Yongxin the sports car enthusiast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yongxin the sports car enthusiast.

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese Buddhist monk has been awarded a luxury sports car for his services to the local tourism industry, stirring up heated debate on the Internet.

Shi Yongxin, the abbot of Shaolin Temple in central Dengfeng, received the $125,000 car at a tourism promotion conference in the city at the beginning of last week, Xinhua news agency said.

"I will try my best to promote martial arts to the world in an attempt to boost local tourism," the abbot, in charge of the temple, the training ground for Kwai Chang Caine in the 1970s "Kung Fu" television series, was quoted as saying.

"I dream of getting a bigger prize next year."

Following the award ceremony, tens of thousands of Chinese posted their opinions on Internet forums or surveys conducted by China's major Web portals.

"Shaolin monks are renowned for their austerity, transcriptions of religious classics and marvellous martial arts, but now, luxury goods have entered their lives, proving that the religious world has been violated by worldly concepts," an anonymous netizen wrote.

Xinhua said about three-quarters of the respondents to the polls considered giving a luxury car to a monk inappropriate.

Those who supported the gift said there was no conflict between driving and praying.

"There aren't any laws to stipulate that monks can't drive a car," said another post, adding that the temple did a lot for local tourism.

Shi announced last year the temple was entering the age of reality TV with a show of its own, "Chinese Kung Fu Star Search".

It was all part of efforts to promote the temple, which has inspired countless movies in China and Hong Kong but is best known in the West for "Grasshopper" Caine.

Wax on, wax off.

Looks like a Volkswagen Taureg to me...

(Thanks to Uwe for pointing this out).
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Is that the chaffeur?

If that is the case Doc, I think you need to get something goin with that Porsche of yours.
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

"I dream of getting a bigger prize next year."

Governor of Henan province perhaps? Gotta keep growing the fiefdom.

Comment

Henry Kissinger and the Abbot

Former US Secretary of State Henry Alfred Kissinger (L front) reads the book edited by Shi Yongxin (R front), head Buddhist abbot of the Songshan Shaolin Temple, central China's Henan Province in this file photo dated May 12, 2005. Shi Yongxin received an honorary PhD degree from the United States Sports Academy recently for his great contributions to protect and propagate culture of Shaolin.

This is what Henry was overheard saying......
        Attached Files
        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Does that car picture look doctored to anyone else? I don't think I see the girls reflection on the car hood....
          The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Come on man, my Photoshop skills are not that good....
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Doc,

well done. We will teach you Photoshop soon. Now lets wait and see what Cheyenne can do with this...
              Last edited by Uwe; 08-26-2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Doc,

by the way the model name of the Car is Touareg which refers to an African tribe.

/////////////////////////Brief overview/////////////////////////

The Touareg tribes of Mali are still caravaneers. Camels carry slabs of salt from the mines of Taodenni back to Timbuktu and on to Nigeria providing the year’s income for the caravaneer. Millet is carried north, sometimes by donkey, to trade for salt. As you cross the desert, you see the lean, blue clad figures striding barefoot across the sands. Tea, strong and sweet, is served in small glasses while the caravan moves. The caravan moves swiftly. There is no time to debate how to get your shot. By the time you have thought, they are in the distance.

Sometimes you will see families traveling with the caravan. Women and children sit in ‘butterfly’ saddles bundled in bright colors that can be seen from great distances on the monochromatic desert. The tribesmen often gesture to you not to take pictures and especially not to come too close to the camels. The animals are not accustomed to strange smelling, strange sounding people running toward them and are likely to bolt or buck. A certain protocol is followed and you need a guide who knows the way of the Touareg if you are to get your photos.

///////////////////////////////////////////End///////////////////////

How about that last phrase in bold. Anyone for comparisons???

Comment

Actually I think that's the people michael palin trecked across the desert with on one of his travel shows..

Comment

Uwe, first of all, I stand corrected. As usual.

Second, of course we all know the Protocol, when it comes to the big guy. Problem is, no one here can afford it.

russbo.com

Comment

I think its kind of funny how different the cultures are versus the same, lets say "modus operandi"

Comment

Yes, now the question is, is their behavior a result of our influence? Are we responsible for this?

I could write a book about this topic....

russbo.com

Comment

That would certainly make an interesting thread.

Comment

Nice dharma wheels.

Comment

Working...
                            X