the infamous Mu Yi Xiang, or as we know it, the Hall of Wooden Dummies/Men/Robots of Death whatever. Some say this is just fanciful, some say Wan Heng remembers the iron kettle before it was 'put away' for good, some say the last of the branded masters were his master's masters...lot of saying. I have heard more than one monk say, or have had it translated as them having said, that the Qing murdered branded monks on sight, which is not too far fetched considering how they treated those with the Shou jie- which Wan Heng does sport. Stories probably came from somewhere, some kernal of truth is usually at the heart of them. I am sure the stories have been treated to exaageration, just as I am sure some of it is certainly true. Shi Yan Ming has mentioned he has actual drawing plans gleaned from some one of his past masters that shows how the hall is/was to be constructed, and Wan Heng has promised the now not guilty Brian Grey a drawing of the Hu and the Long and the kettle they were on.
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Thanks for the lesson.
                  practice wu de

Comment

arhat, so they are sort of legend?

Comment

who do you mean?

The brands? The formations?

At least the Damo Yuan exist, that I know of...
                      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

it is like in the movie with shi xiao long the little "monk"in shaolin popey, when the fight the iron monk...that's it?

Comment

Shi Wan Heng told me back in 1998 that the iron kettle was a myth. As did everyone else that I had asked.

Smoke and mirrors....
                          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                          russbo.com

Comment

kettles cauldrons and conundrums...

whaaaaaaattttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

yeah...that seemed to be the general consensus as to the brands...but it is never easy to understand things with the changing stories. Could be language, as I've often thought I understood something that later got clarified to the degree that I did not as the person's language and vocabulary grew. It's fascinating to see someone's language skills grow, and the effect that has on their ability to communicate. Anyway, Grey is convinced apparently of his info from his interview, and SDY seemed to know what he was referring to, because he said "Hu" and "Long" and made arm gestures. Maybe SWH was just messing around with him, but he swears up and down SWH is going to draw him a picture of it. As far as SDY, to throw a little salt in there, he knew what we were talking about, but he was not necessarily commenting on the legitimacy of the info- to me it just seemed like he knew what we were talking about.

SDY was with us for a few days (flying back to you today I believe) and I can only imagine what it must have been like for SYM's first students, duct taping flashlights to the walls of the 'school.' Communication beyond 'mind to mind' transmissions of 'you take my picture here' was not prevalent.

Also, how did you handle all the spitting and nose blowing at dinner? He loves mojitos, just so you know. Has an interesting technique as far as consuming them. He will stick his fork into the cup and devour all the mint leaves.
                            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Da Mo Yuan

Guys,

first of all I have to apologize for not replying any sooner, but I had an emergency that took considerable time to deal with.

Arhat, thanks for replying on my behalf and yes you are fully correct. It's the four monks that protected the abbot.

As for my old master, enjoy it as much as you can. I truly did when I was with him.

Uwe

PS: I will attempt to start catching up a little more in the next few days, meaning adding new images, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X