according to the bible, i hear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• according to the bible, i hear...

to all you christians, ihear that the bible says that all religions besides christianity are witchcraft. even martial ars atre supposedly "crafts of the witch."

this includes buddhism doesnt it
    ?

taoism and all that stuff too. but if you think about it, taoism does have some supernatural practices so i hear, but to me i dont see it anymore ritualistic then the obtaining of the pentacostal holy ghost. running around and stuf like that.

isnt the field of view too large to maintain a spiritual state of tunnel vision? or does your religion tell you otherwise?
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Well, I'm partly a Christian, and partly a Buddhist, and mostly an agnostic. And I've studied quite a bit in these "ideas". I've never heard of the bible refering to other religions as witchcraft.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

The only reference I can find to "witchcraft" in the bible, has to do with a reference to the Assyrians. The reference makes no mention of the Assyrian's religion.

When the Assyrian invades our land
      and marches through our fortresses,
      we will raise against him seven shepherds,
      even eight leaders of men.

6 They will rule [e] the land of Assyria with the sword,
      the land of Nimrod with drawn sword. [f]
      He will deliver us from the Assyrian
      when he invades our land
      and marches into our borders.

7 The remnant of Jacob will be
      in the midst of many peoples
      like dew from the LORD,
      like showers on the grass,
      which do not wait for man
      or linger for mankind.

8 The remnant of Jacob will be among the nations,
      in the midst of many peoples,
      like a lion among the beasts of the forest,
      like a young lion among flocks of sheep,
      which mauls and mangles as it goes,
      and no one can rescue.

9 Your hand will be lifted up in triumph over your enemies,
      and all your foes will be destroyed.

10 "In that day," declares the LORD,
      "I will destroy your horses from among you
      and demolish your chariots.

11 I will destroy the cities of your land
      and tear down all your strongholds.

12 I will destroy your witchcraft
      and you will no longer cast spells.

13 I will destroy your carved images
      and your sacred stones from among you;
      you will no longer bow down
      to the work of your hands.

14 I will uproot from among you your Asherah poles [g]
      and demolish your cities.

15 I will take vengeance in anger and wrath
      upon the nations that have not obeyed me."
      Martial arts are not referenced in the bible.

God. You people have me looking in the bible. Damn world is going to come to an end.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

King James Version: There shall not be found among you anyone ....that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. deuteronomy 18 10-11

divination? i ching is a form of divination

These verses would seem to prohibit a number of modern day activities:
        Harming or killing people through the use of: evil sorcery intended to harm others.knot magic (tying and untying knots while cursing someone).Engaging in methods of foretelling the future by studying nature (e.g. whether the winter will be unusually cold by studying the size of caterpillars or whether spring will be delayed by studying the actions of a groundhog).casting sticks (e.g. I Ching or perhaps runes).astrology.Raising ghosts or spirits through the use of spiritism (a.k.a. spiritualism) by a medium.Channeling; this is a New Age practice in which a spirit speaks through a person.Snake charming.
        I shouldnt have referred to it as witchcraft, but moreso, as the bible states it, "rebellion" rebellion is the practice of any form of religion besides christianity.

When we start relying on technique and not God, then we are flirting with witchcraft. Miracles may be done, supernatural power may come into play. But if the soul doing these works is not yielded to God's will, then it is an act of rebellion. The witch in all of us wants God "on a leash". God must perform a trick for us when we jerk His chain. Like Satan, we twist Scripture: "But doesn't God say...?" (Matthew 4:5-6, Genesis 3:1)
        sounds to me like just another form of governing control.
        Last edited by master splinter; 02-15-2006, 03:58 PM.
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Dude, according to the Bible, there's nothing wrong with owning slaves and destroying entire cities because they're filled with gay people is the act of a loving God. I wouldn't stress out if it says you're a heathen.

Comment

Most peeps don't realize this but I went to Xaverian cathooic High. lollo

Most peeps don't realize this but there are 2 ways to interpret the bible literally and sysmbolically.

I opt for symbolically. Example. I don't believe Adam and Eve REALLY existed. It is a story to compare with our own lives. Living in paradise could just mean having a great life. The apple could be your neiborhs hot wife who you opt to bang. Then the husband(who might be your best friend) finds out and your whole life is in ruins over it and that intial great existance could never be brought back.

Comment

No offense, but I think most people realize that.

Comment

so i take it that you guys are agnostic as well?

The only thing that keeps me in FEAR (a tactic seen many times in the bible) or betraying god (okay so i was raised a christian) is the act that i have prayed before, you know, havent you ever fallen on your knees and cryed out to god? no? oh, okay anyway... have any of your prayers been answered? or have you ever felt that god reveals things to you?

i remember one day i prayed to know the truth, i have always had my doubts and i wanted to know the real deal about what i should believe in and what i shouldnt believe in, since i dont take well to manipulation, and church, religion and all of the above pretty much to me just seemed like elaborate forms of control. oh the burden of preservation.

so what im saying is, have my prayers been answered? i am discovering life at a rapid pace, and i am learning things that i could have never imagined, about the world, about me, about everything. but what i am learning is almost contradictory to what i have been raised with.

in my life i have come to believe that:

there is no heaven or afterlife, there is a god, which can be manifested in man therefore, god is an ideal state of mind (sounding crazy yet?), love is a preserving force which keeps man going. Is there anymore to it then that? what do you think?

i think that we are in chaos, the universe is a fluctuating mess, and we are just along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by mortal
                  Most peeps don't realize this but I went to Xaverian cathooic High. lollo.
                  So did I. Good lord, don't tell anyone. I've turned into a very bad christian. Most definitely an embarassment to the old alma mater.

And Splinter, don't you think you're "extending the limits' with respect to your bible interpretations?

russbo.com

Comment

not at all.

why would i? the bible is there, anyone can interpret it in any way. What i am saying is, i dont agree with the bible, therefore, why should i be a christian? or how about this.

What keeps you believing in your faith? since we all know that faith is a blind leap.

the consequences of the vague nature of the bible come into play, and im saying this;

i have heard many times by many christians that martial arts are a form of witchcraft.

Now whether oro ot this is true is irrelevent, my point is, is that if your religion has to, and/or can, control your mind, then what sort of control do you have over yourself?

Comment

I could be called agnostic or atheist, depending on how we feel like defining the words. I don't believe there's a God, so I'm atheist. But I don't deny the possibility that there is one, and I admit I don't really know one way or the other, so I'm agnostic. Usually I call myself atheist because that seems to better convey my objection to metaphysical thinking.

Basically I find the whole question of God a somewhat silly one since there was never any evidence to raise the question, and no amount of evidence can answer it. To me, the practice of asking questions that can never be answered is called High Philosophy, that is, intellectual masturbation. But that's just me.

Comment

WoW Doc! Did they throw you out for fighting and failing after your first year too?!? I was smart enough to go there I just couldn't fit in with the snobs. Theses fags used to pic on freshmen and I used to punch them. The teachers thought I was wrong. olol Go figure.

Comment

I don't think you are really understanding what religion is about. It doesn't try to control your thought and actions. It wants you to control them on your own for you own well being and peace of mind. Just like buddhism in many ways. It sounds to me like your looking at religion through liberal website glasses. To be honest I am not religous. But if people need a vengful God in the sky to keeo them in line what is so bad about that?

Comment

Religion doesn't want anything at all. Religious people want all sorts of things, some more innocent than others.

Comment

i have heard many times by many christians that martial arts are a form of witchcraft.
                              The problem is not with the religion. The problem is, with the "christians" that you are talking to.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X