X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: The Law and the Martial Arts

The Law and Martial Arts
    By Carl Brown

My greatest complaint about this book is that it's too short. For example, Ax throwing in my state is illegal. It would have been nice it there was more information on it. Other than that I think it's a must for a studio owner. Since they never know when they might find themselves having to defend there actions.

There are a few things I got out of this book. Probably the biggest is that alot of these cases deal with martial artists doing things they shouldn't in the first place. It's kind of sad that has to be said.

What I liked about this book is it includes different things of each state and he talks about the three different weapons often used in martial arts: swords, nunchucka, and shurikans. I alot of studios have these around. He also talks about other weapons.

There some other interesting things. But I would recommend checking out the book for oneself and making their own conclusion.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Another thing I would like to add, is that Butterfly knives are illegal, as are those things with knots in them at the end that are thrown. Another thing is that if a minor discharges a gun inside a house it's a felony. I don't think martial arts weapons should be held to that regard since someone can do the same thing with a baseball bat. Martial arts has a history of adapting to the circumstances.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

The problem with this sort of information is that it varies so much from state to state and city to city. In addition, especially with martial arts weapons, it seems there's a lot of leeway: a random nut job flipping around his katana in a park is much different than a licensed kenjutsu guy.

Green knight...a good idea would be to start a web site geared towards martial artists detailing various local laws.
      -Jesse Pasleytm
      "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Yeah, that is a good idea, and I don't think this book covers everything one needs to know but it's a good start. I really don't have the resources right now to start a website like that.

Comment

Working...
        X