Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doc, im a beginner who needs some advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc, im a beginner who needs some advice!

Doc,

First of all great site! I read your Wu Shu vs Gong fu article and found it to be exactly what I was looking for. My question is i am starting kung fu this saturday (04-10-04) and i was wondering what i should expect? I recently stopped in the place and the guy in there said i should stop by and participate in an open class. Is this how one normally starts the training? Let me know what you think, any advice would be greatly appriciated!

GreyFox

What seems to be the problem? As far as i know, most training is "open". All the places i've been to, the attitude seems to be "just show up and we'll find you something to do".
    The only real problem i can see in a situation like yours is if he's a dumb kungfu-wannabe and he'll make you do some exercises which will destroy your knees or something. Just take good care of yourself; start slow and build it up over the months....
    A good indicator of good training could be that you see older students with remarkable skills (which means someone actually stayed there for a longer time and learned something).

Take care

Comment

Thanks asger. Also is there anything i should do this week to prepare myself, any streches or movements that i should perform. Let me know and thanks for the helf!

greyfox

Comment

Expect nothing.

Actually, not a bad way to go through life. With no expectations, you can't be disappointed. And, as for your first day, take it one step at a time. Have no expectations as to your abilities either.

Go slowly. One step at a time.

Now, Asger, what's with the "Cheye" eyes? Did you get her permission?
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

hay man some straching and runing and working out would help .
          lil monk

Comment

those are my own eyes!!

oh, cheyenne uses the same style, nice .... only, mine arent some manga ****!!

Comment

Ooh. Fighing words. Don't want to tell you what happened to the last guy that took Cheye on...
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

what happen what hapen lol????
                lil monk

Comment

You're not worthy.

Not yet...

russbo.com

Comment

who the hell's cheye?
                    "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

Now you're really in trouble.... LOL

russbo.com

Comment

Must admit, haven't seen Cheye for a while. Let's hope she doesn't have a picture of you Kirvixus, or we might see a master at work!
                        Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

well the only picture I'll put up on here is the arnold starglasses and I'd like to see this Cheye try to take on the governator of California. I mean besides the fact that he's a badass himself he's got additional protection now.
                          "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

If we only had the kirvixus eyes that might be an improvement don't you think? lol
                            Nothing is more frightening than ignorance in action - Goethe

Comment

hell yeah. star glasses are the bomb diggity.

Comment

Working...
                              X