• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: The Art of War

The Art of War
    by Sun Tzu
    Translated by Stephen F. Kaufman

Stephen F. Kaufman is a 10th Dan karate instructor. Mr.Kaufman founded School of the Snake(Dojo No Hebi) and has authored martial artists books. I feel that part of the practical nature for this version is drawn from this background.

"I leave out the commentaries by alleged ancient masters as to what Sun Tzu supposedly meant. These commentaries were generally give as editications by others so they could tell you their ideas. In reality, who cares what Ch'en Fu thinks about Sun Tzu's hidden meaning about the jade stalk in the midst of the enemy's goldfish pond? We are grown-up and intelligent enough to develop our own understanding without the need for quaint allegories. There is nothinn sacred here. I find that approach unnecessary, limite, and a wast of time to the educated reader. The only comments and clarifications you will ever need should be your and they should be based on your understanding and applications of the knowledge. You should take notes for you own personal needs." Page x, The Art of War

The art of war is broken down to several different books.
    Introduction
    Book 1: Considerations and Estimations for War
    Book 2: Preperations for War
    Book 3: The Nature of Attacks
    Book 4: How to Think of War
    Book 5: Using the Power of Heaven
    Book 6: Fortitude and Fraility
    Book 7: Manipulation of Circumstance
    Book 8: Variations of Changing Positions
    Book 9: The Virtue of Changing Positions
    Book 10: Control and Maintence of Territory
    Book 11: Conducting and Managing Campaigns
    Book 12: Fierceness in Combat
    Book 13: Spies and Traitors

"Sun Tzu lived approximately two thousand years ago-- If in fact he lived at all. In those times, generally, works like The Art Of War were passed along by word of mouth by enlightened people and in time the lessons became corrupted." Introduction, The Art Of War

I respect Hanshi Kaufman, for his desire to present Sun Tzu's works as best he can and let the work speak for itself. He I feel strives for the no nonsense approach. I feel this is best for most people since most people really don't care about what "Ch'en Fu thinks about Sun Tzu's hidden meaning about the jade stalk in the midst of the enemy's goldfish pond". I think it is also good that he wants people to think for themselves. I'm not sure this is the only version I would read however I think if there's only one version you can get, this is the one.

I would have liked it if there was in the back more historical background about the period of China. I think if your one must becareful if your using this book as a guide for business, to remember it was originally ment for soldiers. I'm also not sure compassion doesn't belong in the affairs of state. But that in and of itself is my personal opinion.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

The Art of War is in the Foundations section of the site, along with quite a few other Chinese classics. Just FYI.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Didn't know that, quite nice of you to put it on there for free. Isn't the book a different translation the one I reviewed?
      "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Hey doc, do you have a translation of Sun Tzu done by Uwe? I'd be interested in reading that, as he's one of the better translator's I've come across.

So Uwe, if you're reading, ever translated Sun Tzu, and if so, can you put it in the forum somewhere?
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I like having a hard copy.

Comment

As do I, but if I bother reading another translation, I'm getting one from uwe.
            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Don't have. Not sure if he translated that. But if he has one, I'll be more than happy to publish it on the site.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Working...
              X