No announcement yet.

on the training of forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True that! Hey, I'm just starting to train and I'm thrity. So you guys have any advice for a novice? I've been trianing in traditional shaolin for 3 months and going to change schools to train with LiPeng.

Comment

I've got some advice.

As Shi De Cheng says, you climb a mountain one step at a time.

Take it slow. One step at a time.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Do it as much as you can when you first start. Build the basics, it is the key to everything in the future.
        practice wu de

Comment

Stretch every day. And know your limits, know when you're training to hard and when you realize it, slow down. As doc said, take it easy, one step at a time.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

never restrain curiosity.

even if you are told to.

Comment

Originally posted by FloweringLotus
              True that! Hey, I'm just starting to train and I'm thrity. So you guys have any advice for a novice? I've been trianing in traditional shaolin for 3 months and going to change schools to train with LiPeng.

where are you training now?

Comment

hmm

train the basics, then train them some more..
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

lotus, I agree with doc, take it slow. use the time you are exercising to meditate upon what you are doing, and not fight to do it. it is tricky, but once you get the hang of it, you'll begin to understand style in its wider meaning.

Comment

Where can I find Xiao Hong Chuen clips?

Comment

check docs video section the website
                      http://americanshaolinkungfu.org/3.html

Comment

lung pao, nice avatar.
                        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Yeah, and it probably looks better online than it does on whatever shirt it's from.
                          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

i hear people say "train the basics" "you need good basics" but never say exactly what the basics are. (what are they anyway can someone fill me in?)

in martial arts, the legs are super important, you want to get those babies strong in order to perform decent jumps since yore going to be doing alot of lifting and reaping and standing strong and stuff like that. also, you want to build your abdominal region (obliques too, very important if not the most important for throwing) and the strengthen the lower back, very important for balance and structure, plus, you dont want to hurt your back so keep it strong. the lats are also important for pushing and pulling, and you want strong fingers and a strong grip.

shoulders arms, well thats simple enough...

stance training, sit ups, v sits, and various yoga postures for the lower back can help you a great deal. for the lats i suggest getting on one of those forward row machines at the gym.

also the neck is a very important muscle group that is usually overlooked. backbridges and various neck machines at the gym can help wth that.

find your strengths and work your weaknesses, if you are really strong but not too fast, work on your speed, fluidity and grace. if you are fast but not very strong, work on your strength and explosive power.

i think i covered it mostly... now if i could just take my own advice...
                            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Basics refers to like, certain skills and diciplines, rather than the basic state of condition.

A well balanced body is best. Work everything. And as a future reference, the lats are basically a pulling muscle. That's why you work them most when you row or pull (chins). Triceps, deltoids, and pectorals are used for pushing. Oh and as always, they ab/leg combo.
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

depending on the style of the puncher, the lats can also be initiated for a greater effect, some people just use the shoulder. but normally, they are usually used for pulling. in cma, the lats are also used for pushing, and the shoulders as relaxed as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X