Chun-generation names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chun-generation names

I'm looking for info on Chun-generation names, if someone has a list of them. I'm looking for the chinese buddhist name of my shifu's master. I'm currently only knowledgeable of his vietnamese monk name, which was Hue Tam. Tam meaning the same as Chun in chinese and Hue meaning "flower". So his name could be Shi Chun Hua, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if he took a new name for himself after founding a temple in Vietnam, but it baffles me because his name is always written with the flower in front of the Tam. I'm also unsure of whether it's even possible for a buddhist monk to abandon the name given to him and take a new one.

I looked at the list of the south court names provided in here, but it atleast didn't show a name that would be matching.

Some background info: To my knowledge he was born in the province of Henan. He entered the temple at the age of 6 in 1908. He left Shaolin a few years after the burning of '28 (around 30/31) and went to Hong Kong. He had to flee from Hong Kong and he later arrived to Vietnam via Singapore. He lived in Vietnam for a while as a layman but got bored with it and set up a monastery, Hai Duong Thieu Lam Tu in southern Vietnam, near the border of Cambodia and the city of Chau Doc. His vietnamese name was Trieu Truc Khai. That I believe is a "vietnamisized" version of his chinese name. If that be the case, his familyname (in mandarin) would most probably be Zhao.

Groat

A small edit here:

I just read from the thread Da Mo Yuan and it offered me greater insight on the matter of Shaolin families. With the site offering the whole Cao Dong lineage (or so I presumed), it's quite safe to assume that he didn't belong to that family. This on the other hand makes my whole post quite obsolete.

If someone has names of monks from that era, it would be still a nice thing to look at them.
    Last edited by Groat; 12-19-2003, 10:18 AM.

Well, it would be helpful to know what the diacritics are on the Vietnamese words and then I might be able to help. I can speak and understand a little (very very little) Vietnamese. Hue if it has the hat on top and the dot on the bottom of the 'e' may infact mean wisdom not flower, as far as I was concerned (and I may be wrong) Hoa was the Vietnamese word for flower. And if Tam has the little hat on top of the 'a' then it would mean Heart.

From the information that you have mentioned about his life, it seems kind of funny to me. I used to be a monk in the Vietnamese tradition. And have met many elder Vietnamese venerables and heard of even more. Perhaps more information would be nice and we can sort this whole thing out. if your master did enter the temple 6 in 1908 then that would make him over a hundred years old now. So perhaps you can let us know more info.

peace
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

there is no Chun generation You mean wing chun?

Comment

Originally posted by Fa Hui
        Well, it would be helpful to know what the diacritics are on the Vietnamese words and then I might be able to help. I can speak and understand a little (very very little) Vietnamese. Hue if it has the hat on top and the dot on the bottom of the 'e' may infact mean wisdom not flower, as far as I was concerned (and I may be wrong) Hoa was the Vietnamese word for flower. And if Tam has the little hat on top of the 'a' then it would mean Heart.

From the information that you have mentioned about his life, it seems kind of funny to me. I used to be a monk in the Vietnamese tradition. And have met many elder Vietnamese venerables and heard of even more. Perhaps more information would be nice and we can sort this whole thing out. if your master did enter the temple 6 in 1908 then that would make him over a hundred years old now. So perhaps you can let us know more info.

peace
        Perhaps I was a bit unclear in my post. I'll try it again. *grins*

Firstly, it's my master's master whom I am speaking of, and he is dead already. He died in 1985. Hopefully that clears some things up *grins*. I myself don't speak vietnamese, but my master (who is vietnamese) told that the tam indeed means heart, but with a more deeper meaning of honest and such. The word Hue I believe is the same as the word hue in the city Hue (not 100% positive). Most likely though, the Wisdom and Heart would make a lot lot more sense, that's quite how I have visualized him to be from the stories my master has told me. In my master's gong fu certificate, his name is written as Hue Tam Trieu Truc Khai and in there the Hue Tam is written with different colour. In other part of the certifacate it is Phuong Truong Trieu Truc Khai, phuong truong I believe means abbot.

About his characteristics, there are very few things I know about him. First is, that he was a very very very strict teacher, with gong fu and with buddhism. Second thing I know, is that he challenged quite many masters during his time in Hong Kong, and probably some in Singapore aswell. During the time my master was in the temple, Trieu Truc Khai, when not teaching buddhism nor gong fu, was always reciting some sutra in the front of a big buddha. One hazy legend also says, that he knew the flying arts *winks*.

I have yet to met anyone who has either heard, or had some sort of knowledge of him, even second or third hand hear-say. I'm just in search of that knowledge hear and his chinese name could provide me with some more knowledge. I don't like bugging my master about him, he although has told me everything he remembers, but his memory is...well, a lot worse than his gong fu.

I believe there are a few more temples in Vietnam that practise Shao lin gong fu, one atleast near Hue (which is the largest, I believe my master's temple is the second largest), oddly enough, there is just zero info available on ANY of these temples anywhere where I have looked. Since you were a monk of the Vietnamese tradition, maybe you have info on the situation current of these other temples, I'm a very curious person. *snickers*

Thank you for your reply, it was very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X