No announcement yet.

How hard do you hit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this strike force measure thing is extremely cool and I've half intended to look into some of these machines you see on the market occassionally myself, but I guess it just hasn't been a priority. For those on the gold coast, dreamworld theme park has one is their arcade with saved records of prior players. Check it out

Zachsan : LOL....... little irrelevant but we'll just take your word for it. After all, what's more important right? :P

Comment

Oh man, the sparring thing...

Okay, lets say this- sparring can teach you things. but having said that, i think that when you do it too often, it kind of warps you. Like it or not, sparring isn't fighting and controlling yourself in one is usually an entire world away from controlling yourself in the other. in my experience, I have fared better in real fights during periods that i did not spar excesively.

That's just how it happens to work for myself- other people may be different. we learn things a bit differently from each other, you and I- I have had to teach myself close to everything i know (some of it has been through interaction with friends). I know, though, that Kristoph is extremely sparring/fight-oriented (by the way, tell him "hi" if he remembers me). It took me no more than two sentences with the guy to get that. I dont think there is anything wrong with sparring per say, I just happen not to be very good at learning from it. Honestly: i don't spar very well. But i dont feel that this has been an impediment in my martial development. There are other things i do for that. To each his own, i guess.

However, for now, i have so much more to learn that its impossible for me to say that at some point i will not start looking for more and more sparring oportunities. Hell, it's happened before.

When i say "Hmm..i wonder how hard i hit.." i dont mean that i ahve never hit anything. I am not even saying i have not hit a person. what i mean is that i dont know how potent my punch really is, because i dont get that many opportunities to use them. And i prefer it that way.
      Last edited by dogchow108; 12-10-2004, 11:15 PM.

Comment

on sparring........

I hear what you're saying, but same with with throws and jazz. At least it gets you used to hitting the ground and increase in pain threshold and reaction under it is sweet regardless of anything else. Sounds like "tough talk", but I'm not really. I just don't like surprises.

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
          I hear what you're saying, but same with with throws and jazz. At least it gets you used to hitting the ground and increase in pain threshold and reaction under it is sweet regardless of anything else. Sounds like "tough talk", but I'm not really. I just don't like surprises.

Blooming Lotus

ok, im not exactly sure i understood you, but ill assume you mean you train throwing and...jazz...to get you used to it so it wont surprize you if it happens in real life.

I can understand this but then you really gotta be careful with the mental stuff...

I have really given up trying to train myself to not be surpriseable, even for specific events. As far as "fight psychology", what i have come to realize is that as soon as you think about it too much, you're already very like to be completely and utterly kidding yourself.
          And i mean this in any way- i mean it like when my brother will sneak up behind me and watch me play computer games for a few minutes before he decides to go ahead and scare the bejeezes out of me, or like when you are just goofing with a friend and they do something totally weird and unexpected and then you think later "man, how didnt i see that", or whetehr you are in a real fight and the guy lands the most obvious right hook on you that you've ever seen. surprize IS part of fighting- if you are traiing to eliminate the element of surprize from your reaction-buttons, you are in some deep **** then when it will really come down to it.

Again, everything in moderation. it is no co-incidence that much of the philosophies that have shaped Asian martial arts deal almost entirely with extremities and how to maintain balance between them.

Comment

I totally see what you are saying, I think I really see where you are coming from. When I sparred a lot (very relative, but compared to now), I got next to nothing out of our open mat type thing unless we really got to mix it up (full range sparring is what I called it). But what I really got to learn control with was practicing a tech. then bringing it through almost a full range; tech, two man set with it, controlled drill, then sparring. Also, we'd do things like kicks only, hands only, etc....

I myself am a lot like you, I've had things come out that I've never used in sparring but, I think if you are able to bring some techs. full gamit, then yes it will help your control, but if you are put onto the mat, and sort of just go at it, seeing what comes, it can actually bring you further from where you want to be (if my assumption is right with what you want from cma, and from our our conversation when I saw you with Randi Li outside the hotel, I think I'm right)..

