No announcement yet.

Tong Bei Quan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Li peng is the most trraditional styled monk of them all.

xing_jian108
    I am suprised at you for the things you have said. It makes me question your skills.

You won't say who your teachers were. I know all Yanmings disciples and they all hold Lipeng in very high regard. To say his movements are goofy. With all due respect you have nerve.

I would like to see some vids of you and what you can do.
    I bet it isn't an eigth of what this master could do. Or what I could do for that matter.

Comment

I agree with you Mortal.

The tapes suck but Lipeng is certainly awesome. If you saw his movement up close you would think he had sick kung fu. The power is so visible in every one of his movements.

Do you think Xinghong's movements are good?

Comment

Once again, as I said, I've never seen him in person. This is the only thing I have seen of him. And others agree the videos aren't all that great. Maybe in person he is much better.

And, well, the movements are goofy in the video. Just look at them. If you know these forms the traditional way, you will see what I mean. And again, maybe it was the video, but he was extremely slow and looked weak and had no hops. But this is just from seeing this one video.

His kicks though, the sidekick had really poor technique and the back kick was pushing straight back with his toes pointed the whole way. It wouldn't be bad if he chambered his sidekick and kicked with his heel on the back kick. The sandbag arts were... strange. What the heck did he think he was doing? Easy way to make money I guess.

Anyway, I don't see how pointing out a few things like this shows anything about my skill. This is all about what I noticed of him. How can you talk about "I would like to see some vids of you and what you can do. I bet it isn't an eigth of what this master could do." You have no idea who you're talking to. You've never seen me, you have no idea what you're talking about. I've been teaching for some years now and I just like to see good technique. Maybe he has it but I didn't see it in the video. And you know, it is MUCH easier to impress a beginner. You can do things half-assed and a beginner will think it's the greatest thing in the world. But once you understand things it's like going back to an old martial arts movie you thought was so cool when you were a kid, and now you see that it really just sucked. There was also a time when I was impressed by any Shao Lin monk. But now as I'm older and have teaching experience I know what to look for and I'm not so easily impressed anymore.

Shi Xing Hong is extremely fast. I'm just not cool with cutting forms and making them faster and fancier for performance purpose. I like fighting and I like fight applications from forms. That's why I like to see good posture, power, speed, and good kicking technique. This is just one video or group of videos. I don't know how much that can tell me. But I didn't see much that I liked.

A mi tuo Fo
        -Xing Jian
        Last edited by xing_jian108; 11-26-2004, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I still say you fight the guy.

bare knuckles.

Comment

Alright, it's not like I've never fought skilled people bare knuckle before.

But another thing to point out...

He doesn't know how to do snap kick, about the most basic kick there is. He brought his leg up straight, slapped his foot, and then bent his knee. WTF? Where's the snap? There's absolutely no power in that. That's not even a kick.

Comment

I went onto americaneuropeanshaolin.com and found no videos...
              Speaking of kicking, I find it the hardest thing to do in the world. Fists, Stances, etc, I believe I have skill in them, but I never seem to have any kicking power. But back to the video, I can't find it...
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

There's a picture of him in a sleeping Luo Han position that says "Original Shaolin Gong-Fu Series". Click it and you can download the video.

Comment

This is a different kick. They are all snap kicks. Some kicks are done with a straight leg and some are done with a bent leg. If you are questioning the kick I have to seriously question your experience. All of yanming's kicks are done the same way.

Comment

This wasn't a different kick. It was just a crap kick. If it's a snap kick, it will have snap in it, which it didn't. You're not going to hurt anything with a kick like that. Shi Yan Ming's kicks aren't like that as far as I have seen. He knows how to do a snap kick.

You're going to question my experience because I don't kick like a retard who has never been in a real fight before. This kick, straight leg to waist high then slap and bend the knee, is not a kick! It's just retarded and wouldn't do any good at all.

Answer me this, how often does ZLP fight? I say fight because it's much different than sparring. So answer me... how often does ZLP fight??

Comment

He does seem slower than I have seen others perform. But by hat do you mean "no hops"? This guy jumps high enough to execute the moves. But he does look pretty lazy in that trailer deal. In some parts, he lets gravity do the work for him. That kick, yes, it does look kinda n00bish. In fact, it looks like something I would do, me being a n00b and all. However, you can tell he is stronger and better than what the video shows. But why does he need to fight often, or even fight for that matter to know how to kick? I've never kicked anyone in a fight and I know my kicks suck just by the feeling I get and the response of the bag and whatnot.

