No announcement yet.

Shaolins vs. UFC/Pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maestro, so do these people you speak of claim to be able to beat a UFC guy? if they do, but aren't willing to test their skills against one of them in a public venue or tournement, then its a simple case me yelling 'bull****!' on the other hand, i imagine these people don't make any claims, and have no interest whatsoever in the matter, and that leaves you, maestro, as the person making claims when there aren't any. there simply must be a way to validate claims. that's why you have competition. and a mma tournement is, as far as i know, the fairest way of making such judgements. compared to other such competitions, there waaay more freedom in how you conduct a fight. people who complain about too many rules in a mma tournement should start complaining about every other form of martial art competition. and i simply don't understand all this talk about ego and money, as if that has something to do with fighting ability.

and on qi strikes...yeah, sorry, don't get me wrong, i've seen plenty of strange and mystical **** before, but the only person to claim to me they possessed a qi strike was a big fat guy who i subsequently knocked out in our match. i guess the force wasn't with him that day...
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

meh

im not making claims, im just stating my oppinion..believe it or not, meh i dont really care

im just talkin, but the point of it all is when it comes down to it mma tournys are just another form of entertainment, they dont prove anything
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

LOL well then I understand your position a bit better now Paz.

My experience with directing qi through my hands has all been medical so far, I don't honestly know how to properly direct it through a punch. But a fellow student at my school is in the process of learning it, and one of his xingyiquan brothers did use such a technique on him in open sparring during their class. Now let me say first that this guy is well conditioned and tough as a coffin nail. So he got hit in the ribs during this sparring match. Tried to suck it up at first. Within fifteen seconds he went down to one knee, and upon lifting his shirt to examine the damage he saw a large welt at the site of impact sitting on top of and encircled by a massive hematoma which spread down to the anterior side of the iliac crest.

Maybe the guy was just really strong. Maybe he directed his qi through his punch in order to cause xue yu (blood stagnation) in the spleen channel. Maybe it was a lucky punch.

All I know is that I can do alot to help a person out by directing qi through my hands. And so it doesn't seem too far fetched for me to beleive that others know how to direct that energy in a far less constructive or harmonious manner.
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

This sounds like ninjitsu "psychic" attacks. The great master of ninjitsu Masaaki Hatsumi, claims to be able to do suching things a "Air throws", where one throws somebody without touching him. Or again the kali shouts and signs that can make you invisible, or stop anyone from hitting you in the back, or even paralyse your foe on the spot.

To me those psychic stuff are jsut propaganda started back in the samurai days to bring fear into the hearts of the samurai and common ppl.

Comment

now, they strike fear in the hearts of our wallets.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt if it was, ninja's were often know to use mystical abilities, or what appeared to be mystical abilities. But, no disrespect to him, I wouldn't want to be up against him on a fight even though I'm 250. If you trick him to throwing himself, what's the difference?

What I don't like is that people think these fights determine fighting ability in a self-defense situation. I think people forget, the importance of awareness. Also there are ways for a boxers to fake an attack. Also, i know a older man who has studied boxing, say that often in boxes can at times, in a real fight stop breathing. That can be very dangerous.
              http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

people think that, because as far as they're concerned, this is the closest thing we have to real fighting, and people make the very big mistake of equating fighting ability with self-defense skill. "fighting" is wrestling down one of your buddies that got a little too drunk, or having a contest of skill in a closed ring with rules. "self-defense" is smashing a beer bottle over a guy's head and then getting the hell out before him and his 6 other buddies get to you.

Comment

Another thing, it you hit certain areas of the body with less area, using the same force, wouldn't there be more force per area? Certain parts of the body, may cause some nasty things to happen.

Comment

Also, has anyone thought that perhaps some people in sparring may hold back as to not hurt their sparring partners? There are times when i've sparred when I've held back, i could have scored a point but viewed the chance of hurting someone not worth it.

Comment

Well for starters, as if it needs to be said, there's ALOT of things you don't do in sparring when you respect your opponents body. But many of these techniques are simple and effective against someone whos really trying to hurt you if you don't mind mildly crippling them.

