No announcement yet.

Shi Su Yuan and Shi Su Xi on video!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know like an idiot I almost saw those volumes, but I turned right instead of left and tried to catch up to the other brothers. not speaking chinese, I had no idea yong chan was trying to get me into his room for tea and a chat, which since he did not speak english and I no chinese, probably would have been a lot of mind to mind and nodding.
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Soon a high res version will be available hopefully.
      Last edited by wall; 01-12-2007, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Doc and all,

I'm Shi DeYang's student here in Italy; we've had the pleasure to have him visit in November for 3 weeks (Jackie came as translator ... but that's another story for Doc ), and he was in great spirits and now oversees our teaching program, which is just fantastic.

We have registered www.shideyang.com for him as he wants to build a website about his chinese school; in the meantime there is a 'coming soon' page we've done, and a small page about him at our italian school site.

The documentary was actually taped for me by my father, completely by chance, in 1996, missing the start (he saw what was on the TV and just pressed rec) and the end (the tape finished). Unfortunately therefore I have no idea who made it or when; I assumed about 1995 judging by DeYang's and SuXi's age.

It would actually be great if someone could track down who made it, to 1 - credit them for it, and 2 - get a full and good quality copy of this wonderful "old shaolin" footage.

Best to everyone and if you are ever in Italy come say hi, we are in Milano.

Ciao,

SWGI
        Last edited by SWGI; 01-12-2007, 04:26 PM.

Comment

It may be from before 95. I met Su Yuan in 96 when he and Decheng were living together in the temple itself; he was a bit more frail than what you see in the tape. Deyang, being in his late twenties at the time, cannot be properly "aged".
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by renato
            i was taught a formula regarding ma bu width and I’m wondering if anyone else was...
            • Start feet together.
            • Turn left foot at heel so as to form a 90 degree angle between your two insteps. left toes are facing left and right toes face forward.
            • Pivot the left foot on the big toe 180 degrees so as to leave the space your left foot just occupied empty but maintain the 90 degree angle between your feet. left toes are facing right and of course heel faces left.
            • Rotate your left foot on the heel so as to bring both feet parallel with toes facing forward.
            the perfect way to get your individual width. has anyone else heard this?

I was always thaught that when you turn one leg in(from ma-bu) and put your knee on the ground towards your other foot, the distance between the heel of one foot and the knee of the other leg should be 2 fists.

Comment

one ankle, 2 fists and a knee.

Originally posted by michabusch
              I was always thaught that when you turn one leg in(from ma-bu) and put your knee on the ground towards your other foot, the distance between the heel of one foot and the knee of the other leg should be 2 fists.
              using the forumla i was taught i land up with my knee directly behind my left ankle... that would make your ma-bu wider than mine, by two relative fists.

interestingly enough i've just been reading some of bruce lee's writing and he says your ma-bu should be as narrow as possible.

I guess this is just another one of those WuShu pillars that nobody agrees on...

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
              Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Regarding mabu: master De Yang says that the space between the feet in mabu should be equivalent to about 3 x the lenght of your foot. You should then close or widen slightly depending on your leg lenght and relative feet size, but the 3 x foot-lenght rule gives a good approximate correct position.
                This is traditional of course, modern wushu would be somewhat wider and more "stylized".

Comment

Really nice find. I can't imagine how much of this kind of footage is kept stuffed away somewhere. I was surprised to find only one bookstore in dengfeng with only a small section for martial arts or exercise. and everyone had the same videos for sale. Hey keep em coming. Definitely a nice addition for the site doc!

Comment

Originally posted by hvillarruel
                    And the palm hit to the front it is not fully extended. Like Maestro Shi De Yang and Maestro Shi De Cheng do it every time in the correct way. But we youngers tend to extend more.
                    apparently not everytime. infact, shi decheng does it quite a bit more extended than shi suxi in this video of xiaohongquan:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jiV4hL32hk

but i think this is just a little beefed up for the performance. notice the ending is different. but still i would call this more traditional than modern wushu.

Comment

Working...
                    X