A Shaolin Kungfu Instructor killed himself in Flushing, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Happeh
    It has been so long since I wrote in here it was difficult to make sense of this post.

My point was, you said this man was paranoid because he said the other man could find him anywhere.

My point is that the man is not paranoid. Anyone who is a real kung fu person can find other people just as the first man described. It is reality, not paranoia.

Or would it be too scary for you to mention the ideas of esp and telepathy?

Or is that some taboo subject that is not spoken of out loud here as is the custom in many other styles of kung fu?
    Happeh, either:
    1) You're trying to tell me that someone who lived in the temple as well as practising Shaolin in a Chan environment in Dengfeng from the age of 9 is not a "real kung fu person"?
    or
    2) I should disbelieve my own experience, and take your subjective reality regarding all matters Shaolin, over my husband's?

Either way, nether of these propositions make sense, and you also believe in telepathy & ESP. So Happeh our subjective realities are very different.

My reality is that Shaolin are more adept than anyone to disappear off the grid. There's a massive underground network of them, split up into factions. Each faction protects its own from other factions, and they can all move around the network imperceptibly. And a lot of the time we do.

Chicken

you want me to believe your paranoid delusions that they can track each other down anywhere using esp and telepathy, and

Comment

• Hengshan still lies in the Funeral Home

Hengshan still lies in Wu Fu funeral home in China Town. It's more than 50 days..

We changed the date and delayed Hengshan's funeral, because We've been waiting for his parents to come to New York. But finally, his parents changed their mind. They are not coming. They said they are sick again....Then we are told that Guolin sent Liangmei Huang again to China to visit his parents, and sent $10000 Zen Min Bi (China dollars, =about $1400 US Dollars) for "comforting fees".

Yanzhang Shifu set up the account for donation to help Hengshan's parents. ((Contact him directly (doc)))

-- The related news could be seen on Jan. 14 in Singtao Daily, China press, Ming Bao,and World Journal --

All of these are too much. Everything is so wrong. I can't bear any more of these. I finally understand human being could be so evil, so dark. But what is that for?
      Last edited by sanxin; 01-17-2007, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Sanxin,

this is terrible.

Does anyone know how much a funeral costs in NY?

His parents trusted their son to the US and lost him. So Its hardly surprising that they won't come themselves, and given the circumstances, its also no surprising that they are sick.

Thanks for the details.

Chicken

Comment

• The other issue is, did they apply for and get a visa? You know, getting a visa from China at the Beijing embassy is near impossible; typically one to two out of a thousand applicants might get one. Now, these are special circumstances, but, I would think the more appropriate move here, from the embassy standpoint, would be to have the body flown back to China, as opposed to letting the parents go to NY.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

• Doc,

As I've understood it, Hengshan's parents are in reality scared to come to the US, and so are refusing to process the visas.

I have to say I don't think its a good idea to bring them over. In completely different circumstances we had to decide whether to bring Hengxuan's parents to our UK wedding, and because of the culture-shock aspects we both decided against it. They are in their old age, and are happy in their lives, for the time being. We will re-visit this decision again if we wind up bringing up kids in the West, as it is their life expectation that their old age will be integrally involved with bringing up grandchildren.

As far as I understand, the cost of sending a body back is extortionate, and anyway the responsibility of the family... not the US or the Chinese Embassy, and practically Hengshan's family need the money - so I don't think its an option. I think its more realistic to have a cremation and funeral in NY and for someone to bring his ashes back... then funeral with the ashes in China. I think you find that the Chinese are not hung up on what happens to the body, but I think we can see here that a funeral is needed for the community, and besides Hengshan deserves and needs to R.I.P.

Chicken

Comment

• He needs a funeral, and it's been over fifty days.

Is anyone taking responsibility for this?

Or is this just a rehash of his life in NY, where, obviously, no one took any sort of responsibility for him?
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

• If they can't work out how to secure his visa, for sure they can't work out the funeral procedures.

