Jeet Kune Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeet Kune Do

Who here has ever studied / researched JKD at any time? What do you think of the "JKD Concepts" vs. "pure" JKD approach?
    "Be Cool" - Lao Tzu

if u do a search on the forum archive there were a few good threads on JKD there

dave
    simple and natural is my method,
    true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

I've studied Jeet Kune Do a bit. I read Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do and put many of its excercises (both philosophical and martial) to use. The volume now sits in my personal library next to Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations." I'm not quite sure what you mean by JKD concepts vs. pure JKD. I've never heard of "JKD concepts." Please elaborate on that.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

JKD has its own martial "politics". Those who teach what Bruce Lee originally taught during the seattle, oakland and LA period, like taky kimura, ted wong, james demille, howard williams etc. and then the dan inosanto people who do "jun fan kung fu" (which i think was the skills bruce taught in their entirety) and "jkd concepts". concepts is basically using the principles of jkd and developing it further - most now involves filipino MA to a great extent.

The "jkd" people rag on the "concepts" people for not clearly following Bruce Lees skill etc. Especially the newer generations - and it all gets caught up in the same "classical mess" that Bruce wanted to be liberated from.

If you look online or on forums you will see more clearly

dave

Comment

To clarify:

JKD "purists" are people who learn "Jeet Kune Do", from scratch, as a martial art on its own, usually from somebody with a direct lineage to Bruce Lee's actual martial arts schools, ie. a lineage to Bruce himself. These people tend to disapprove of people who learn JKD "concepts", ie. people who have studied another martial art, and then read the tao of JKD or some other, similar document, to apply the principles of JKD to their art.

What the JKD purists do not seem to realise is that learning JKD as a style by itself is to go against the very idea of Jeet Kune Do in the first place, because they are learning it as a style with set patterns, forms and techniques, when the whole point, as can be seen from reading Bruce's writings, is to liberate yourself form having ot think within the boundaries of a specific style. They fail to realise that Bruce himself developed JKD through a "concepts" approach- he learnedwing chun, then developed the principles of JKD on top of that. As such, I believe this is the only way to truly learn Jeet Kune Do- ie. not from a teacher, but by yourself, by truly understanding the philosophy behind it. That's why Bruce closed down his schools in the first place.
          "Be Cool" - Lao Tzu

Comment

i think its a bit more complicated mate. JKD is all about simplicity and economy of motion and other principles - so there ARE certain ways of moving and doing things that accomplish those points. Otherwise its a "waste" of energy and motion, which is against the core belief. Thats basically i think what the "jun fan" kung fu element taught now is... but i dunno, only trained with a few JKD people. Dont like their chi sau much, i know that

dave

Comment

That's not more complicated, that's simpler
              "Be Cool" - Lao Tzu

Comment

tao

i read the tao of jeet kune do

what i comes down to is

jeet kune do, and the rest of bruce lees philosophy isnt well thought out

most of "his" philosophical writings were other peoples..im pretty sure he was a philosophy major at berkley to but i dunno..

and the reason he shut down his schools is because he couldnt afford to keep them up and running and he had other things going for him in HK

and jkd..well its full of ideas like..no form..or intercepting fist and all this stupid shit

when really bruce lee was just trying to hard to be something, different and new

its improbably to develope a martial art without forms or techniques

but the concepts behind his martial art werent original

adaptation, evasion, formlessness, etc etc arent new concepts in CMA

the only thing he did that was new(for a CMA) was bounce around like a western boxer

besides that and a few other novel ideas what it comes down to is..

jkd is a waste of time..

reading bwucce wees writings arent..just how i reccomend wkks..they are full of good advice and info but

you better know how to differentiate the "good stuff" from the "bad stuff"
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

woodendummy: i was meaning about the JKD politics not the skill
                  im just glad i have my wing chun and qigong, thats enough for me

dave

Comment

Working...
                  X