• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all factors
    (size, weight, training time, genetic make-up) being equal,
    I would bet my life savings on the person who trained against
    a skilled fighter 80% of time
    than a person who trained solo (chi kung and forms) 80% of the time.

Comment

you seem to want to bet your life savings a lot... i would recommend that you stay out of vegas.

Comment

Personally, I think there is a probablity anyone will get beat at one time or another.
        http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

Look up Cung Le on that youtube thingy you kids use all the time. He was trained by a Shaolin master (Shawn Liu aka Shi De Ru). He was taught, i think, 20 skillsets or something like that (Shuai Jiao mostly, I think...). Cung Le just started in MMA fights (some lesser known MMA circuit). He used to do mostly muay thai and sanshou. I think he will be an interesting fighter if he ever gets to fight people in the UFC/Pride/K-1 (again I think he was in K-1 but it was just a kickboxing match not MMA rules).
          "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Yeah, I've seen some of Cung Le's fights and he's friggins sweet. The main issue is, look at the posts at the beginning of this thread! Oh, how we've grown.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Shaolin... against pro MMA ... LOL

Man so many people here talk so much shit about Shaolin its crazy. Popular things like you know The REAL shaolin training in the mountains.. Ok have you been to China ? the only thing in the mountains is the military basses no Shaolin monks sorry.

I trained in Deng Feng for 6 months competed in the international Wushu bullshit Festival and so on. It was when i first came to Asia i was at my pinicle of being out of shape. I could spar all their Sanda students at this time and they could not hurt me at all. it was a joke , thei played the range game way to much come in quick and get out , with absolutely no power at all in their strikes it was like TKD and kickboxing mixed together.

So anyways ive been in Thailand for about 2 years now doing Muay Thai everyday. Im in top shape and im as ripped as bruce lee for my fights. If i were to go back to Deng Feng they couldnt even handle me yet alone names like George St Pierre and Fedor and so on.

My master in China would get them to hold their Sanda pads muay thai style instead of using just one arm as they do in Sanda and i would do one round kick (very poor technique at this point since i didnt goto thailand yet) and they Chinese boys would fall on there ass and me almost knocked out due to not seeing that type of force on a pad.

And i think you even mean the Talou students not even the Sanda students which is pathetic as the only thing they teach in Deng Feng is modernized Whushu because they want to take all the gold medals in the 2008 olympics and create a bunch of little Jet Li's.

Shaolin gong fu isnt used or trained in a manner to promote self defense , LET ALONE competition in the sport world. Get a grip on reality you fight how you train. These MMA guys pound the piss out of each other in full contact sparring and stick to the basics, Strike and Grapple no fancy shit. Shaolin students hold stupid postures like Mau Bu for 10 mins a day to make their legs strong. They hardly ever spar and when they do they use a shit load of equipment. Traditional Martial arts training will never beat modern day scientific training and sport fighting. Sports progress with the calibur of the athaletes as traditional training stays the same over thousands of years and require you to change your body to fit a style. Where as mdoern day fighting changes your style to suit what body you have. Its more effiecent in every means possible

And im allowed to talk this much shit because i lived in Deng Feng for 6 months and i live in Thailand now and compete in Muay Thai for the last 2 years. And i have my Senior Insturctor pappers under WMC.

Oh and want to know what else the "real" Shaolin monks are upto ? my master Shi Xing Ming raped a student from England in my School (Chan Wu Si)

Also when you turn your back at the ever popular Tourist trap of the shaolin temple with its fancy new gates for getting WHO acceptance. Every "Monk" has a cell phone and smokes cigarettes and know next to nothing about Chan Buddhism.

Comment

Where you been man? And where in Thailand are you living? I live in Phuket half the year, and also train occasionally in MT.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Currently im in Bangkok at the moment , i lived in Phuket next to Challong Bay for 6 months at one point tho. Also in Chaing Mai and Mae Hong Son. Ive spend most of my time in North Thailand.

