PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 again today

dogchow108
09-11-2004, 07:06 PM
http://members.cox.net/classicweb/Heroes/heroes.htm

lester1/2jr
09-11-2004, 08:55 PM
my stepmother actually lived through both WTC attacks, the 93 one and 9/11.

shaolinstylee
09-13-2004, 01:48 AM
I have friends that survived both as well. Others not so lucky though.

doc
09-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Interesting that there was no "anniversary" bombing anywhere. Kind of makes you wonder what these guys are up to. Or, if our government finally has some sort of control of the situation. I really expected some **** to go down.

Steve
09-13-2004, 11:07 AM
There were a bunch of bombings in Iraq.

Thenightangel
09-13-2004, 01:35 PM
I think that the admin is truthfull in saying that Al-queda's network is in ruins. The few terror attacks, excepting Iraq appear to be isolated incidents. Although maybe the groups responsible for them have or had ties to Al-queda, the size and scope of the attacks aren't as huge and noteworthy as Al-queda's usual attacks. With binnie in hiding or running, he and his lieutenants are finding it hard going. He must have not learned that part of history wherin if you attack the U.S.A., we'll spend any amount of time and money and resources to get you for it.

zachsan
09-13-2004, 07:32 PM
if you're a terrorist right now, it just doesn't make sense, strategically, to stage an attack in the US right now, at least for any purpose other than gaining credibility for your particular faction.

in the immediate sense, it's infinitely quicker and cheaper to stage an attack in iraq, and has a much greater chance of success. also, with the US presidential elections coming up soon, and one of the candidates pledging to get our troops out of there as soon as possible, every new spout of violence is perceived as another step towards the goal of getting the US out of iraq entirely. and honestly, i would say that that perception is accurate. the worse they make the situation in iraq look, the more likely we are to vote for kerry, i think.

a successful attack in the US or on one of our allies on the other hand would probably have the opposite effect. americans who still feel vulnerable to a big terrorist attack at any moment are more likely to vote for bush, and bush wants us to stay in iraq.

i suppose it's all about perception when you're at war with a democracy...

daodejing
09-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Zach, your whiskey haze has granted you a clarity of vision which many will never obtain.

zachsan
09-13-2004, 07:46 PM
i'll drink to that.

mortal
09-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Genius!

dogchow108
09-14-2004, 12:49 AM
largely true...only problem is that even here after September 11th, at least as far as i saw, everyone started going on this binge of apologetics. Granted, the US took initiative and went after these assholes, as i well think they should, but that dosent go to say that most americans will be pro-Bush should another attack here occur.

I think you would have to wait for an attack to happen (or better yet thwart one) before jumping to conclusions as to what effect it would have.

And for the record, Spain was an ally.

shaolinstylee
09-14-2004, 12:51 AM
And so was Russia....

With that, there is another ugly situation, that has blown up in the faces of some...

dogchow108
09-14-2004, 12:55 AM
How do you mean?

shaolinstylee
09-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Have you not watched the news the last few weeks....

all the fighting with the Chechnyene's (I have no idea how to spell that)

I don't mean that they were and now they are not.. just that some refuse to look at what is happening there as terrorism, whether they have a good cause or not...

dogchow108
09-14-2004, 03:48 AM
Oh, ok. yea i agre with you. but actually, i understand that the Chechens denied responsibility or any connection with the people who comitted that hellacious act at the school in Russia...that's why the Russian leadership is pointing at Al Quaeda.

But yea, i also kind of see this phobia people tend to have when it comes to calling terrorism what it is.

shaolinstylee
09-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Well there was that... the two planes, the theater not too long ago, etc.

I wish I had time to read up more. I remember an article in the last two years in Stuff or Maxim or FHM or well one of those almost mags... anywho, it was an interview with a guy who fought with the Chechens... gave their perspective... good read (considering).

zachsan
09-14-2004, 03:13 PM
i honestly don't believe al qaeda had anything to do with that school thing. it just looks to me like a job by chechens that was so botched that they didn't even want to take credit for it. i mean honestly, how much does it rally people to your cause if you managed to get a bunch of kids killed in a school before getting your head blown off in the process?

anyway i'm just making those guesses as to what would happen in the polls based on the prior polls, which suggest that americans think bush is better on terrorism, but maybe wrong in iraq. since terrorism is one of bush's strong issues it only makes sense that he would get a boost in the polls if that issue happened to be brought to the forefront. yet another reason why this race is so unpredictable, since we don't know if or when another attack will be coming.

and honestly, i don't think americans really care enough about a terrorist attack in spain to change their presidential votes because of it. maybe the terrorists that planned it were betting the same thing, and you could definitely say their gambit paid off. spain's out of iraq, and the US didn't exactly get re-invigorated in the war.

mortal
09-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Spain was a huge loss in the war on terror.

dogchow108
09-15-2004, 12:40 AM
what i meant was this- They DID attack one of our Allies, and they continue to behead people. does that make people want to stay more? no. They could just as well attack us here in the US, because people arent going to be disgusted or shocked. You think Saudi Arabia was angry at Al Quaeda for attacking the US on Spet 11th? HA! No matter what they do to us, this is what it boils down to: religious fanatics, which comprize a much larger group than many are willing to admit, will support in principle, if not outright, an attack on the US no matter how its done and no matter how many it kills.

despite the fact that it would be easier in Iraq, it still dosent mean it will help. same goes for Afghanistan.