Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muscles and strenght for fighting efficiency(not for sowing off on the beach!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
    Women have been fighting wars ( because they had to or die when it visited their homes and towns ) during fuedal China for thousands of yrs. They used gongfu to do it, they fought against the various armies etc who were bigger because they actually got fed , and alot of them ( and women all over the Asias in the same era ) btw were reknowned for their martial prowesses ....... haven't you seen HERO!!! ?????
    This is just plain old silly. If you are going to cite ancient Chinese history, you gotta do better than a movie made in the 21st century.

On top of that. I'm tiny myself okay. nbearly everyone I meet is bigger than I am ( except the skinny flimsy chicks you either want to feed or hug or counsel or something ) and I am still looking for the competition. I know that sounds arrogant , but I loooove sparring the bigger boys! It's good to know how best to do that and how to practice balance to absorb what they deliver ( if I don't beat them to a defence - which very quietly doesn't really happen much ) which I put down to qi gong training and satori honing ......... as in testing how these bigger players play and how fast they're likely to try to do it.
    Good. Seriously. You are doing exactly what everyone should - training with people and seeing if your advantages can counter their advantages.

I have no idea how you achieve the results you experienced. It doesn't matter. You know how you got them and know how to maintain them.

I also spoke to some boys running a world title event ( dojoko international combat world title ) about competiting myself, but apparently only two or three women of all the nations even put their hands up......... I also spoke to him about cross - gender fights ( and yaah .the trannies can play too ) , but apparently no -one's ever raised it before and in Melbourne Victoria , Aust
    Good luck. Women fighting each other and women fighting men is too much for some small minds to absorb.

I'm sure it will happen sometime, but in who's lifetime I don't know.

BTW, my comments about being satisfied with your rom were meant in a general sense. They were not directed at you, btl.

I'm anxiously waiting for your analysis of me - conducted thru thousands of miles, over an ocean and solely from what I've written on this forum

Mark
    Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

I've been competing in the US off and on for years. When there are no women in my division for me to spar, I've been offered the chance to spar with the men at my weight class and experience level. This has happened only twice in the past 10 years as there is usually a woman in my division for me to fight.

Throughout my training I've always sparred against men, in some schools I didn't have any other girls to spar with.

Consider the 4/40 rule: an opponent of generally equal skill who is 4 inches taller and/or 40lbs heavier has a size advantage and is going to be more challenging --- most especially on the ground. Doesn't mean you're always going to get beat, but it does become a different fight for you.

At BL's size, this is probably a constant consideration for her and she's adjusted her general approach to suit.
      Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

in answer to your question DDJ: practice.

Comment

"im sure alexander the great, ghengis khan, napolean and caesar all had their women right in the front lines, along with the short ass skinny muther ****ers, im sure they were a ferocious sight to behold"

"haven't you seen HERO!!! ?????"

Ultra LOL
          The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

.................................................. ................................................** ** it
            Last edited by flow; 07-06-2005, 06:28 PM.
            The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

mmmhhhmmm

back to the english programme though ( ), I had another look at this last night ( whilst considering what about my conditioning was so martially crucial ) and I think that what it comes down to is more a matter of maintaining density and fine muscluature familiarity , so much as it is actual mass or size.
              I know that personally I begin to loose confidence in my abilty to execute my skill and often get pretty toey pretty quickly , the minute I let this go more than I do with any other facet.
              I also think it lays with the fact that 9 and particularly for me ) that the body needs to be hard enough to ( with the right techs and angels etc ) be able to absorb at least "x" % of the force of a strike (just in case you're timing's out for whatever reason your mind's off duty , and you end up 1 or 3 or 3 cm out from where you like to catch it on a clean block ) and respectively be hard enough to effect and deliver a nice hard sharp weapon or again used enough to keep fresh in your mind the more fine musculature flow and connection sequence the blow or absorbtion needs to flow through in ratio to the jing neccess to negate or disperse ( ?) what's received.
              This is a very recent personal ( ) "genius insight" of mine regarding this and looking back on recent circuit results , given the women's comp circuit options for any decent title shot I currently have any sooner than 1-3 yrs or possibley something half as*ed in Europe or Thailand , I'm quite struggling with reasons to or not continue training like the lunatic ( many of you are also familar with from your own blissfully committed crazy efforts and ) I've previously had perfect rational reason to so I've really been looking at this whole regime quite closely for what can and can't potentially go and still leave me competant ...............

Considering alot of you boys have never even been small at all let alone competitive at te time , you might want to take note on this.!!!

cheers

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Flow - I actually preparred this reply last nigt , and lo and behold you go and reconfirm my thoughts on you........

any way ........ you're obviously young and therefor more forgivable so I have something for you..................read this ..........

Flow - your recent ignorance to ima and arrogance in general has lately caught my attention. Last night as I was workingmy abs , when I got to my lateral oblique stack work , having worked them so hard recently, I felt like I'd been bashed bout and had to stop for some bone alignment and posture correction exercises.
                So........ I got an 85 ish kg mle friend of mine to walk ( side step up my spine as high as poss and starting from as low as poss ) ( and this the imoprtant bit btw .....so continue ) while I relaxed my chest bracing down through my abs with some qigong breathing and drawing my ribs together , using the weight on top of me to get them tighter together ( as in getting my "shirt " on ...........iron shirt .......... )
                only this and certain stretch or callesthenics sequences correct this fand ohther qwirky little bone and muscle knots for me and I also realised that this is something I have been doing for yrs and yrs ...........
                For at least the last many , the majority of the ppl walking on my back have been adult men weighing 100 + kgs ................