As for China i stayed about 30 mins outside of Deng Feng in a village called Wang Shan or somthing funny at a school Called Chan Wu Si. It was a school made by 32nd Generation Shaolin Monk (shi xing ming) and his American Wife who did at least post on this board quite a bit. Her name is Laura Wang. I enjoyed China for the solitude and the minor ammounts of Chan Buddhism i practiced with some meditation. And i suspose it helped me gain some flexibilty for sure stretching 3 times a day. At one point i was in this brain washed mode of like yah i could stay in China for 8 years and do Shaolin. Then Chinese Wintr came which i roughed it out for a while Showering only once a week when i could get into Deng Feng to get some hot water on a our day off. So i was like im going to hit South Thailand for a few weeks after Christmas to escape the winter and i never came back. It was like my i was a real human again after i left China and not part of the big red shaolin machine :P

Im off to Brazil in a month or so to Train at Chute Boxe or Gracie Barra for 6 months at least. But i think in the next 2 weeks ill head upto Phuket and see what this Tiger MMA/Muay Thai school is like , before i go.

I havent posted here in ages but i got the email about the Shaolin teacher from China killing him self in America so that reminded me how corrupt China is. Then i happened to stumble on this post and i realized how many people still have a fake idea of what Shaolin Gong Fu is.

Comment

Good luck in Phuket. I'l be there in March. It's a difficult place to leave, and believe me, I understand your feelings about China.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

ufc and san shou

I have been dying to try ufc, and I have been bugging my shaolin teacher, master Lee for years, he has finally consented to start san shou classes with me as one of the teachers. I scoped out some mma and even though they don't possess alot of the cool turbocharged shaolin stuff, they are very fit and powerful and are a definite force to be reckoned with. I was posing as a beginner, but stopped because I was getting my ass kicked! I have alwayse wanted to test my full contact skills, and realize it is very hard to develope... I have upmost respect for the mma competitors now.

Comment

Originally posted by bonsaicat
                        I have been dying to try ufc,
                        Why?

Just curious. Personally, I don't see much of an art in it. I've been involved in many different martial arts, and when I watch UFC, I see it more in a physics light than anything else, LOL. The old Force equals mass times velocity equation. The bigger more powerful guys tend to win.

Watch Decheng in some of the videos on this site, and you may not see fighting prowess, but you'll see a true traditional art form, truly mastered and perfected with great skill. I think there's far more to that, than taking steroids, lifing weights, and battering people.

But, this is just my opinion as a non-fighter.

russbo.com

Comment

Probably because alot of people do martial arts for the martial part instead of the fancy art crap :P

Considering that their are weight classes in UFC the physics equation your using is ballanced and neither fighter has a clear advantage. As well the reason alot of it may seem like there is no art is because you must understand the art they are using to see the techniques used. Such as boxing/BJJ and muay thai. Then you must respect them for using that form of art in a pure combat situation that is unlike most other forms of sport fighting such as boxing and muay thai. One mistake in the Cage world and your knocked the **** out or choked out in a second. In muay thai and boxing you get hit or fall down and get a chance to stand back up again..

The art crap is cool when hot girls are around tho , bust out a nice 540 and back flip and splits and so on :P

Comment

artsy mma

You are of course right Doc, I guess I never get to practice good stuff on other people...like iron palm or good striking techs without pads. Those are the only muscleheads who will take my abuse and get up off the ground for more. Fortunately they don't know what someone like Master Lee could do, otherwise they wouldn't let me in their mma class, hehehe. I have great fun with them, but I admit it is harder then it looks to have such powerful moves. Of course the old masters did the same, but with finesse. I wish I could spar one of them, just on tape, in case I am knocked out too quick. I still want to do a match someday at the Portland Rose Garden before the rules get too much.

Comment

Doc, that's not entirely true. Have you watched the UFC lately? I'm fairly certain it's a clean sport, in terms of AAS. And it's very much a combat sport in which athletes comepete. Physics comes to play as always, but there are weight classes in which, although height and weight discrepancies exist, allows skill and athleticism to overcome the advantages physics gives.
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I agree with what you are saying, but I think we're approaching this from different directions. I really wasn't referring to the athleticisim or skill involved; I was referring to the reasoning behind the sport. If you're interested in learning a martial art so that you can pummel someone in the ring or on the street, than I totally agree with you. If you're interested in the martial art for physical, mental and spiritual improvement, then I don't see much benefit to the UFC type arts. That's why I said that I don't see much "art" in the UFC stuff. It's a matter of interpretation.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X