Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taiji girl-Remember I promised you guys a story? Ok, well here it is…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiji girl-Remember I promised you guys a story? Ok, well here it is…

April 30th. Beatiful day, and despite the lack of sleep from the night before, I am as energized and excited as a fat lady looking at pancakes. International Taiji day, and for Taiji practitioners all over Israel, Tel Aviv University is the place to be. Demonstrations, seminars and other attractions such as Thai massage, “Ethnic” food and other commodities were plentiful and a good day was imminent.

Amongst other things, I was excited to see how the Taiji scene and generally the TCMA scene was thriving in Israel. I was not disappointed. The place was packed. Considering the scale of things (small, this country is the size of a matchbox), it was a very successful event. To my delight, there were chen Taiji teachers there (which was the main thing I had wanted to check out) and most of tem had seminars all of which dealt with silk reeling. It was fun, and the teachers really liked me. There seemed to not be an ounce of the typical Israeli machoism that surrounded similar events. But then, this was not to be a competition.

Either way, I noticed during an intermission this girl was going through an odd-looking form. Despite the fact that the sequence was not one of the most aesthetically pleasing things I had ever seen in MA, I was drawn to it. I soon realized why- I recognized her style. She was doing Southern Mantis (yes, Stylee, that Southern Mantis), and a kind which I had only seen deon by one particular Houston school. I came and talked to her, and my guess was right. In fact, she studied under someone in Israel that learned in the Houston school for a number of years. She was really friendly, and was anxious to demonstrate for me some of what they did. It is actually a pretty cool system, with a very interesting way of using and positioning the body to derive power and structure. After that, I went through some of the stuff I did. Wasn’t much. I went through tong Bei Quan and a bit of Xiao Hong Quan. It was the best thing I did all week.

From that moment on, you could count it on the clock. Every 5 minutes someone came to compliment me for my forms (which was really weird, because I generally don’t like to get too much praise for formwork). People seriously wanted to meet me and talk to me. I wonder what I could have gotten if I knew Gou Quan or something, heh. It quickly became apparent that their fascination with what I did came from a complete ignorance of Shaolin MA, and often even Shaolin as an entity entirely. Anyway, I was also doing my usual going from teacher to teacher thing. I got to do Chi Sao with an overlyexcited-to-show-me-up Wing Chun teacher. I got to meet some interesting teachers and work a bit more with them in Silk Reeling (something I really want to get a more solid basis in before I pursue any serious training in Chen Taiji). I also got to run through Yang 24 with a group of Yang guys. Basically, I met a shitload of people, all of whom have invited me to come practice with them. I also got to do a bit more stuff in front of people who were anious as I was to compare styles. It was really cool, and we drew a huge crowd.

The coolest thing that happened tho was when I passed by a Yang School that was practicing push-hands. Since my skill in this is mediocre at best, I wanted to get in on it. Before I had the chance to ask if I could join them this really cute girl comes out of nowhere and asks me (mind you this is all in Hebrew) “Would you mind doing us a favor?” Imagining the “us” had been replaced with a “me”, and hoping for the best, I asked what I could do for her. She asked If I minded “Le-hitz-ta-lem”. Now,the word has a couple of meanings, both of which include a camera. I thought she wanted a picture with me which weirded me the hell out, but I said “umm…ok, sure”. Well, it turned out they wanted me to do a form for them so they could get It on video. Well, it was still kind of weird, but not as weird to me as getting my picture taken. I went through TBQ again, since it is my favorite form. After I was done, I asked them if they could actually do me a favor in return. They gladly invited me to do push-hands with them, and some of the other people from around joined us. My opinion of my push-hands skill was confirmed, of course. But that was no problem. Besides, Cheng Man Jing used to say “invest in loss”- good thing to go by when you’re trying to get better at something and are afraid of getting discouraged. The interesting thing was that this girl that had asked me if I minded being filmed, she really seemed to know what she was doing in the whole push-hands thing. Anyway, at some point the masters demonstration started, and everyone went out to the grass in front of the area that was the stage. A bit later I saw her sitting with one of her friends from earlier. I went to sit next to her. She had picked my curiosity, and its not every day you meet a irl who is both really cute and good in Taiji. Well, to say the least she dwarfed my expectations.

