No announcement yet.

Book Review: The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine, when I asked him about the book (about two days ago), he said, "I first I thought it was very, very good, but after I got into Shaolin and Chan more, I still thought it was good; for kindeling."
    practice wu de

Comment

didn't he kind of slam Hui Neng a little, by sort of refusing to allow how he reached enlightenment to be a Ch'an method...

I kind of remember him being very "A" not "A".
      "Arhat, I am your father..."
      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

From what I remember, he just really needed to read the Sutra again and not try to analyze but let it sit with him as he practiced. And this is important for all of us, if you really want to understand something don't try so hard to understand it. Let it just be with you throughout your daily life and the real understanding will come from there.

When I was a monk this is how I would do it. I used to try to understand something, and I could do it intellectually but there was no depth to it. I never wanted to just regurgitate something that I read but wanted to understand it with my whole being. I think this has been the greatest help to my daily practice (which is the most important) then any studying has been.
        "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

I would say that is very good advice.
          "Arhat, I am your father..."
          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Could ever one drop this? I mean there has been enough stuff on this book already. Enough focusing on the negative alright?

By the way I was JOKING on the DBZ, and yoshi muchi detector. Sheesh can't a guy have a little fun anyway. Why do you have to be so serious man.
            "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Originally posted by Fa Hui
              From what I remember, he just really needed to read the Sutra again and not try to analyze but let it sit with him as he practiced. And this is important for all of us, if you really want to understand something don't try so hard to understand it. Let it just be with you throughout your daily life and the real understanding will come from there.

When I was a monk this is how I would do it. I used to try to understand something, and I could do it intellectually but there was no depth to it. I never wanted to just regurgitate something that I read but wanted to understand it with my whole being. I think this has been the greatest help to my daily practice (which is the most important) then any studying has been.

I'd have to say that is one of the clearest itterations of that thought I have read in a long time...
              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
              X