Oh, and as far as the moderation thing, right on...
            The other thing that I think at least some sparring is needed for is this, coditioning. Conditioning to your body getting hit, tweaked, etc. I've sparred a couple of times with people that if they stuck to it, even for a couple of weeks, would own me, but, they were not used to getting hit, even at 50%, a good punch will phase someone not used to that, you need to get hit a few times to come to a point of where it doesn't phase you as much. It might still sting, but you know not to react to it for a number of reasons. First one that people will usually bring up is letting on you are hurt to your opponent, but I think the bigger one is the reaction time to that hit, will give your opponent another opportunity to strike.
            Last edited by shaolinstylee; 12-11-2004, 04:52 PM.
            practice wu de

Comment

Okay, i can accept that. so let's say it this way:

Sparring has to be done in moderation, in terms of the amount of time and effort you spend in it.

Of that time, only a certain amount of sparring should be "coached" sparring, in the sense that you should be allowed total freedom in a lot of your sparring.

Even then, this will be different from person to person.

For example, when i first started sparring, like the first time ever, i was definately one of those people who would have just balled up and gotten beat up. So, sparring at first helped me dramatically. Up to a point.

I thik that as far as human learning, particular methods tend to reach a point in which they asymptote, for various reasons (suc as frustration, boredom, etc). This is why having various different methods, and several different versions of them, will really help a lot rather than dogmatically sticking to sparring as some of my former teachers have done. If you keep a certain level of variety, your benefit level will not asymptote because there is balance.

Comment

I think your last point is very individual.. some people love doing just drills and sparring, thats it. While wussies like me don't really like getting pounded every day. I'd have to agree on the most part, but, I think that there is one aspect that needs adding... The best way to get good at fighting relatively quickly, is to get in there, and get to pound away on a regular basis... like weekly in the beginning. It is hard that way though, because a lot of people develop bad habits then, and it is hard to get off of that horse. That is where the true merit of a good Lao shir, Shirfu, sifu, sensie, master, or whatever comes into play.
                practice wu de

Comment

here we go again....

I think sparring depends the situation. For instance, I think it's best to avoid situations where you don't know if you will be walking away or not. Too much heavy sparring isn't good. But I like sparring as a training tool, I think in nature many times there is mock fights before the real thing. I can also understand where people get beat and would like some coaching on how to spar.

To me, conditioning is something that should happen by oneself. I think when one conditions themselves they should do it in a controlled environoment. Sure I think someone needs to know how to take a punch. But this is what I like.
                  "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Personally, I think it be best if we could simply set up some times and places, in controlled environments nevertheless, where we can help condition one another to take a good, hard punch. We can use cards to do the scoring.. from 1 to 10. Of course 10 being a knock out.

Participant #1. How hard do you hit....?

Participant #2. really hard.

Participant #1. Ok then, wait, let me go first..

(giggles.. )

g
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by arhat
                      when I was studying a hybrid karate style, we had this thing that you attached to a heavy bag that measured your punches...I can't remember what I got, 70-80lbs pressure per sq inch I want to say...

some guys came to the USAT with a prototype machine that measured power of a punch and kicks, they asked SYM to hit it and after he laid the smackdown a bunch of wires popped out and it broke.

they later came to him with an idea of doing a contest on a tournament circuit, so he developed the rules for their striking contest. You had to use your lead hand or foot, and throw from standing, with no windups or hops.

we saw them at a Baltimore Wushu festival and when he saw them with their new rig he walked over and made as if to line up to take a whack...they went white and were like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...!"
                      what does SYM mean?

Comment

shi yan ming.

Comment

thanx for keeping my thread alive guys

rich and andrew can keep their pizza, if theres no beer you cant lure me out to nyc!!!
                          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Soft beats Hard
                            Hard beats HardSoft
                            Hardsoft beats Soft

Examine Why you practice.
                            if it is only to increase your ego then truly the Guest has thrown out the Host.

Think About this carefully.

Comment

I....I don't know what you mean...
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Looks like we've got a wise guy here.

Time to break out the electric shock treatment.

hahahaha
                                "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X