Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Review: Ninjutsu(History and Tradition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: Ninjutsu(History and Tradition)

[CENTER]Ninju[stsu/CENTER]
    History and Tradition
    Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi
    34th Grandmaster of the Togakure Ryu

Do ninja's still exist? Probably not. Do people still do the type of thing probably. Are there people who practice the arts Ninja's left behind? Most certainly, or I wouldn't be writing this book review would I?

What I really liked about this book was the pictures of all the unique items from Dr. Masaki Hatsumi's collection, such as the scrolls, weapons, wooden cannon, use of kama's (lighting them on fire), hidden weapon collection, etc. My own copy of this book is worn from loving use. Of particular note, I think to people of the site would be the shurikan weapons. What I thought was interesting, was two sharpened wooden sticks tied to gether to make a shurikan, and how they practice this book. Another interesting thing, is the use of grappling hooks such as rope bridges, or spider nests.

I have heard there are four parts to ninjustu training: Striking, Kicking, grappling, and weapons. Traditionally, a ninja would have study a general course, then choose a speciality. I thought I was interesting to see some of there stances, which are similiar to what I've studied. Also, in the book, there are hints of the Chinese influence on ninjutus.

The are several things I have have heard as to the origins of Ninjutus: they descended from half crow, and half men, they started out as mountain priests, and they started out as scout samurai. Think what you want to think about how they started out. But I think my teacher said it best, that this really is similiar to what I've already been studying. I think the best thing about this book is it makes me look at things in a new way.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

I read the book GK, and it is interesting. glad you have fun with it. have you ever reviewed any of the works of yang jwing ming??

Comment

Working...
    X