shin training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops... I messed up on the last post. Here's what I meant to say:

yes we do Maestro. If you have relatives here in the west coast, maybe you can come out and visit us .

Arhat, nobody's been sued. THis is because we maintain a controlled environment. We make it clear that the purpose here is not a contest to see who the better fighter is nor is it a chance to bash each other's brains in. It is made clear that we are here to learn from each other. This attitude is the most important thing we look for when a person wants to spar. It ensures that the participants have a mutual respect for each other so that when one person takes a blow or combo that he/she can't tolerate, the opponent will back off and let him/her gain composure again. Usually, when a person recieves such a hit or combo, he complements his opponent. By custom, it is his duty to ask his opponent where he went wrong to recieve that blow or combo. Sparring always starts off slow. Speed and power is gradually increased with each other's consent. Again, we stress that the purpose of sparring is to learn from each other and grow as a martial artist.

It's interesting that you bring this up because I've seen more schools get sued for sexual harrassment instead. Thanks to the perverts out there, we have to be extra careful when adjusting the position of a(n) leg, arm, head and etc. to correct a student's form. So instead of using our hands to adjust the student's body, we use a stick. It works out well, I guess, since the students feel like they're getting the type of training they see in movies.

Comment

you can count on it

half my family lives in la

and i intend on moving out west anyway..its alot better then connecticut thats for sure...

dunno how soon it will be but i doubt your tradition will die out, it sounds..interesting

btw your sifu ever fight?
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Well I would love to meet with you one day Maestro. I would love to meet more fu-sters period.

LOL... my sifu is always up for sparring. That's why I love the guy so much since he's willing to work one on one with each student, regardless of his/her skill level. His mentality is that he learns as he teaches. you know.. the whole tao te ching stuff with the yin and yang...

Comment

Sparring Cont'd.

It's great to see that other schools have similar methods to ours. No (knock on wood) we've never been sued either, thankfully. Usuall there's an informal progression that someone goes through when they show up. Usually they'll watch for a bit and get a feel for what's going on, then they'll pick someone to spar with. My teacher will watch, and if he thinks that it's the wrong person i.e. not enough experience he'll select someone else for the person or spar with them himself. He spars all the time, in answer to the other question that's been posted, and that's one of the best things about our school imo. It makes the environment more comfortable, and is a great lesson and a privelege to spar with our teacher. It also takes away the "teacher is a god" complex that I've seen in many other schools. In answer to rednoj's question, the most trouble that I had sparring with someone outside of our class was with a no-holds-barred grappler. He was huge, could absorb a lot of punishment, had better than decent striking skills, and once he got me on the ground it was Over. I know very little about grappling, so you can imagine me squirming around trying to get out of whatever nasty thing he was trying to put on me. But I love to spar with larger people that can take and meet out lots of punishment. I'm currently in the Cannon Fist form of our system, and the some of the concepts are to protect your centerline and deliver a blow that will stop your adversary in his tracks. There's no better way to test your proficiency than with some monster in front of you.

Comment

It's good to see that a lot of intelligent commentary is being made about the subject of Real Kung Fu. Real kung fu isn't about who hits the hardest, kicks the highest, leaps the farthest. But those things are part of it. Real kung fu isn't about falling back into the stereotypical Pacifist mode & call it Compassion. But Compassion is part of it. Utterly destroying your opponent with a single stroke- or destroying the entire combination of events that they had presumed to begin with an accutely appropriate interruption of their attacking nature at the very inception of being. Definitely a part of it. Even quoting Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, or Chuang Tzu are parts of the developmental process. And all of these things Must be explored, & taken to the very Nth degree in order to not only fully realize what potentials they offer as developmental or deficiency oriented aspects, but also to help identify their parallels & opposites. This is the importance of True Kung Fu training. I'm glad to see that the majority, not the minority, has all of the right ideas in mind.

Comment

Working...
            X