gym vs not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gym vs not

i was just wondering about weight training versus not. before i started wushu i was big into gym. I recall thinking that tai chi would be so easy as my legs were super strong. a life time of cycling added to that...

i was big time surprised to find that maintaining a stance just killed me! My muscles simply were not used it. Sure i could push 300kg's a few times in a row over 3 or 4 sets but ask me to stand hugging tree for just 5 minutes and i'd be burning like a monk in protest. And it kind of makes sense. you train the muscle to work in the way you'll be using it. With tai chi being more about elongated time periods of control vs sudden bursts of power...

So, what are peoples thoughts on free weights and wushu? i kinda given up on weights... instead of benching i just do as many push-ups as i can. And i don't do squats anymore. jumps, kicks and ma bu for leg strength...

thoughts?

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

It's not that doing weights is not effective for your training. It's just that doing leg presses only works out some muscles (mainly quads) and not all the different muscles that are used doing various stance training.

Here in Thailand, we've built a facility that has a rather complete weight training facility, along with some cardio machines, to supplement people's martial arts training. You rarely find a "school" that combines these different training aspects here in Thailand. If there are weights for training (China also), they tend to be very rudimentary. Personally, I think it's an important addition to one's training, and, something that tends to be overlooked.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

holding mabu for 5-20 minutes etc builds up slow twitch muscle in the legs but more importantly builds up strength in the ligaments..

i feel STRENGTH training is important..whether you use plyometrics or weights..well whatever. but plyo is better for a gung fu man because you build endurance in the muscles, such as with hindu pushups/squats etc

weights build up your muscles, plyometrics strengthen the muscles

its only natural to do things in such a way

but i basically agree with doc
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

That's because leg pressing isn't shit. Try squatting that.

Anyway, stance training and leg pressing really aren't similar. In my experience, they both use the quads more than anything, but that's where the similarities end. On a LP, your range of motion is completely different from a horse. You also require 0 balance on a machine. In a horse, you're going to be using stabalizers and whatnot.

The type of muscle development is another big thing that's different about it. Endurance or Type II fibers are used in the later stages of holding a horse. Type I fibers are the strength ones used in lifting.

And to the original question, since I have been weight training seriously (and intelligently), my ability has shot through the roof. Not to mention the weight I've gained has allowed me to hit harder (physics again).

-edit-
        I just reread your post, and you indicated that you've stopped squatting. I'm going to assume you were doing quater squats, because ATG (ass to grass) squats have allowed me to hold insanely low ma bu (I haven't done any stance holding in a while, but that's where the Type I and II comes in), whereas before I couldn't.

I agree with Maestro, plyo's are a good idea.

And as a final point, your workout routine could have been counter-productive. There are tons of workout routines built around MA'ists and fighters. I can't imagine any real fighters NOT weight training.
        Last edited by LeiYunFat; 11-13-2006, 09:15 AM.
        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

LYF, try squatting about 400 pounds. I used to be able to leg press that on a machine (and more), but attempting to squat that would have amounted to suicide for your lower back and knees. The muscles are one thing, the joints and surrounding ligaments and tendons are quite another.

I agree with the rest of your commentary because you're a good guy.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

leg pressing is good and so are squats, there are effects you get out of one that you dont get from the other

it depends on how you want to train and what your trying to get out of your training
            "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Doc, the squat is a monster, and it takes a lot of technique to do it right...That is to say, I don't think that ligament and tendon damage is completely avoidable when doing squats, but I think that correct technique will aleiviate adverse effects enough to be overshadowed by the benefits.

...But...I'm not the doctor, lawlz *goes to the gym to squat, right now*
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Working...
              X