Finger breaks are very easy to execute once your opponent has grabbed you by the wrist or any other part of your body. Finger breaks are remarkably effective methods of dissuading an attacker.

Standing joint locks can be very difficult to execute without tearing connective tissue when performed at the speed of a real fight or sparring match.

Then theres all those knee strikes which are available to you in almost any fight, but which noone uses when sparring with friends. Because, you get much more sparring experience when you're buddy can still walk after each match.

This is why sparring is not "no holds barred" fighting. And if I just may say so, boxing gloves suck ass. They suck major ass. They severely interfere with hand techniques and I think they are one of the worst things ever to happen to proffesional fighting.

You don't strike bone with fist. That's a duh uh of gongfu. Hit hard with soft, hit soft with hard. Never strike the head with a closed fist, use an open hand. If boxers could've figured that out, we may never have ended up with this silly giant gloved sparring system.

That being said, I still hold a 2-0 record with 0 KO's (rules stated no striking above the neck or below the belt, making KOs nigh impossible) in amateur dormitory study lounge boxing.
                      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing
                        This is why sparring is not "no holds barred" fighting. And if I just may say so, boxing gloves suck ass. They suck major ass. They severely interfere with hand techniques and I think they are one of the worst things ever to happen to proffesional fighting.
                        actually dao, a big part of the reason they were implemented was for the precise purposes of limiting hand techniques. granted, avoiding broken fingers was a big part of it, as well. but they were also implemented to help eliminate holds, throws and other "unsportsmanlike" conduct during pugilism events.

it just reflects a stark difference in philosophy between early english pugilism and oriental MA that such tactics were considered dishonorable. over time however, the boxing world forgot about how to respond to such dishonorable tactics, and thus were shocked at their own inefficacy when events like UFC came along.

Comment

Well, there is some good stuff in boxing, like distancing, dodging, etc. I wonder what would happened if you combined golden bell, with western conditioning methods of boxing.. Hmm... That stuff was implemented so people wouldnt' get hurt. Got to admit the ambulences were kind of primate in that time.

Another thing that makes me made. In a real fight are you going to stand toe to toe? Your not going to know if the guys unarmed or whether he's got a knife up his arm, or what have you. Someone probably going to grab a stick or something. Are you going to know the environment? Isn't the best thing to do is get out of there?

Personally, I don't know if I could go toe-to-toe with any of those guys. One thing too, is how would a wrestler come in at a oriental style martial artist? Wouldn't they leave themselves open to an attack?

Comment

Originally posted by agreenknight
                            Another thing that makes me made. In a real fight are you going to stand toe to toe? Your not going to know if the guys unarmed or whether he's got a knife up his arm, or what have you. Someone probably going to grab a stick or something. Are you going to know the environment? Isn't the best thing to do is get out of there?
                            yes.

Comment

If the the Shaolin players trained in empty hand combat, they would have the advantage in a stand up fight. When I say empty hand combat, I mean that you must have a skilled opponent coming at you at a good speed with power, and not just practicing forms and chi gung. In a UFC fight though, I would wager my life savings on a champion UFC fighter over any Shaolin fighting monk. I know that the Shaolin fighting monks train all day and subject their bodies to all sorts of persevering training, but effective groundfighting is essential to know in order to be effective in the UFC.

My post is in no way about what would work in a real fight, traditional or mixed martial arts. The original post talked about the UFC, which is a sport fight, and I am responding within the scope of the original post. As such, once a skilled standup fighter--with no groundfighting skills--falls to the ground, he is finished against a champion UFC fighter. (In the same token Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, and some of the greats in western boxing would fail to beat a champion UFC fighter¡Xin a UFC match.)

Comment

well "real life" has to be considered, because while UFC fighters train for UFC, shaolin gongfu practitioners (theoretically) train for real life. if you agree that there's a big difference between the two, then it would follow that it would be impossible for a UFC-based competition between shaolin fighters and UFC fighters to prove anything, because their fields of expertise would be different.

Comment

Working...
                                X