Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yi Jin Jing

Couple days back, I ordered this product:

Now, since the pictures and descriptions were small, I didn't know what would actually be on it. When I got it, however, the pictures and captions seemed to teach a 91 position qi-gong like sequence. My question is, what is Yi Jin Jing. I know I know, I should have found out before buying it. Anyway, I've heard from some ppl and some sites and I had the impression that Yi Jin Jing were static Shaolin stretches. People were referring to the "49 Yi Jin Jing" Positions. So if anyone could clear that up, I'd be much obliged.

It's a Qi Gong excersize. Not just some external excersize. Though it is a bit of a workout for your body as you hold positions. But you also combine it with breath control and focussing on Qi, or internal energy. If you know anything about Qi Gong. That's what it is. A Qi Gong excersize. Though this one is a bit harder than other soft excersizes. It is meant to strengthen muscles and tendons at the same time creating a Qi flow in your body. A lot of healing aspects to it. There are positions where you hold your arms out for a count of ten breaths. Or tensesing muscles. And even a finger tip push-up/stretch kind of thing. And at the end it has a little stretching. You can read up on it online and find out more. But basically that's what it is.

A mi tuo Fo
    -Xing Jian

Comment

The Yi Jin Jing set is the main power development exercise for Shaolin. It's also part of the whole Yi Yin Jing procedure, which includes Iron Shirt training.

Comment

I learned it on one of my recent trips to Shaolin, I think, last year. Interesting, because the movements coincide with the acupuncture meridians. It can be tough to do because of the positions held. Personally, I got bored doing it.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

what does it mean that the movements coincide with the acupuncture meridians?

Comment

It's a really good exercise. It's supposed to help strengthen the body and allow the energy channels to open. There are some claims that it also helps you lose weight, but I'm not so sure about that.

It translates Muscle/Tendon Change Classic, and it is the Shaolin version although there are other versions of the Muscle/tendon change, because it is more genre of qigong practice than it is a specific exercise.

I will talk more about this but I have a bowl of chili waiting for me....
            "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

One of the earlier post said there were 91 postures. I've heard there are 10, 12, or 49. Which is correct? How long do you hold each position? Is is basically high muscle tension?
              Thanks

Comment

Depends on who teaches it.. with all things Shaolin, don't get too hung up on versions and correct.. it's all correct, but yet none of it is.. It's a Chan thing.
                practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                X