Shaolin basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin basics

Hey. I wonder if any of you know if there's a document/paper available for download/printing which shows the 18 basic Shaolin kicks/stances? Preferably with both Mandarin and English vocabulary. I thought it would be nice to have so I'm a bit prepared for new classes.

Thanks

EDIT: Nvm, http://www.russbo.com/Shaolin/shaolin-stances.html
    Last edited by Ub1476; 01-27-2009, 05:36 PM.

I'll have more of that stuff up in the next month or two. Shi De Cheng is coming to Thailand to spend some time with me; I'll see if I can get some "footage" for you guys.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Cool. May i ask if Master De Cheng can help me with my insect problem, that would be so kind of him.

Respects from Ry Hong

Comment

Looking forward too that. If you could write some text (like Basics: Ma bu = Horce stance) etc (instead of just pictures), that would be cool.

So on Tuesday only me and another (new) student was present. The Shifu gave a small speach about Qi, mostly just saying that we have energy flowing in our body and we need to express it (powah, powah, powah). He asked about our age, 15 and 10, and said we were to young to learn. Is that right, or does one just require more kung fu practice?

Also what's the difference between kung fu and gong fu?

Comment

I think that what he said about you being too young is horse shit. It's just that most teachers lack the patience and/or creativity to teach qi concepts to young people. It does, however, require direct experience to develop an understanding of it.

But I wouldn't press him...just take advantage that your class is very small.

Show him that you are able to learn by applying what he teaches rather than claiming to already know it. That is a huge step a student takes in any discipline. Have you ever heard of the tea cup story?

Comment

Nope, please tell.

Comment

Well, theres a million and one ways of telling this story but here's one way of telling it:

There's two girls and a cup...

Just kidding,

A university professor went to visit a famous Zen master. While the master quietly served tea, the professor talked about Zen. The master poured the visitor's cup to the brim, and then kept pouring. The professor watched the overflowing cup until he could no longer restrain himself. "It's overfull! No more will go in!" the professor blurted. "You are like this cup," the master replied, "How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup."

from:http://www-usr.rider.edu/~suler/zenstory/emptycup.html

Comment

u can start training from 4 or 5 years old, and who knows what kids are really capable of, ive been around alot of kids and they always impress me.

i know when i first started training as a kid i was capable of alot, and readily absorbed things i still remember instinctively today, so thats my experience.

qi gong styles vary, and there are plenty of people out there that will try and scam you, so be careful.
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108 View Post
                  Well, theres a million and one ways of telling this story but here's one way of telling it:

There's two girls and a cup...

Just kidding,
                  lol.. he's definitely too young for that. heck, i'm too young for that.. or whatever it requires, i definitely lack it. and i've only seen the various "first reaction" videos on youtube.

Originally posted by Ub1476
                  Also what's the difference between kung fu and gong fu?
                  kung-fu is the spelling under the wade giles romanization system for mandarin chinese.

gōngfu is the spelling under hanyu pinyin- the standard romanization system.

both are spellings for 功夫 and are pronounced exactly the same, since they represent the same characters.

in the wade giles system the letter k is pronounce as a "g", unless it has an apostrophe after it, as in k'ung. which would be "kong" in standard hanyu pinyin, pronounced with a "k".

and the letter u is pronounced as a long "o".

dont ask me why.. its a brainless system.

Comment

He's too young to train with doc...

But he's not too young to train in gong fu.

LOL...
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                    russbo.com

Comment

No one's too young to train with Doc. But some people might be too young to get caught with him

Comment

Maybe everyone has seen this already, but towards the end of this video clip, you can see Master Deyang demonstrate a few of the basic stances.

Comment

that video was hot as hell, its to bad it isnt on youtube

thx for posting it!! and yeh, he goes through the stances
                          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

it was on youtube, but the poster got his account banned.

its from a set of three vcds showing some of the material from master deyang and his school.

it can be bought here, as the one called "demonstration".
                            or it can be downloaded from any file sharing program.

take your pick.

he doesnt get anything from the instructional videos he did with that company. so he says copy them and share them.

Comment

LFJ, thanks for the info. I just bought the DVD's from Yes Asia.

I wish proceeds of these videos could somehow go to Master Deyang.

Comment

Working...
                              X