Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The monks do not have it ( traditional kungfu)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I myself think that if a master teaches you one form, how to use it, and how to train to be expert in it, you have learned a complete system. You haven't learned all of kungfu, or whatever it is you are learning, but you have learned a complete system.

peace

onefocus

Comment

You may have learned a style.. but as far as a system goes, I don't know I'd go that far.
      practice wu de

Comment

A system is they way the teacher teaches, right? The mothods in which the lesson is taught. So in a sense, if you learn a form, you have learned the system.

Or, if it were, like...a belt system, then you can immediately tell from the belts, so one glace and you would be able to determine the system.

I think Onefocus was talking about stlye, though. I don't think that if you learned one form of say, TKD, you would know all of TKD.
        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
          , but there was a time when one person knew all of the shaolin curriculum. It was a time when all the other Shaolin monks were too lame to meditate for weeks on end.
          YOu had me purring right up til then! What freaking time ( post damo himself did any one person know the whole spectrum of shaolin forms ?????!!!! . ) ............ and whotf is too lame ( like you know what gwailo look like from the other end ) for what exactly??? Tread carefully here Lei Yun , I'd hate to loose friends for generalising about things I know nothing of . Read a few books and take a meditation on it and we'll all forgive your offence.

Tianshi

Comment

But you could learn TKD without forms, just like you could learn kung fu without forms. Forms are just another training tool amongst many.
            -Jesse Pasleytm
            "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
              ( post damo himself did any one person know the whole spectrum of shaolin forms ?????!!!!
              Damo didn't know any of the forms.
              They were created long after his time.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Damo had the seeds, but wasn't around long enough to see them grow. But he was the first and only with seeds in his hand so everything was gravy.

Also, BL, I had you purring? I will, from this point forward, try to keep you purring until my dying day.

But as for being too lame, the 5 animals were created to help relieve the tensions and extend the body's durability for the monks, correct? This is because the monks could not withstand the long hours of Chan Buddhism.

And for paz, sure it can. But I think onefocus was talking about learning the system by learning the form.

Comment

Don't be too hung up on the whole Damo thing. He's just a figure in the whole passage of gong fu. If that. The various martial arts that ended up in Shaolin came from many other figures, both before and after Damo.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I am talkin bout Shaolin gong fu and it's curriculum, right? Damo was the OG.

Comment

Nah, he wasn't the OG. If he's real, he didn't do much with respect to traditional gong fu.

I wrote about this somewhere. Maybe in the FAQ section. You can surf through there more easily now, I revamped the navigation system.

russbo.com

Comment

Alright, sounds good.

Comment

Ditto that but how a seed doesn't qualify as the ............... lol.......forget it............ I'm just going to go have a read and keep my thoughts to myself.

cheers

Lotus

Comment

Working...
                          X