No announcement yet.

Shaolins vs. UFC/Pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what are you saying, anyway? Spiderman would completely decimate Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
      So what are you saying, anyway? Spiderman would completely decimate Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.
      hehehe nice

Comment

I've been reading a lot here lately and not contributing much...
        makes me feel guilty..

I came to this forum because I was enchanted by the "history" of Shaolin, and wanted to find out more about Shaolin martial arts as well as Ch'an Buddhism.
        After learning how questionable history is, and the present state of things, I begin to wonder...

But as it is, I still have faith in the legitamacy of TMArts in comparison to MMArts. So I should finally speak up a little, because I'm getting annoyed at the little "we want to hear more from you why aren't you contributing message at the top of my screen when I read a thread"

Isn't it more than plausable to adapt tradional styles and internal martial arts to compete with MMA's? It's all Martial Arts. Call me sappy, but I just can't help but argue against all these heavy buffs who spit in the face of Traditional martial arts and make fun of all these silly BS stances (which probably have purposes but people who train for only six months can't quite yet see it). In competition, whether for sport or your life, you take what you have, and use it as needed. You develop according to purpose. Learning widely and practicing what you learn, then finally applying it to situations. Open minded MMArtists already supplement their training with traditional and internal studies, and some TMArtists train for modern competitions and still give buff hicks who scoff art a run for their money.

Comment

Nobody better start speaking "Klingon."
          "Arhat, I am your father..."
          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I sat for a couple minutes thinking about this question and I really think it all depends on the fighters.

They are BOTH well trained, and you can't say that a MMA fighter is disgraceful because they are fighting with limitations. Fighting for sport is not the same as fighting for survival, as the monks would. (used to)

I just think a MMA fighter is a lot more versatile. Although at times they might not look as graceful as most True Martial Artists, they get A LOT of practical fighting experience which is very valuable in combat.

But I would REALLY like to see a few examples of this. Somebody should set this up for a pay per view!

C'mon Dana White, get ur ass in gear!

Comment

TMA=Traditional Martial Art

Just as a reference

Comment

i personally see this thread as pointless, coz at the same time i could say how many guys in the ufc could get in a boxing ring with like roy jones or somebody..all you would be doing is taking one fighter out of an environment they are used to, and trained to fight in, and putting them in another that theyre not but the other guy is.. you dont take a guy trained to box and tell him to go wrestle.. ufc has rules to keep the sport aspect of it and to make it entertaining and safer for the fighters..coz let me say ive been training in traditional wingchun for almost 7 years , and theyre are alot of guys in my school that do ground fighting so we train some of that too, and im actually pretty good.. can hang with most mma.. but if im on the street or something and someone takes me to the ground garuntee theyll get a thumb in the eye or a shot to the throat on the way down

and the thing is we dont train on the ground to get good a ground fighting, we train on the ground to have enough skill to be able to get back standing where we know we have the advantage

Comment

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=13064 59806">Taekwondo VS Shaolin Snake Fist</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=1306459806&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed><br><a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.addToProfileConfirm&vide oid=1306459806&title=Taekwondo VS Shaolin Snake Fist">Add to My Profile</a> | <a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.home"> More Videos</a>

i thought this was cool, but not totally on the subject.
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I don't agree, at all, that MMA guys couldn't learn anything from Shaolin at all... When I began to study Shaolin here I was given the choice to study Sanda or Taolu. I chose Taolu 'cause thats what I'm in MA for, I like the art crap ! BUT, If I had wanted to I could have been learning Shaolin Sanda. I have watched their training many times. Not so much streaching, lots of kicking bags and learning how to kick faster while still maintaining power. They teach to kick with the front leg (not as easy to see and stop in the amount of time it takes for contact) while keeping the rear foot flat on the ground. At the moment you kick your rear foot slides forward a bit but never leaves the ground. Practice this until you can do it with power and you will have a strong kick thats fast to the point that it's extreemly difficult to stop after you see it comming. However, this is not a typical TMA style kick. It is effective and you can learn it in Shaolin.

My point, not all Shaolin has to offer is TMA, Chigong, or Meditation. You can also learn effective fighting techniques there and practice in them instead of learning any Wushu style stuff. So if you want to say a MMA wont improve their tech. from studing TMA then fine, but careful if you want to bring Shaolin into the situation. I never studied Shaolin in America and don't know what their classes offer (though I have seen Sanda listed on the websites) but here in China Shaolin Gongfu encompasses a great deal of MA tech. and theory.
                    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

On a lighter note, I would love to see a TMAist up against a muscle bound BJJ guy. Not just any TMA, but one who trains by punching brick walls and breaking steel with his hands. I'm not talking Qigong, I'm just mean simple hardcore training. A few years of punching a brick wall. I know the BJJ guy could train the same way but if the TMA'ist weighs 140 lbs and the BJJ guy is at 220 lbs then the smaller guy has the advantage of speed and agility. Both of them can deliver knock out punches, but as long as the TMA'ist keeps his distance and avoids being taken down, he has the advantage of moving around the ring faster and delivering attacks to vital areas with enough power to stun if not destroy his opponent. Theoretically speaking, of course.

I would like to see that match. Not that it would ever be allowed, but if it was to go down, Man, I would pay some erious cash to see that !

For instance, when you watch a Sanda match the speed is astounding, as well as a MuaiThai match. But then in UFC the moves are often almost lethargic, especially comparatively speaking. But often none of the fighters train to break stone with a punch. If a fighter had the speed and acuracy of a Sanda or MuaiThai fighter coupled with the power of TMA training methods, he would be a serious threat in the ring. A 140 lb dude with the power of the 220 lb guy could be seriously dangerous........
                      "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

good luck with that.
                        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Doc what would happen if one of these top Pride/UFC fighters tried to attack Decheng in the street?

Comment

They'd probably laugh.

Decheng is really fun to be around.
                            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                            russbo.com

Comment

Not the answer I was expecting but I see thats all I'am gonna get out of you.

Comment

Matches like that went down in the earlier days of MMA.

I think you guys live in polarized stereotypes...there is no need to pit a smaller TMA fighter against a huge MMA guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X