But wuh ev, who are we to be fighting/defending a damn video
                      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

It wasn't my intention to fight the video. I said this was the only thing I've seen of him, and just pointed out somethings that were strange since everyone is acting like since he was a monk he must be so awesome. By this video, I wasn't impressed....

Watching him do those kicks is like watching a modern Wu Shu form. They do goofy kicks that have no combat effectiveness at all. I once did a Wu Shu form with a friend just for fun. Every kick, I would actually have snap and power because I am used to fighting and sparring. I know how to kick in a real fight, which changes the way I would do a kick in a form. I wouldn't let my leg raise straight only waist high and slap the foot and then bend the knee. I would chamber first to get the power and snap the foot out, then rechamber. That's how a snap kick is done. This wasn't even like the high stretch kick where you keep your leg straight. It was waist high. It was meant to be a snap kick. That's why I ask if he has ever been in a fight, which I doubt. Because I'm a fighter, and just for that, I can't do goofy kicks in forms that have no meaning. Just from being a fighter I will put snap where the snap should be. This guy kicks like he has never been in a fight before. And growing up in a temple, I would bet he hasn't.

Remember sparring is much different than fighting. As much as you think, sparring is not fighting! I know the difference. I've had real fights in China, Korea, and USA. I've also done San Shou tournaments. 30-0. So, give me a break. I know what a kick needs to be combat effective. This kick was not!

Comment

The kick you are refering to, is it the one from the lian huan form? If so that particular kick at the moment in the form is done that way. Have you learned lian huan? There are 3 kicks in the form and they are all done a little different. the first is done as a waist high snap kick with a palm or fist strike at the same time. The second kick is a snap kick also but it includes a slap with the right hand to left foot. The third kick, which I think we are talking about, is brought up higher with a straight leg and then is chambered before the elbow strike. I have practiced this form under 3 monk teachers and they all teach the kicks this way. Even Decheng teaches it this way.

Comment

As far as I know there are just two kicks in Lian Huan Quan. It may be different with other people. But each time it is a snap kick. Raising your leg straight with no chamber but chambering after is not a snap kick. There is no snap in that at all. Perhaps you could tell me what you have been told about this kick. Where is the snap? Where is the usefulness? What's the point of it? In what way would this kick be combat effective at all?

Comment

Well, Xing, what can i say. You sound pretty convincing, and it appears you might know what you are talking about.

Still, having said that, you cant just look at a kick and say its useless, or any move for that matter, even if it looks like gravity is "doing the work" for him as someone said. The best thing to do is to really just meet the guyor one of his students and ask him about it.

what gets me though is not your criticism of his technique (which i consider fair and unarbitrary), but your criticism of him as a fighter. I wasnt joking, if you are going to go diss on a renowned master the way you are doing now, seriously consider challenging the guy to a match.

On the whole though, you've picked at my curiosity regarding his fight career, and i am actually kind of curious now of his fighting skills.

Oh, and one more question- who did you study under?

Comment

At first I was never saying anything about him as a fighter. Just that I notice things that were strange to me. Such as the way he moves, his speed, power, his kicking techniques, dropping his sidekick, kicking with his toes only on a backkick, etc.. This was all just from ONE video. I don't know how he does normally. This is just what I saw that was strange to me so I commented.

People liked to turn the tables and question my skills when I haven't even got a video to pick at. Just from my words of observation. I think these people's words were just comments from untrained eyes. I've been teaching for years now and know what to look for in a technique. It's said "you learn most from teaching", and it is ever true. Before you really know anything though, as I said before, everything looks awesome. Like going back to an old martial arts movie you used to love and now see it wasn't all that good. Same thing here. There was a time I thought every Shao Lin monk was awesome just because they were Shao Lin monks. Which is the attitude a lot of people have...

People started questioning my skill as a fighter and what not, so if that's fair enough, then I have to question his skills from this ONE video, that didn't even have him fighting on it. Which is ridiculous of course. But looking at a video and doing that is less ridiculous than questioning someone's skill from simple observations they made.

So, anyway. It's not my wish to challenge him. Simply because I didn't have anything to say about him as a fighter. Just commenting on some of my observations that seemed strange to me. It's when people want to start questioning my fighting skill from my words of observation, then as I said, I can question his fighting skill as well. Both are ridiculous. But if people wish to play that game, that's fine.

Again, I was not questioning fighting skill in the beginning. And it wasn't my intention to talk down about someone's teacher and an obvious master. I just saw things that were strange. Simple as that. I can't talk about those types of things with people who haven't done much or enough to know what to look for. Of course, through their eyes, everything he does is awesome and the way it should be done. I don't wish to knock down their admiring feelings of him. Just want to say it's strange to me. But no one here has shown that they can talk to me about such a thing.

So nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                                X