She is about to go to China for half a year to complete a degree in Chinese medicine (Dao, I thought about you). While she is in China, she plans on travelling to places like Chen Village and Shaolin for training. Though I don’t remember what the lineage of her Taiji is, specifically (it is Yang), Her teacher’s Bagua and XingYi come from Honh Yi Xiang’s lineage; like mine. We talked about a lot. About where we see ourselves going in life, what we are into, we talked about Daoism and other things Chinese. I was basically stupified by this girl. I couldn’t believe I was talking to her. At some point I asked her if she was learning Chinese terminology for her Chinese medicine studies, and she said yes. Eventually, the subject of speaking Chinese came up. Bingo! I offered to teach her Chinese, which she accepted gladly. I have stayed in contact with this girl thus far and plan on seeing her posibly this weekend. Anyway, here is the problem. Shortly after she puts her number in my pone, she lets me in on something that had not been said until then. She has a boyfriend. DAAH!!! Thing is, though, she’s not quite sure “where they stand”. I really don’t know how to take that. I’m excited about this girl, and to be honest if she hints at the slightest that she is interested I am definitely going after her. But the problem is that if she is not, I will make a total ass out of myself and seeing as to how I also want to meet her Taiji cohorts, I don’t want that to happen. In fact, I was so surprized that when she said she dosent know where her and her b/f stand, I literally asked her “So, should I take this as a…warning?” She said nonono, not at all! Ok, fine but

Anyway, a few days after I meet her, I call her and we talk. I start telling her about a book that I am thinking of bringing her that we can use, and that she can even keep for a while, and it completely goes over her head that I am talking about teaching her Chinese. She seemd to have totally forgotten even though we had talked about it when I met her and earlier that day in a brief conversatio we had had. That’s good, right?

Anyway, I’ll keep you guys updated on this. Its weird, and fun. In fact, theres a couple of other girls I have recently met but none of them interest me the way this girl does. Baah…I guess we’ll see where this week goes.

Cheers,

DC

PS: Advice is welcome, as the art of girl-chasing is at least as tedious and draining a pursuit as the Martial arts, if not so much more...

DC

They all have boyfriends.

They all find love in the moment.

And,

They all forget.

Remember rule number one. Number two. And number three.

You shall do fine in life. Don't worry about a thing.

And also remember, I am Arhat's father. One day, you too can come over to the dark side of the force. One day, Arhat may teach you the skills necessary to conquer the irrational half of the species....
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

skills? once your foot's in the door, all you need are a few cosmopolitans and a shower.

Comment

Amen zach. Dog, I've met many girl's who have "boyfriends" and only very rarely has that ever been an issue.

Go for it.
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

After seeing the girl that was hanging around you in Dallas last summer, I'd be affraid, very affraid..

lol, good luck with that bro.

practice wu de

Comment

Dude, the unshaved hippie girl was with Bubba (literally...). Although i have to say if she dropped the half-asshed Shanti thing and did a bit of maintenance...

Comment

she seemed to like you though, concidering how much time she spent with you...

I thought she had on wool pants under that getup, and the pachouli oil smell needs to go...
              practice wu de

Comment

A picture of that would no doubt be a russboasia contest winner....
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Now you mention it....

She was undoubtably into chi...

and hair.
                  practice wu de

Comment

She has a boyfriend. DAAH!!! Thing is, though, she’s not quite sure “where they stand”. I really don’t know how to take that.
                    I do.

My interpretation? It all depends on how hard he banged her the night before.

LOL...

Oh, I'm so jaded, cynical, and evil.

russbo.com

Comment

Doc, that was the most amazing way ive ever heard that put.

Stylee, maybe that is why...

On the whole though, i still think she had potential. Minus the yeti hair and the half-assed shanti thing, though, she wasnt that bad looking, was she? I have t say tho, i admire a girl that walks barefoot. unles she goes to the public bathrooms like that Eh, we'll see this year. I'll give Bubba a call and see if theyre coming down.

Comment

Insider Info

ok so at 34, I'm not exactly old, but I might can clue you boys in:

Daodejing is right.

Girls who flirt and then say "I have a boyfriend but things are iffy" are hedging thier bet. If you turn out to be cool, they can say things didn't work out and reel you in. If you turn out to be a loser, they can simply say "well I told you I had a boyfriend". That way, they get all the ego boost and attention, with no strings attached if you turn out to be icky.

If y'all would learn to be aloof when girls do that, act like you don't care, be kinda distant but friendly and then walk away, more often than not they'll chase after you.

is this the girl??
                        Attached Files
                        Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

You're right PFPM. But I don't think girls like that are worth wasting your time on. And you really hit it on the head with the being aloof and not caring part.

Women hate when men "don't care". If they do have any sort of interest at all, then they will wonder why that man isn't chasing after them. Drives them nuts.

But, it's all a game. And I'm personally tired of playing them.

russbo.com

Comment

Yea, I want to say most people grow out of that sh*t, but unfortunately I don't think that's true.

The true secret to attract a smart woman is confidence. If you think you're worth our time, we probably will too.
                            Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

you shouldn't need to pretend not to care. if you're yearning for this girl's approval and love within 5 minutes of meeting her, you've got problems way beyond the world of women. if she likes you, cool, if not, **** it.

just make sure you bring lots of alcohol into the equation. it can only help.

Comment

Working...
                              X