How much does it cost in NY? Who in reality has responsiblity for Hengshan at the moment? The NY State? What is the deadline before the state executes a pauper's funeral? What will this involve?

Please anyone with experience of these things in US give advice!?!

We (Hengxuan & I) are willing to contribute to funeral expenses and ashes expatriation costs. I feel the other warriors here in the UK can also be depended upon to dip their pockets (at least).

Chicken

Comment

• Personally, I think this, yet again, reflects badly upon Guolin and his advisors, whomever they may be.

This incident has been discussed in the Chinese community here in Vegas, of all places. The people who were supposed to be "responsible" for this individual, are not looked upon "well", to say the least. And, as a good Taiwanese friend told me today, it's "typical". He doesn't have the highest regard for how Chinese take care of each other (or others, for that matter), when they come to this country.

Well, I've alluded to that before, in another thread.

This whole thing with Hengshan is a travesty. Eggregious. There's nothing "Buddhist" in any of this.

russbo.com

Comment

• “Hengshan, are you cold over there? Tell me what’s going on...”

On Nov 24, Hengshan committed suicide. But Hengshan’s father didn’t know until one day later. Yanzhang Shifu sent a close relative to talk to him in person. He was afraid they couldn’t bear the sadness. But at the same time, Guolin already had Liangmei Huang to call Hengshan’s father. She told his father she is Hengshan’s god-sister.

On Nov 27, Yanzhang Shifu went to do the identification and autopsy of Hengshan in Queens Hospital in Jamica . (Before we decided to do that, Yangzhang Shifu asked me if Hengshan need to do autopsy. I didn’t know if we should either. But we want to keep Hengshan’s body as complete as possible. We don’t want to bother his body. But after Guolin told the press that Hengshan’s death didn’t look like hanging himself. We just decided to have him to do the autopsy.) Guolin, Yanju, and Liangmei Huang went to the hospital to stop Yanzhan shifu. They had a big conflicts in the hospital. The hospital people told Shifu that he needs the permits from Hengshan’s parents in China for taking care of Hengshan’s body and to do the autopsy. Hospital staffs need to call his parents in China to get the confirmation.

Yanzhang Shifu also need to get the authorized permit paper from Hengshan’s father to hold Hengshan’s funeral. We worry if Guolin took Hengshan’s body, then the truth would be hidden. Guolin sent Liangmei Huang to visit his parents in China. The relative of Hengshan told us that Guolin want to give them money for comforting fee. For some reasons, we tried really hard to get the permit from his parents.

During that period of time, we’ve tried to talk to some people to get the helps, and tried to get his parents to come to his funeral. During that time, Hengshan’s parents told us they were sick. They couldn’t come to the funeral. Finally, we got the permit from his father. We decided to hold the funeral on Nov 18 and 19. The news were announced in China Press. Next day, Hengshan’s father told us he changed his mind. He wants to come to the funeral. We had to cancel the funeral and wait for him to come. But that time, he didn’t have the visa ready yet. So Yangzhang Shifu starts to contact many people to help us to get the visa for Hengshan’s father and his uncle. Through lots of efforts, finally the date of issuing visa was set on 8:30 am, Dec. 3. But at night Shifu was told that his father didn’t go to get the visa. We were very disappointed. After that, we begin to plan the funeral. But then his father told us to hold Hengshan’s body. We had no idea what’s going on. At the same time, his relative told us that Liangmei Huang visit them again. She also sent $10000 Ren Min Bi ( About $14000 US Dollars) to his parents.
                    Last edited by sanxin; 01-20-2007, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• Who is Liangmei? What is her responsibility in all of this? Whose money did she send?

russbo.com

Comment

• LiangMei is Guolin's Shiniang. The money is Guolin's blood money. I think you find that every time Guolin or someone visits Hengshan's family, on Guolin's behalf, they will provide a relatively large amount of cash. It's function is to assuage Guolin's concience. BTW, as we know RMB 10,000 is closer to US$ 1,400. Which is quite a bit for a poor family in the middle of rural China.

