Dizziness days after training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dizziness days after training

Hi, Friday (two days ago) was the last day I've been doing some training, because I've felt very dizzy after that time. My dizziness is not absent all the time, but my head feels really heavy (especially when I'm in front of the computer/TV). I usually experience dizziness when I relax (close my eyes, sit down) or tilt my head in a not much used direction. I always experience it when I get up of bed. The room doesn't go around (like it does when you spin around and suddenly stop), but I'm not exactly sure of my own position, like, where I put my feet, and my balance is really bad. It lasts for maybe 5-15 seconds.

On Friday I ran 10 minutes warm up, then running at 7mph in 30 minutes, and since I didn't feel exhausted by that time, I added 5 more minutes at 8mph. After that I had 5minutes cool down at 3mph (walking).

When I was finished I wasn't dizzy only tired. Rest of the day also felt normal. First time I experienced it was when I woke up at 2am on Saturday.

I'm 15 years old, eat healthy (fruit, vegetables, meat, whole grain etc), and drink only water, some lemonade and milk in the cereal. I usually sleep from 10pm till 6am (when I get up and train). I also train 6 days a week (interval and running like above mostly + weights if my muscles isn't too sore).

Help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure exactly how to handle this situation..

Sounds to me like you are over training. Try taking a few days off and seeing how you feel. If you take a week off and still feel like garbage go see a doctor. In fact it might not be a bad idea to just see a doctor.
    The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Have to agree with Iron Cross on this one. Every six weeks you should take some time off, rest in an active way, do some stretching, go for walks, or just in general do something that's a little a lighter. Make sure you are eating enough, and drink more 100% fruit juice, like OJ or the Juciy Juice Brands are good too.

Remember, you are 15 years old, and still growing; you don't need to run the risk of overtraining and hurting yourself. Take it easy, you'll have plenty of years to train hard just as long as you allow yourself to relax every once in a while.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Every six weeks. That's a bit funny, cause I think it was around six weeks ago I started to train this much.

So I'll be running easy the upcoming week. No intervals or speed in general. Think I'll take some time off the treadmill too and run/jog more outside. When I think of it I might need some more iron (I'll eat asparagus for dinner today). I had a rather unhealthy winter so I believe the storages might need some heavy refilling..

I do a lot of stretching. I think I'll be able to do the split soon. ^.^

Do you think I maybe should use a HRM to make sure I don't push myself too hard?

PS: I have to ask you guys, I read somewhere that you should not train weights every day, and your abs only every second. However, I don't feel my arms (my legs mostly do fine) become tired before Friday or Saturday, so is it okay I do weights Tuesday, Wed, Thur and Friday, then rest on Saturday and then do weights again on Sunday?

Back home (I'm currently on "vacation" in TX, Houston now), I climb quite much, so I feel my arms kinda do alright.

I'll take a check at the doctor when I get home.

Thanks a lot.
        Last edited by Ub1476; 07-27-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

No you shouldn't lift weights every day, but 3 to 4 days of week for lifting is more than enough.

What does your weight lifting program look like?

In fact, just give a layout of your complete training program, including any martial arts classes you attend and physical activity you do in school if you are not out for summer vacation. Letting me know this will help in figuring out where we could tweak your training so that it benefits you the most.
          "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

Comment

Actually I don't attend to any martial arts classes yet. I tend to study in Asia (probably China), but I'm too young for that now. But you can say I train for future training in Asia. I try to practice some meditation and yoga though.

I haven't written anything down on a paper, since I find it much quicker to bring it up in my mind. However, this is my schedule:

10 minutes warm up, then stretching the legs
            20 minutes interval (10 repetitions), 1:1 (4.5mph and 9.0mph). I run interval Tuesday, Wed and Thu.

Friday and Saturday:
            30 minutes running, 7mph. I feel like raising my speed to maybe 9.2 and 7.2 (I started at 6.8 for instance).

Sunday:
            Long run, 60 minutes, between 5-6mph.

After running I do 5 minutes cool down at 3mph. After that I do complete stretching. I hold one stretch for 40 seconds.

After running I eat breakfast (cereal) so I have energy for the weight training.

In weight training, I start with my legs (I hear it's wise to begin with the largest muscles) and do 15-20 reps. Then I go for my upper body, 10-12 reps. Breast, shoulder and upper back, and finally my arms.

I do two sets, but if I feel I got some juice left, I do three.

When I'm done with the sets, I train the abs (left, mid and right side) 30-40 reps in the mid and 20-25 on the sides.

