Self defense or fighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self defense or fighting

In my reading of Chinese martial arts, I've noticed that Hung Gar and Choy Lay Fut are touted as being particularly effective fighting styles. I know that all arts have their standard bearers who used their techniques to defeat ***, but it seems that the two styles cited are acknowledged by practitioners of other styles as being effective. If there is anything to that I'd appreciate any input you guys can give as well as dissenting opinions and reasons. Also, San Soo is a style that I've come to view as "pure" self-defense. Is it as effective as advertised? Is it sort of Chinese Jujutsu? No offense intended. I can't wait to hear you guys(and gals) expert opinions.
    Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

well I'm not an expert but I have found CLF very effective system the basic technics are really effective and easy to learn and also clf contain large variety of technics.
    I'm not seally sure about Sa soo or san shau I think it just means fighting? sometimes fighting or sparring is called san shau in clf ...

Comment

Grandmaster Jimmy Woo

I have seen only recently, in posts in various forums where people have associated San Soo with sanshou but I believe they are two seperate entities. The San Soo Kung Fu I'm referring to is the style that was imported by Grandmaster Jimmy H. Woo. I have never seen where a practitioner of San Soo has referred to it any other way.
      Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

I don't know if San soo kung fu is it's own system...
        First I thought that it was just the spelling: San soo = San da = san shau in the same way when you can write choy lee fut or choy li fut or choy lay fut . Anyway as I know San da means free fighting were you can use grapling , takedowns etc.. so in many systems when they teach fighting technics they call them san da's...
        maybe someone older kungfu brother here can help you more....

Comment

San Soo and Sans Shou/ San da are different things. San Soo is a martial art system (think of it what you may); where as sans shou is a set of rules for sparring (kickboxing with throws as an overgeneralization). There is some info on kung fu magazines forums concerning both.
          practice wu de

Comment

San Soo questionable?

Does the style of San Soo have a derisive or questionable reputation? I have read on the internet of it's many loyal practitioners and the only taint that I have detected has been when some San Soo stylists seem to have assumed ranking that others question or teach what others term as an incomplete curriculum. This is similar to conflicts that I have seen or heard of from many established and reputable styles with few exceptions. I have noted that it seems to me to be less Kung Fu-ish than Karate-ish but I hardly consider myself qualified to determine that, due to the vastness and diversity of styles and even cultures that practice Kung Fu. Please, expand on the this shaolinstylee or anyone who can contribute. Also, I'm still interested in input about Hung Gar and Choy Lay Fut. Perhaps we can grab the attention of the "all seeing", Doc.

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

The "all seeing doc" knows absolutely nothing about this. He patiently awaits the others to educate him.

Sorry.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Heres my question, what makes one fighting system better than another?
                heres my answer at least, the one doing the martial art is what makes one style better than another. Monkey Kung fu can be better than Gracie Jujitzu, it all depends on who is the one fighting.
                I personally wouldnt try to see which i better, non violence is better.

Comment

I don't know!

I don't know what distinguishes one style as better for fighting or self-defense, definitively. I do know that I've read tons of material over the years and acquired impressions of various styles, both good and bad. That is why I posted this thread to see if anyone, not necessarily experts but anyone who may have experienced or read about the styles cited could contribute their insight. I'm also familiar with the adage that it is the martial artist not the martial art that ultimately determines the effectiveness of any art. I understand what it implies and that is valuable for consideration and contemplation. For right now though, if anyone can, I'd appreciate enlightenment about Choy Lay Fut, Hung Gar or San Soo Kung Fu! No offense intended.

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

I'm not sure, but I beleive CLF either evolved out of, or highly influenced the style of gongfu practiced by the chinese military at some point in time. And that style is pretty far beyond self defense in terms of its purposes. Wasn't it a general or a marshall or something like that who is credited with its inception? Or am I just remembering the rumours attributing Xingyiquan to Marshall Fei Yueh......
                    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Choy lee fut was created by Chan Heung after he had spent learning kung fu from monk Choy fook for 12 years. He named the style after hes mentors and also put the name fut
                      wich means budha because of the CLFs roots in shaolin.
                      I have also heard and read that Chang Heung joined army when Opium wars broke out. he also taught CLF to rebellions against the Manchurians later.
                      (heres more of CLF history
                      :http://www.clfma.com/modules.php?op=...rtid=33&page=1)

maybe in the war time students were taught mainly technics that were easy to learn and use and deadly. but the
                      self defence aspects are taught also in CLF. If we think of any martial art there are technics that are not so nice to the attacker. But there are also those that don't harm that much your opponent. so I don't think that CLF is someway more war orientated than any other kung fu style.

Comment

where does the 'lee' come in?
                        "Arhat, I am your father..."
                        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Chan Heung had three teacher he was first thaught by his uncle Chan Yuen Wu (Hung gar if I remember correctly) and his second teacher was Lee Yau Shan who was a disciple of shaolin monk Jin Sin(from southern shaolin) and Chan Heungs third teacher was monk Choy Fook. Choy comes from Choy Fook and Lee from Lee Yau Shan.

Comment

Lee Koon Hung and Wong Fei Hung

According to Jane Hallender's book, "The Complete Guide to Kung Fu Fighting Styles", many of the southeast asian fighting champions of the 70's and mid 80's were Choy Li Fut practitioners. This was mentioned to support her assertion that Choy Li Fut was especially well-suited for self-defense. The late Grandmaster, Lee Kung Hung was also recognized as one of these champions and he was renowned for his performances versus other styles in his youth. Of course, most of you are probably familiar with the exploits of Wong Fei Hung, of Hung Gar. Although many of his adventures have been embellished, if not totally fabricated, the preponderance of claims seem to be that he was a fantastic martial artist in reality. While I haven't conducted scholarly research, as I reference the many mags and books that I have, I've come across more and more material of this sort that seem to support the "pedigree" of self-defense attributed to these styles.

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

San Soo "cliff's notes"

In an attempt to summarize the style of San Soo Kung Fu, I've going to relate the origin, history and description of the art as well as the person responsible for transmitting the art to the States and training non-Chinese in it.
                              San Soo is reported to have originated in the Kwan Yin monastery in southern China. Chin Siu Dek's(Jimmy H. Woo) great great great grandfather learned the art and after returning to their village, trained their family in the style. Members of the family passed the art on and several acted as regional enforcers of law resembling our modern day Texas rangers. Supposedly, when the young men of the region reached maturity, before they went abroad to seek their destiny they were trained by experts of the style before going on their way.
                              In 1935, the late Grandmaster Woo left China for California. The complete name for the style is Choi(Ga Kuhn How)Lee(Ga Ma)Ho(Ga), San Soo. There are many dedicated inheritors of this style and they seem to remain concentrated in the area that Grandmaster Jimmy H. Woo lived in, California. There are many websites and forums on the internet, from which most of this info was culled.
                              Perhaps someone can infer influences or similar arts by the language listed in the formal title of the art above. Maybe this will trigger a forgotten reference or anecdote that was forgotten. Any guests or visitors who care to contribute your insight, please do!

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X