THIS IS POTENTIALLY EXTREMELY DANGEROUS BTW if you don'tunderstabd what you're doing and particularly twd the inner edges of your spine ( where your central nerve column runs and progressively acculmulates ... ) hence the flat tight drawn together rib and the loose flat chest / empty lung .

I can assure you that this is a huge part of how I have come to learn to deal with bigger players and predict what sort of tension I need to brace with and respective alignment in defence plays against them.
                Obviously it requires a little adjustment to do it standing but the idea is the same. The stored energy gets filtered down and simulatenously to the intake of new breath causing the bottom to loose tension you need to continually tauqe the top and so you are building both power / strength and protective capacity through the region.

This is what I believe one of my greatest strengths and key both my crazy core strength and my spine health , shoulder joint health and alignment ( delt / bi via pushup workout comfort allowing me to pull the higher reppred sets off so breazily and respectively deliver martially the benifits of doing so ). If you do decide to try this type of conditioning yourself.......... I highly recommend starting with a much lighter and young child. Once you get onto that , try some pushups with them on your back while they're there!

Try to keep your sets to 3 x no more than 6 reps ( and particularly as they get heavier ) and enjoy what it happens to your body and what you discover more about what happens in it and how it all works. Until you do, ( as in actually have some experience enough to talk with you on ) I guess if there's nothing else , the discussion is over ..........

cheers , be grateful and don't say I neve did anything nice!!!

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
                  Flow - your recent ignorance to ima and arrogance in general has lately caught my attention.
                  This strikes me as rather unfair. Flow's comments on this thread haven't struck me as arrogant. Unless whatever he said in French was really bad.

Also, I think skepticism is a healthy thing ESPECIALLY when it comes to any MA - internal, external, striking, grappling.

Since you mentioned IMA, its fair to note there are a HUGE number of frauds out there misrepresenting IMA to gullible/hopeful people. Any distrust of IMA stems from the "delayed death touch - chi blast projecting - cure your disease with ki - indestructible body" charlatans fleecing people.

Mark
                  Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

Hey BL, what is your experience with the IMAs, more specific, chinese internal martial arts?
                    practice wu de

Comment

what a mess...okay your question is about efficiency? well what kind of efficiency? do you want to be able to lift and carry 300 pound bags of cement up a flight of stairs? or do you want to be able to throw loose explosive strikes?

during my time and experience in the whole martial arts training field, there are many types of power... and not all of that power comes from muscle, but rather coordination of the body and mind, focus, looseness, and controlling your breath.

i train with different types of strength training techniques such as stance training, tai chi, static handstands, high jumps, long jumps, all types of pushups and squats, certain shaolin exercises(the ones that i know and these are freakin AWESOME!) bag training, etc.

i found that stance training cannot be overlooked in developing power and a strong foundation since all movement begins from the bottom up, tai chi will help with focus and body concentration(aswellasotherthings) ex. hitting a punching bag and not jamming bending or hurting your wrist, it also helps with creating a more relaxed body to strike from, the most powerful strikes come from a loose body, not a tense one.

there are certain places that must remain limber, certain areas in the shoulder for punching and strikes, and certain areas in the waist for kicks and twisting circular strikes,

beware overdeveloping muscles that impede the range of motion of your arms and legs, for the range of motion is what produces speed and power, but if you combine regular striking training, this will help prevent overdevelopment of the muscles that provide power in looseness.

here is a fun training method that i came up with to develop a good,deceptively powerful lead punch, ever see muhammad ali fight?

find a bush or tree with large leaves, or hang a sheet of paper, now without slicing, draging your finger down or across it, try to poke a hole in the leaf or paper. hard isnt it?
                      for this you must mimic a loose aligned explosion. i developed this technique while training with a spear, and im nowhere near mastery, but i believe that this is the concept in a good lead punch.

also work on imagining your weight as a ball bouncing around in your body, any tense ness will freeze this ball in your body, the only time you should tense is exactly if not a nanosecond after contact, your strike should resemble a coiled springs release.

chi is real...
                      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Again, we can safely conclude that you want to work all your body in general. You want to do your fight training as usual (ie Splinter's drills), but again, you don't want to be so big that you can't touch the top of your head. Like Mr. T.
                        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with muscle mass in general. It is really hard to get as big as you guys are talking, in fact, for some, it is a full time job. Now, good dynamics involves two things, mechanics and power, you can't do shit with just one really. As good of a puncher a 110 lb person might be, a 155 lb person only needs ~70% of the mechanics to hit about the same. Of course this does not include strategy, which is a lot, but from a pure striking standpoint dynamics are dynamics.
                          practice wu de

Comment

You're right about the difference in ratio, but the full-time job part?

Mr. T was part of the A-Team, AND had his own shitty cartoon. I'd say Mr. T is a complete natural. Because think about it. The A-Team was always on call, so maybe Mr. T could work out in between then, but it takes a lot of chi to turn yourself into a cartoon. He probably didn't have the energy to work out everyday for 12 hours. Therefore, Mr. T is a natural.

Comment

Mr. T wasn't that big..
                              practice wu de

Comment

Lol, well I've been told that's why he had his mohawk-- he couldn't touch the top of his head. Yes, I am aware that he could have gone to a barber, but let's just humor ourselves and say he was too big.

Comment

Working...
                                X