No announcement yet.

Several Things on Shaolin Gongfu...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh **** it. it's like arguing with a brick wall.

anyway baojian, it's interesting you mentioned that about the name, you're more right than you know. tang soo do is actually older than tae kwon do, but neither can actually be traced back to ancient korea. they're really just japanese imports, as recent as the 20th century. "tang soo do" was just the translation of "karate", which originally meant "chinese hand", and later on became "empty hand" in japan, for political reasons (they could change the meaning by changing a single character the name and retaining the pronunciation of "karate"). when i took tang soo do, i was taught that the name meant "way of the empty fist", with the explanation being that it was for unarmed combat. but black belts learned sword techniques. go figure.

in fact, the first form of tang soo do is exactly the same as the first form of some styles of karate, being an "I" shaped punching and blocking progression, which has its roots in the "I-Shaped Subduing the Tiger Form" of hung gar, which supposedly originated in the shaolin temple.

so even korean martial arts can be traced back to shaolin. that's just interesting to me. anyway, i didn't stick with tang soo do or kenpo, because while their effectiveness was easy to see, it didn't hold my interest the way hung gar does.

- zach
    Last edited by zachsan; 05-05-2004, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I don't know anything about Hung Gar. I just do Shao Lin and Praying Mantis. If all those Martial Arts are traced backed to Shao Lin.. they certainly lost a lot of knowledge.

Comment

wow baojian, i do believe you just won the title of the most closed-minded contributor to this forum.

Comment

What? You think TKD and Karate have more knowledge within their style than Shao Lin? Wow, Zach, you just won the prize of having the least knowledge of these martial arts. Espcially Shao Lin. Which this site is based upon. Go check out some Neokarate forum. That will do you about as much good as what you are learning now. If you continue thinking like this, you will be completely useless in this art. Rather than reading up on Gong Fu and Shao Lin, try practicing it. Knowing the history won't help you. Actually do it and find out.

Comment

lol...

alright master baojian. you convinced me. time to turn my life around.

Comment

Glad you decide to do something useful while you're interested in martial arts.

Comment

Wow.

All that in one day.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

I thought I was the most closed minded contributor!

Damn. No respect.

Comment

yeah sorry man, you have your work cut out for you now.

you could try something like "non-chinese shouldn't practice kung fu!", that would do it.

- zach

Comment

Let me say I think no one other than Chinese should learn Gong Fu. It's part of Chinese history and culture. Not anyone elses. Stick to your own culture. To fully show your respect and loyalty to your culture and history of it. Don't devote all your time to some other culture. If you're a white American, buy a big Harley chopper and ride it around with a big goofy mustache and leather clothes. And get some American tatoos. Leave Chinese Gong Fu alone so it can keep being Chinese and not turn into some bullsh!t like American Kenpo. What the hell is that? American Martial Art? Come on. Chinese Gong Fu certainly doesn't need someone taking Gong Fu and changing it to the way they like it. And Chinese Gong Fu schools need a Chinese flag. I have seen so many Gong Fu schools with American, Taiwanese, and Korean flags only. Why the hell are any of those there? Chinese flag is the only flag that belongs inside a Gong Fu school. If you're not Chinese and you're doing Gong Fu, you're messing it up. Get out of here and do something to mess up your own culture! Not Chinese!
                      P.S. I'm just kidding about this whole post. It's just fun to do that. But honestly though, what's with no Chinese flag in the school? Where's the respect to China? Anyway, I am the most closedminded person on here. And it makes people angry when they don't even know me or see me. Just read a few words. That's really silly and fun to watch. Humans are crazy. Let everything get to them. Such as Zachsan. He sent me a private message all for me about how he respects all Martial Arts and this and that. It was pretty long and devoted just to me, the most closeminded one on here. Why take so much time to bother with me then? Just let me go my own way, you go your own way. And Zachsan, I believe your own way was to be working? LoL. Why aren't you working? You have so much time to argue with me? What are you doing for your country and culture? Haha.

Comment

How old are you?

Comment

that was an impressively depressing battle

thanks brothers!

amitabha
                          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Well, that has to be some sort of record. I mean, that's sh!t load of posts in one day.

Funny thing, and a little interesting, I just got home from seeing that new movie; Mean Girls.

Weird eh?

P.S. Doc, is there some way you can actually turn off the thing that blocks out the swearing?

Peace (I mean it, really).
                            "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Welcome to all. I had fun. I wouldn't let it get to me if I were you guys. It's all just silly. Even more silly than that to let it get to you. It makes for a more interesting forum though. So I think. If it bothers you, don't read the forum anymore. It's not that important to take your happiness. Geesh. And Mortal, my age doesn't matter to you. I don't like males. I don't buzz with the fruit flies. So that's really none of your damn business and I'd like you to stay out of my personal affairs.. (a quote from Ace Ventura. when Dan Marino asked Ace if he had more chewing gum)

Comment

Then I will assume under 18.

Comment

Working...
                                X