Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I find a good, simple liveing, Shaoling school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find a good, simple liveing, Shaoling school?

Hi, first post here.

I've been looking around the web for Shaolin schools/academies in China, but my results are mostly zero. I know of the Shaolin Monastery of course, but it appears to me (from what I've been reading), that most of it is tourist, money and showoff.

I don't know much about the material arts or Shaolin. Mostly just what I've snapped up the last week. My main desire is to live simple, peacefully, train, find myself, away from society, you name it. Please, no wiseguy come and say that what I'm thinking of is way off.

So, I got a job. I had it since I was 13, and now I'm 15. I earn about 15.000$ a year, and suppose it could be of good use. I'm planning to leaving as soon I reach age of majority (and get my eyes fixed so I don't have to use contact lenses), which is 18 here in Norway (yes, that's were I live).

Obviously I'm no special fan of the material arts. However, I do love training and Shaolin seems to fit perfect for what I like to do. I don't think I will attend to a club here, mostly because of slow progress, money (for what it's worth), and time. I'm doing some climbing and running + stretching everyday of course.

I've read that the traditional Shaolin is lost. Most of the "monks" are false monks, and many academies train Wushu instead of trad. (k)Gung Fu. I'm wondering what "false monks" really are. Are they good teachers, trustworthy and so on? Or are they only greedy, bald, Chinese men? Also what does Wushu include? I've read that it's a rip-off of Shaolin/Kung Fu and it's biased towards the common guy who wants to learn some kicks.

An ideal situation for me would be to learn Qi/Chi Kung (much meditating I suppose), and the training, Kung Fu. Short nights and long mornings. And with much nature around me, no opportunity to use a laptop/tv and common devices like that (maybe a book).

I've also read those some "false academies" only train for 4 hours a day, while the true academies train for 8. Is this true? Does the 8 hours include meditation and such, or only pure training?

Since I was 9 I've had SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), so sunlight is very important to me. I can go on for about 2 months without it, but after that I loose energy, motivation and so. I wonder if you guys who has been a bit in China, could tell me about the weather and climate? I know Asia can have some pretty heavy raining sessions, and usually it isn't much sun out then, but that's might just be the case in ice, cold Norway. In Norway, I have SAD symptoms from late October till April/May/June.

I'm planning on learning some Mandarin soon. We'll see how much I can get out of it on my own though..

Alright, hope the post wasn't too long (and I didn't miss something), and the questions wasn't too dumb. Thanks for all future help!

Welcome to the madness. We always like people from Norway.

My first and only recommendation at this time: Go to school.

Shaolin and the martial arts should be an addition to your life. It should not be your life.

Second, I would be more than happy to help you find a school in China to train in. When you're 18. I just had a disaster with some young girl, who had her parent's permission, over in China. And she was 20. No one here is going to help or encourage a minor to travel to China without some serious evidence of parent's permission. And even then, I won't allow it. I'm not exposing people to undue legal and ethical difficulties.

Appreciate your desire to learn these martial arts. Read the site here. Get an education for yourself. You have your whole life to learn gong fu.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Well, I'm only planning, since the years can go by quick. Even though I would love to go to China when I'm 16, I know that would be madness. I think staying "alone" in a foreign country for a while is tough for everyone, no matter age. Anyway, I said I would get my eyes fixed (laser operated), right? I don't think I can do that before I'm 18..

I'm trying to read your site, but my account apparently is blocked..

Comment

Your account is not blocked.

I'm having trouble with the virtual private server and the mysql server. It's in the process of being fixed. And, soon, upgraded. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Careful with the eye surgery at your age. Different thread. Different discussion.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

As far as the weather is concerned in Shaolin there is no real rainy season, so you can find sun trough the year.

It might be different in Yunnan, where you have rains mostly in June, but it does not last long.

If you want a gongfu buddhist temple, you can try Wuwei Si in Dali, Yunnan. It is pretty cheap and traditional there.

I ve also heard that Fawang Si in Shaolin is pretty traditional. It is shaolin secular disciple union, you can search that on the net.

And from my point of view if you are looking for a gonfu master better find a vegetarian one. Such is the case in Wuwei Si

Good luck

Comment

I found some info about the Wu Wei temple in Dali. From the pictures I've seen, it's looks very nice. This is the website with most criticism though:

I could barely find any info about Fawang. Only this:

Found this about the Shaolin temple too:

the so called monks put a demo on for me and about 10 other people that where there, much like the travelling monks that are putting on shows around the world. it is wushu nothing more nothing less, and the iron palm monks that breaks the bricks, the bricks where very poor because i went behind the temple where the bricks were keeped that they use for the show and i picked it and punched it in half it was like sand.
            What I learned is that they use their Qi to achieve superb power in part of their body, but with this it looks like they don't train it much?

So Wushu pops up everywhere. What's the difference between Wushu and Kung Fu? What's Wuhsu missing which Kung Fu has (please no "no big difference, don't worry")?

Comment

There is information on "Faweng", or, Da Fa Weng Si, here in the Shaolin Gong Fu schools section (look for Shi Heng Jun)

russbo.com

Comment

I think it is Fa Wang not Fa Weng. Fa Wang means king of law if i m correct.

Comment

I'm from New York.

Give me a break.

LOL...

russbo.com

Comment

A u r from New York.

With respect with the victims, isnt it you who put the bombs inside the world trade center so it would collapse? And after blame it all on Bin Laden.

I ve seen this documentary about the world trade center and the pentagon. The whole thing seems pretty obscure. If i understood correctly a relative of Bush was in charge of the security at world trade center.

Man i would not believe a guy that held that Hussein had massive destruction weapons.

I think we just dont know the truth

Comment

With respect with the victims, isnt it you who put the bombs inside the world trade center so it would collapse? And after blame it all on Bin Laden.
                      whao! what've you gotten yourself into now, doc?
                      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Alright, on topic.

Fa Wang/Weng temple don't give much results, except for some Youtube videos. The article about Shi Heng Jun doesn't point in any directions either.

I found this though: http://www.chinashaolins.com/before.htm

Even though not exactly what I'm looking for, it has nice surroundings.

If anyone could answer my other questions (wushu, monks, training hours etc), that would be great.

Thanks for all the help so far though.

Comment

In the Shaolin Gong Fu Schools section of the Forum / Library here.

Or, you can use the SEARCH function.

Or, you can click on this link: http://www.russbo.org/vb/showthread.php?t=740

There's another thread somewhere in here...

russbo.com

Comment

Oh, thought you meant the website.. My bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X