Then I do some free weights (those which you can hold in one hand). 15-20 pounds for biceps training and 10 pounds for shoulder (lifting my hand out from my body to shoulder height), 10 reps.

If I feel like it, I do 10 push ups and 5-8 hang ups when finished.

Before I take a shower I stretch out again. I might stretch a bit between the sets too though.

By the time I have finished, I've drunken 3 bottles of water. I think I'm quite good a breathing and standing/sitting correct.

If you want me to go more in detail, I got to take notes tomorrow.

And thanks for your guidance!

Almost forgot to mention school activity. It's rather poor. 3 'hours' a week (that makes 2 hours). Ball play and sometimes strength training. We don't learn or do much at all to be honest.

Plus I can mention that I can do 10-20 (as much as 40 more on the legs actually) pounds more than I did 4 weeks ago. That might just be my muscles which are getting familiar with the practice though.
            Last edited by Ub1476; 07-27-2008, 10:29 PM.

Comment

sounds like you do track and some weight lifting on the side. what kind of martial arts training is that lolo

your 15 if you like martial arts why arent u on the wrestling team? or doing some sort of martial art for that matter.

if you are serious about martial arts, my advice is you should get on the wrestling team and get involved into a good martial arts school and spar as much as possible. if u cant find a real teacher, with real skills, go learn mixed martial arts, because atleast you can spar and work on your skills.

skills are far more important then developeing power or speed or flexibility or your cardio or your strength or anything else you can mention. that is if your serious about being a martial artist, all those other things are easy to develope and take little time to cultivate, skills you will cultivate your whole life.

also, all that running and weight lifting and shit might be fun and make u look good or whatever but your 15..unless your a massive beast i would take it light or not do any weight lifting at all. besides, calisthenics are way better for your as a martial artist and they are many more benefits to be had then from weight lifting imho.
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Do you know what specific exercises your doing besides bicep curls (which is a completely unnecessary exercise altogether)?

I recommend you look into Men's Health Power Training by Robert dos Remedios, he's my strength and conditioning mentor. Just look for it on Amazon. You can visit his website as well at CoachDos.com and I am on the forums there as well. Also because of your age, I recommend just doing bodyweight exercises for now until you are older than 16, most teenage clients of mine do predominantly bodyweight exercises.

I think you do too much, and would recommend you cut back on some of the running. Hold a single stretch for only 10-12 seconds max if you are doing static stretching. Any longer and you begin to hurt the muscle fibers, thereby weakening your muscles.

Can I ask you out of curosity why you are waiting to train in China instead of the States?

Comment

I don't do any material arts in the U.S because I live in Norway, Europe. The reason I want to wait is because I have what is called SAD (seasonal affection disorder), which can be quite common in north countries. It's a thing that the body lacks sun, and at least I start to feel very tired (I feel like eating a lot of chocolate or drink tea because of the quick energy it gives). When this happens I also loose motivation for every single thing in the world. It feels like you're getting your life swept off your feet.

I know it sounds a bit dramatic, but that's how it is. When my dad said he had been given a project in TX, Houston, it was one of the best things I had ever heard in my life. So now I live here, and probably have the best time of my life. Because I get sun, training, and for once I feel good.

However, I'm going back in two weeks, and while it's still sun in Norway (summer), it's gone quite quick by late fall until April. My dad has actually shown interest in living here, but there's a lot of stuff which need to fit for that to happen.

Therefore I haven't been in any club for at least 4 years, because I can never trust myself. While I feel good and motivated now, I got have a very low guarantee for that to continue throughout the winter.

I'll take a very easy jog now (I still feel a bit dizzy), and I'll take some notes at the fitness room (I won't train strength this week).

Thank you for your concern guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

Here's the exercises (in the order I use them):

Horizontal leg press
                    Seated leg curl
                    Leg extension
                    Butterfly
                    This exercise didn't have any notes on it, but I sit on a chair and lift a bar/handle (which is connected to the weight).
                    Hi lat pull
                    Vertical chest press
                    Vertical row

Why isn't biceps curl necessary? I thought all muscles in the body had its use?

I'm a bit taller than 180 (that's about 6 something in the US), and weights 141 pounds. I also spoke to a medical student, and he believes it's my vitamin supplements, which I actually recently switched cause we ran out of those we usually use. It could be over training, but it doesn't feel like it.

I wont train any weights in Norway anyway, cause 1: You have to be 16, 2: Prices are ridiculous. I'll train climbing and cycling which in a way feels tougher on my body.

I hope I'm not any trouble..

Comment

Working...
                    X