No announcement yet.

splits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried, very lightly, to get myself to do splits by stretching daily for a month. My butt won't go lower than about 5 inches off the ground though.

Then I realised I needed to stretch my hamstrings more, and then I got bored and realized I didn't need to do splits for taijiquan.

Go easy on the splits, they're not all that neccessary and its not worth permanently injuring your pelvic girdle to be able to do flashier wushu moves.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

>its not worth permanently injuring your pelvic girdle to be able to do flashier wushu moves.

Agreed. I enjoy being able to do that sorta thing, but, if I was a less flexible person, I wouldn't sweat it.

Comment

Agreed, also. You need to be really careful with something drastic like taking up getting to do the splits. You can also do great harm to your lower back trying or even managing to do the splits.

Comment

That is why I say, take your time. Even 2-3 weeks is an awful short time. I'm 18 years old and I tried once to get there bo doing it every morning for 1 month. It helped alot, but LOL I could hardly walk.
          It's not all that neccesary to do the full split. Just as long as you are fairly flexible, it's fine.
          Like strenghtening training, it's not neccesary to have the ability of lifting lage trunks. Just as long as you are not a vegetable, it's fine.
          The real power of kung fu lies elsewhere.

Comment

Agreed also. A couple of weeks ago I sat in the splits for a little too long and paid for it with very sore thighs for the next couple of days.
            My teacher once told the story of how he once did the splits for too long and had to pack his underwear with paper towels and ice for a couple of days...
            which was really more information than I wanted or needed to know

Comment

Working...
            X