Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yantai Shaolin Martial Arts Academy, anyone ever been here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yantai Shaolin Martial Arts Academy, anyone ever been here?

Hey,

Just found this site, pretty cool!

Anyways, I want to learn traditional shaolin gung fu in China this summer. From what I've read so far everything is modern wushu, which doesnt do much for me.

I've only found one school that supposedly mainly teaches traditional shaolin gung fu.

Anyone ever been or heard of the Yantai Shaolin Martial Arts Academy? Bad, good, middle of the road?

http://www.chinashaolins.com/index.htm

Do they really teach shaolin/Praying Mantis Fist and Animal Style Forms, or is it all just modern wushu, again?

appreciate the advice.

Try looking in here:

Beware, unless you find an older master, what you'll get in most, if not all of these schools, is basically the same thing. Some traditional forms, more wushu. If the school has young coaches, which almost all of them do, you're pretty much going to learn what they've learned.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Hi there,

I recently just got back from that school, after training for seven months there - but I would not reccommend it at all.

It does not do traditional shaolin, but wushu, which it fails to mention on the website. I ended up switching to Ba-Ji because it has like no applications wotsoever. Even though all the masters are the last generation of the shaolin temple, I didn't realise that was what they taught there now.

Saying that, what they do do looks amazing, even though there's no practicality to it.

Plus the headmaster is the most greedy money grabbing bastard you could imagine, doing it all with a smile on his face - which creates a really bad atmoshpere in the school.

I'd reccommend going here, which a few of my friends switched to half way through their trip. It's more expensive, but well worth it - even if just for the food!! It's primarily a mantis school, but there is one shaolin master there who is supposed to be amazing, with applications every day. Although he didn't go to the temple, he learned his art from his father, who learnt it from his grandfather etc.

The two schools are almost in the same place. and have a huge rivarly, but people really really do not go to the chinashaolin school.

Despite all that I did have an amazing time, but only because of the people I met - well worth doing!

Jenni

Comment

http://www.yantaikungfu.com/

Comment

Working...
        X