Onesp1ng... for all your 叶落归根 deductions, I still maintain that it means that falling leaves return to the roots, i.e. we all like to go home to die, and not your interpretation that families are very hung up on burying relatives in the backyard. Besides, this practise has for long been illegal in Mainland China. (not enough land - if they were still burying bodies on their land, they would have contaminated the food supply a long time ago). Anyway, I think that this is now proving my point, that actually rural Chinese are not very hung-up on what happens to the body after death.

Sanxin on the other hand does seem to be hung up about it, which supports your case... not sure if his reaction is deriving from personal, Western or traditional Chinese beliefs.

At this point in time, Sanxin seems to have been a major support to Yan Zhang in all this. It just seems to me that the situation in Hengshan's family is very dysfunctional. Its very sad that the tug of war taht going on over him was probably too much for Hengshan and probably contributed considerably to his suicide, is still going on over his body.... and also too much for his parents.

At the end of the day, the body is the property of the family, so the instruction has to come from them...

Sanxin, you have my deepest sympathies.

Chicken

Comment

• Liangmei Huang is Guolin's religious follower and supporter. She told the press she is so called Hengshan's "god-sister".

You can see her in the video document of Guolin's press conference. I post the link of the video file before new year. She is the one, who did the opening speech in the very beginning of the conference.

I don't know whose money she sent to Hengshan's parents. But she represents Guolin's Shaolin Temple to "comfort" his parents.

Guolin sent her to visit Hengshan's parents twice in China after Hengshan's death. As Hengshan's relative told us that Guolin has not called even once to his parents. All the messages were spoken from Liangmei Huang to his relatives. The process of funeral becomes very difficult for us after her visiting.

The relationship between her and Guolin is very weird to me. Guolin has yelled at Hengshan many times in front Hengshan's students: not to contact with this woman. He said she "is not a good woman". But I guess this is just one of the relationship tricks that Guolin has been playing.

As Hengshan told us after he got kick out, Liangmei Huang shame him in front of Guolin: " What a shame you still stayed in Shaolin Temple!"
                          Last edited by sanxin; 01-21-2007, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Heng Shan's Funeral

HENG SHAN’S FUNERAL

Love Son, Wong, Ji Mei, Buddhist Name, Shi Heng Shan, born in Zhang Xin Zhen, Lin Quan Hsien, An Huei Province, passed away on November 24, 2006, at his age of 27. His body now rests at Wu Fu Funeral Home. The funeral will be hold at 10:30 AM, Saturday, January 27, 2007. The cremation will be hold at 12:30 at Ching Moo Cremation Center, Brooklyn.

Father : Wong, Ben Chen
                            Mother: Yen, Guei Zhi

Wong, Ji Mei’s (Buddhist Name Shi Heng Shan) funeral is holding at:
                            Wu Fu Funeral Home 五福殯儀館
                            Address: 36 Mulberry Street, China Town, New York
                            Telephone: 212-374-1003
                            Last edited by sanxin; 01-25-2007, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• I'm just curious if there's been any further outcome on this issue.

Reason why I ask, is the other day, I brought Decheng to Chinatown, and he picked up a Chinese newspaper. Apparently, there was discussion in it about Guolin, and his treatment of Hengshan. Decheng made some sort of comment that the newspaper was talking about Guolin and money, and improper care of this "guy that killed himself". After reading it, it was obvious that Decheng wasn't too happy about it.

I found that quite interesting. Hell, it's been quite a while, and the Chinese newspapers in Las Vegas are talking about Guolin's behavior?? And from what I saw, talking about him in a negative light?

russbo.com

Comment

• Guolin apparently has some serious issues with the Chinese government here in Beijing, not only over this embarassing suicide situation, but also with regards to allegedly cheating people out of somewhere in the realm of $350,000, "people" being older women, from what I'm told, of supposedly predominantly Chinese descent.

Got a bad internet connection here...

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X